Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought in my 2002 MAX today for the fuel filter recall, and I asked them to replace my tensioner / pulley with some squealing noise from the belt, they said it would be covered under warranty, and a new belt.

After waiting over 6 hours later, the service guy tells me that they found the noise at the alternator, and it's the bearing in the alternator, and my max has 34,000 miles on it, I can't believe with no pulling, just sitting in the garage and using this for fun and when I need it, and the alternator is gone even before 34,000 miles, this should be a warranty item, just wondering what you can give me for feedback and info, thanks much.

After all this, they would not replace the tensioner and pulley because they determined the problem was the alternator.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If the squeak is gone then yep it was the alternator. I didn't believe it when they had to replace the wheel bearing on my parents 05 equinox at 5k.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well last week when we had a snow storm here in Minneapolis, it was squeeling really bad, but after it warms up, it goes away, today was warmer, and it made little noise, but what I'm looking for is there a TSB for the belt tensioner & pulley for the bad bearings on that??

Someone must have something to say about this.....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone must have something to comment about this one.....

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Well hopefully they are not spinning the alternator by hand with the belt off and hear it chirping, because they all do that, calling it a bad bearing.

I have seen a couple idler pulley bearing fail.

As for warranty, the alternator is covered only under the 3/36, unless you bought an extended warranty that covers it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yea the tech probably took the belt off and spun the alternator over and heard it squeek...they all do that.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
They all do not do that. Don't know about chirps, squeaks etc. but I can hear and feel a bad bearing in an alternator, electric motor etc. You better not hear anything more than the brushes or you have something worn or rubbing. Later! Frank

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys, yea a couple of weeks ago we got cold here and a good snow storm, made the chirping/ wierd belt noise everyone has had, but when it warmed up it's like it never made any noise, I feel that since I have towing coverage, i'll drive it till it makes me take it to a stop.
The stealer cut my belt to get it off, I told the service manager that the tech has to put a wrench on there in oreder to install one, whey didnt they just save the belt for a emergency belt, strike another one for support.

What's everyone installing for alternators, 130 or 145 amp? Is there anything wrong with installing a 145 amp and not ever needing the extra juice with accessories? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts