Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a 550 mile trip and when I was at the stoplights I saw lots of white/blueish smoke. I stopped and smelled the smoke and it was definetely diesel smell. I am talking lots of smoke at idle. No smoke when I step on it.

1.Checked my balance rates with my Predator and all were showing within parameters.
2. Checked oil level it was good with no diesel smell or added quantity in the crankcase.
3. It does not smoke when it is cold.
4. It starts right away cold or warm.
5. No HP Predator program was running. Stock setting for fuel economy.

I am stating the above which usually are symptoms of injector problems which I do not have besides the smoke. I will be taking it to the dealer ASAP but need your opinions on what you think might be the problem.

Thanks,
Marco Polo

·
Registered
90 Posts
How is the coolant level? That smoke might be steam..............

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The coolant level is fine. The smoke was definetely unburned diesel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Animal,
What do you mean three times. You have replaced them three different times??

I hope where I am taking it tommorow they are qualified!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes 3 times in 123000 miles and no mods.Changed fuel every 10k to12k miles.Lost last set while using dual pleat filter.animal

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well dealer called and it was the injectors!!

He actually said it has been Duramax week. He had 4 diesels come in for injectors. Hopefully they have a lot of experience replacing them.

I will pickup the truck Monday and advise on the repair.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, mechanic checked error codes balance rates no problem found. Took off glowplugs one by one, found #3 stuck open. Replaced all 8. Idle is a lot smoother.

I don't mind the white smoke and the two day repair hassle as long as it does not leave me stranded on the side of the road or pukes diesel fuel all over the truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts