Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, my wheel won't come off... I was going to rotate my tires this am, since it was (is) such a nice day and the rear tires have less meat than the front (That's what happens when you have a heavy foot :D ), but the rear wheel WILL NOT COME OFF! As I recall, last time I rotated the tires, I had to kick the tire a little to jar it free, but not this time. I tried penetrating oil in the seam bbetween wheel and hub, carfully hitting the rim on the inside, nothing. Any pearls of wisdom to get the wheel off (Without killing the wheel)?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
With all wheels on ground, loosen nuts of stuck rim slightly, and drive truck forward/reverse, goosing slightly. See if this breaks rim free of hub.
I assume you have aluminum PYO's, which fit tight on hub. The dissimilar metals causes galvanic corrosion, which makes them stick, if not removed periodically. Smearing anti-seize on hub/rim contact areas seems to help prevent this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has happened to me plenty when racing SCCA. Take a sledge and hit the tire either way in or out. You might have to hit it pretty hard.
P.S. Don't hit the wheel. Good luck. :smashfrea

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With all wheels on ground, loosen nuts of stuck rim slightly, and drive truck forward/reverse, goosing slightly. See if this breaks rim free of hub.
I assume you have aluminum PYO's, which fit tight on hub. The dissimilar metals causes galvanic corrosion, which makes them stick, if not removed periodically. Smearing anti-seize on hub/rim contact areas seems to help prevent this.
Excelent tip... Should be made a sticky or something. Worked like a champ. Only thing was I had to more then "slightly loosen" the nuts. Had to back them off about 1/4" so when it borke free, it really broke free.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I heard somewhere that anti seize is bad for aluminum. Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
After I loosen lugnuts and jack it up in the air, I just give the top outside edge of the tire a good wack with the heel of my hand. If that doesn't do it, give a little kick on the bottom edge. Hope it helps.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
modified hit the nail on the head there. I just use a small sledge and smack the back of the tire (NOT the wheel!) when its up in the air, then rotate the tire and smack it again.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Loosen Wheel

Loosen the lugs on the problem wheel about 6 or 7 turns then rock the truck from side to side. You should hear it when it breaks loose. Been there, Done that.

Max

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
You need a bigger hammer.

·
Registered
490 Posts
One kick with my size ten.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
They can stick pretty tight. I had mine freeze when I stone-punctured my right rear in Winter in PA in the middle of nowhere. I kicked it, cursed it, pulled on it, beat on the tire with the tire iron and even pried inside the aluminum wheel against the caliper with no luck. Finally had to shoot a fix-a-flat into the tire and limp it 6 miles to a station on about 6 psi where I filled it up and then drove another 25 miles home. At the house, I sprayed it with penetrating oil and still had to whack the tire with a 6 foot 4x4 to get it off. You better believe I have never-seez on my hubs ever since. I've never heard of a problem with never-seez and aluminum and I've had it under my PYOs for 4 years and over 100K now.

·
Registered
479 Posts
When I dang near broke my ankle trying to kick one of mine off, I resorted to a baseball bat. A couple of good swift hits with it made it pop right off! :ro)

Be careful though, it bounces back pretty good! ):h

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The advice to whack on the tire, shake the truck and drive forward/backwards is all well and good when rotating tires - try to get one of those buggers off with a flat sometime! I sat on the ground (in the slush) and kicked the rim top, bottom, front and back with both feet until I thought it was gonna fall off the jack with no luck.

I've got one important word;

NEVER-SEEZ!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've never heard of a problem with never-seez and aluminum and I've had it under my PYOs for 4 years and over 100K now.[/quote]

I think never seize is made from aluminum dust and an oil of some sort.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The never seize that I have contains aluminum. I have used it on many different aluminum applications and have never had a problem in over 20 years.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I've got one important word;

NEVER-SEEZ!!
Tom hit the nail on the head!

I went down this road a year ago. Some folks might remember. Anyway, Factory rims on for a good 30k miles on salty roads. No never-seize, just about welded on. The ONLY thing, and I mean ONLY thing that worked, and I tried everything, was heat. I warmed the center of the aluminum rim with my propane torch - not intense heat, just enough, and the expansion of the aluminum popped it right off. Thank God for dissimilar metals! Didn't even hurt the clear on the rims. Needless to say, they went back on with never-seize...

So now, whenever I get a new vehicle, first thing to come off is the rims, and a good coat of never-seize in the hub and mating surfaces.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I use a 2x4 wedged between the tire and the leaf spring. Give it a good pull towards you and it should pop off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts