Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been dealing with my long time dealer for a month now on my truck and after having several diagnostic attempts on a P0045,P0046 and P2563 code, they have determined that the turbo is garbage and needs to be replaced. I have 27,000 miles on the truck now and they called me today to tell me that when they took a history flash of what the motor was doing and sent it to GM to be investigated, GM would be able to see that I had been running the EDGE and that with the combination of the EDGE and my lifted truck with oversize wheels a GM rep would have to come inspect the truck and if they were to see the truck and its modifications, they would flat out VOID.... my entire warranty on the whole vehicle. I removed the EDGE and put the CAT back on the truck prior to this. They tell me they can replace the turbo with a new GM turbo for $1400.00 +$800.00 to install. Or they offered me a rebuilt GM turbo for not much less. What should I do, should i fight it, take it to another dealer, I am capable of replacing a turbo myself, but what is the best approach in this situation. I know there are a lot of us running the EDGE, especially guys with lifted trucks. The dealer said" With those big tires on there, and that tuner it makes the turbo work twice as hard and is why it failed". Whats the difference between a lifted truck that never tows a thing, or a stock truck hauling the 10,000lb+ loads its designed for its entire life? B freakn S if you ask ME! Please offer me any input, id very much appreciate it. :help:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I call BS on being able to tell about the Edge. All they can see is that someone accessed the ECU at some point, not what they did or changed. As far as oversized tires overworking the turbo, that's even more crap. Has your truck been regeared? That still won't have much effect either way, but it may help in your arguement. I would try another dealer and see what they have to say. If worse comes to worse, buy a good used LLY or LBZ turbo from another member or Ebay and install it yourself for about 1/4th the cost of GM garage. Good luck and shoot me a PM if you need anything.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
They are full of it.

Go to a different dealer.

These turbos will handle alot more abuse than an Edge can lay down in 27K.

If you decide let them do the charger, take a scribe, and write on the compressor hsg, tell they you need ALL parts returned to you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i have been doing a little research. I just got off the phone with Ken at Imler Diesel in SAC CA. They do most of Nick, the founder of DPs trucks. He told me to make sure I check or remove the finger stick, remove the blocker , clear the codes and see if the truck was put in a limp mode from a faulty finger stick connection. Do you guys think I should put the stock tires on it, put a muffler on it and take it somewhere else? The owner of this dealer ship the truck is at told me if a GM rep came out and saw the truck he was 100% positive they would void the warranty on everything. Not just the turbo or motor. Thats a big thing to think about, Cause a $1400.00 turbo is a lot less then a voided warranty at this point. I know there is a member here that is a technician at GMC truck center in Oakland CA which is right next to the dealer the truck is at now. I need to decide what to do. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
They know you have a edge on it.....how?

Sounds like they are trrying to blackmail you into letting them do all the work and make max $$$ instead of getting paid warantee time for it.

They CANT VOID YOUR ENTIRE WARANTEE! If you put a completely built motor in there with twin pumps and turbos and drive it to GM they cant void your warantee. They can just deny portions that were casued by what ever you did to your truck.

Do they have proof you have the edge?

I'd tell them to get bent in those exact words and take it to another dealer. Too bad you cant turn em into GM for trying to strong arm ya though.....what would you say....they were going to rat me out about mods I had to my truck and strong arming me into paying the whole deal. Probably not a good idea to say that :lol:

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Drive over to the dealer and ask for your keys and drive your truck away without saying another word to them while you decide what to do ;) Dont let them keep or touch your truck.

Its one thing to pay for a screw up you casued....its another for a dealer to strong arm you and lie and manipulate you. Do some investigating yourself and make sure its not one of your mods(might have to pay a tech or something to diagnos for you) and if its not your mods take it to another dealer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only way they know there is or was an EDGE on it is cause I have a EGT probe in the manifold and I left the attitude in the pillar, but just said they were gauges. The owner of the dealership, has an EDGE in his personal truck, for a fact. They just keep telling me that they are so positive GM wont cover it and that by the "snapshot" they took and sent to GM since their moron techs couldn't figure out the problem without me having to fax them Actual info I printed off of the diesel place, they would be able to tell that the truck was getting more fuel and more boost then a truck would without a programmer. I did not remove the finger stick or blocker, but those would never be discovered upon visual inspection, plus I was not getting any EGR codes. I don't really want to go with a huge turbo upgrade because I don't tow that much and don't feel like I should have to come out the pocket for crap like this. PS, I love this place, I have all these responses within 10 minutes of a post. Just awesome, like live tech support

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
PS - Did you check for bent pins (or pushed in) on the bail connectors that the EDGE unit plugged into? You can get all kinds of codes and crappy behavior with one bent pin.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
I do have a serious problem believing they could void your entire warranty regardless.

They certainly would look like boobs if they voided your warranty on your power seats due to an engine modification.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to pick up the truck and go over it with a comb. Check all the connectors, pins, remove the finger stick and blocker plate and start over. The dealer now is telling me they would void my warranty on just the engine, trans, drivetrain Etc. Just a bunch of F#&[email protected](n B.S.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
McRat;1613149; said:
I do have a serious problem believing they could void your entire warranty regardless.

They certainly would look like boobs if they voided your warranty on your power seats due to an engine modification.
The Edge might've caused the turbo to overboost the power seats:Insane:!!!!

·
Banned
84 Posts
It always amazes me when owners modify their vehicle willingly, but then cry and do not want to burden the cost of repair when items related to the modifications fail.

I am sure this view is not going to be popular here, but I agree with GM that the moment you install any "power up" device on your truck that your entire drivetrain warranty should be voided.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yup, your right, we don't want to hear it:blahblah:...................:nutkick:

·
Registered
797 Posts
I remember modifying my V6 231cid GN many years back and with many 1/4 mile passes at the 500hp range my turbo still operates fine.

I have seen turbos die but usually it's a production failure..or if you ran it out of oil..never changed the oil.

Overboosting would be hard on the turbo..if there were a fuel delivery problem, but not bigger tires, and mods that you have done (especially the fact that this is the same as many other DP members have done to their trucks)

Find a dealer that wants your business by earning it !!

Good luck dude!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My dealer is the one that recommended Edge to me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
first of all the whole programmer hurting your turbo is bs. now with that being said at my dealership we have a truck shop that does most of the diesel stuff. and they were told by gm that if a truck comes in with a box they are to call and gm will take action from there. another thing i don't know if you guys know is that gm engineers watch this website and others to see what we do and have done to our trucks. we had a member here no names mentioned, that had his warranty denied because of his posts on this website. so just keep that in your minds when posting. as far as going to another dealer i would as long as the word has not been spread because we also see tha alot as well. one truck is denied and try to take to another local dealer and gm knows this and says no! but yes fight this best you can!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
i agree with the unpopular reality, but who gives up and lays down the fight on the first attempt. iam positive the edge didnt cause this nor my tires. this truck has never been abused nor seen the chip over the towing setting. if i thought i caused the failure id be the first one to open up my wallet, but not this time. off to the dealer in the morning. i apologize for any grammer as iam replying via cell phone.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I know gm is against big tires on D-maxes, so I would put the stockers back on if you can. I have a set sittin in the garage just for that reason. I would definately take out the monitor, and the probe, and go to another dealer. Some dealers are just a pain in the A**! you pay 40-50 grand for a truck, trust me, they have warranty money set aside! and for those against warranty work because of mods--:Get_him: !!

·
Banned
84 Posts
RJWesleyIII;1613798; said:
.....and for those against warranty work because of mods--:Get_him: !!
Ha ha thats funny!

Here is an idea, if you can afford the mods then you can afford to set aside some money for repairs, it is wrong to expect the seller to pick up the tab for your foolishness. It's the old "gotta pay if you wanna play" adage. This thing where everyone acts like teenagers hot rodding expensive trucks but then when they break the expensive toy they want to take off all the evidence that they were abusing it so they don't have to face the consequences of their own actions is dishonest, childish, and cowardly at best. Act like men and take responsibility, don't act like a little kid and hide what you did from mommy and daddy.

And no, I am not saying that the turbo failure is for sure the fault of the Edge because that is a stretch, but it is fairly common knowledge that GM looks for these things, if you flaunt it in their face don't be surprised when they tag you back with warranty denial.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.