Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight leaving work let it warm up 15 mins started to drive cel light came on would not rev passed 2000rpm or shift gears right for a couple miles pulled over then started driving again and would not shift unless i rolled out of the throttle:mad: for about 5 miles then it was fine. I drove home anyway about 65 miles and the cel stayed on the whole time and it shifted kind of bad. Temp about -15 celsius. I dont have a code reader so its off to the stealer in the morning then to walmart for a code reader. Which code reader do i get from wallymart anyway???

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds like your fuel gelled, are you running any additives? My truck did the same thing last week when it was 0 deg f.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
just pm'd ya

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use stanadyne just filled this morning at same station i always do and the talk was at a 1/4 tank. It could be me but the turbo sounded alot different or louder also. Truck did sit in a wide open field all day facing the wind and the temp was about -25 with the windchill factor. But it only did it for 5 mins out of an hour drive. Do i need to clear code or will it go out on its own.

·
Registered
122 Posts
got a story about stanadyne, i used it in nov here in calgary, we dropped to -30c. the first time i used my truck died. the only way i got it runnig is bleeding the fuel filter. changed my fuel filter and fresh take of gas. Left the bottle of stanadyne in my garage(cooler in there than outside), looked at it, it was all crystlized and jelly. Might have been a bad batch, but i won't run it again.

·
Registered
447 Posts
my cel went out on its own.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I started a thread about two weeks ago. The 2006's have a problem when sitting/driving in high winds and snow. The intake in the fender gets partially plugged with snow. The MAF senses a lower air flow and shuts down the engine and transmission. Happened to me two weeks ago while I was going down the highway. Immediatly took it to the dealer. They indicated that GM engineers are aware of the problem but do not have a fix in place yet. Do a search on the topic and you will find my original thread. There are several of us around the country having the problem.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Im betting its code p0081 low rail pressure. Sounds exactly like my truck, been at the shop 6 times for that problem and htey dont have an answer, changed fuel filter 3 different tanks of fuel and plenty of anti gel.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
i used stan. also and it keeps giving me the low fuel rail code also...changed my filter and its okay until i put the performance formula in again...then i get a code again...the other day it was about 20 degrees and had the half gallon container in the back of my truck ...i went to put it in again and it was mush..gelled..hummm...dont know but i am not going to try it again..

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I think these trucks have serious serious problems. My truck keeps going in for low rail pressure. As I said different fuel batches and plenty/different brands of anti gel. Very frustrating, dealer has no clue or fix, he is very helpful and trying but cant figure it out, new fuel filter, checked fuel lines everything. no idea.s

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
To the gentlemen who just condemned Stanadyne !

It says clearly on the bottle to not store it below 32 degrees F. Maybe you did get a bad batch but maybe it is just how you stored it.

I haven't had any problems with it yet. I'm zero degrees most nights here but I do keep my truck in the garage.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Cool may have a point , until you add it to the fuel maybe it does not go through a chemical reaction ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's most likely a fuel issue. You have described to a T what happened to me over the course of several cold days in the upper midwest/great lakes region.

Stanidyne didn't help. Power Service didn't help. One other brand of fuel additive I tried didn't help. The only thing that solved the problem was a shot of Diesel 911. Unfortunately 911 contains alcohol and shouldn't be used in our trucks, but it works ;) I think the issue is that the new ULSD clouds up and clogs the super fine filters in the new '06's and the fuel additives may keep the fuel flowing, but not keep out the particles??

A filter change and good low temp diesel cured my problem. You will throw a P0087 code if you are getting a CEL related to a clogging filter.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I dont believe its fuel around here. I have tried fuel from 4 different suppliers, and I fueled at a mobil where we get fuel for the trucks at work, (which dont get any additive, sit outside, and usally dont get plugged in) , and my truck is the only one acting up (even one of them is a 2005 duramax). I agree I ran power service , howes nad stanadyne and it didnt help, which lead s me to believe its more then fuel.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm pretty sure the change to the finer filter on the '06's is the culprit. Try the 911 and see what happens. At least it will give you a clue. If it clears up, you may be still screwed because it sounds like good fuel is hard to find in your area. I also fueled up multiple places and went through a couple filter changes. Getting to a place that sold good old fashioned #1 was my cure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was code P0299 map sensor code airbox full of water and full of snow!!:mad: :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts