Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 82' c30 dump truck with the 6.2l I've done some oil leak repairs and and I am now trying to figure out. Why at high rpm usually right about when I shift from second to third. I here a popping noise and see some white-ish smoke come from just the drivers side exhaust. Then i feel a small power boost. I have replaced injectors and glow plugs on that side. Engine sounds a little better but still is doing the popping noise. Any help would be appreciated

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,192 Posts
Better off taking the driver side valve cover off and have a look at the valve springs.These do break sometimes on this type of engine.It also happens on the 6.5 engine.Also once the cover is taken off reconnect the injector lines and observe the valve train and see how it looks when running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that was my next step but didn't want to try something that could be a waste of time or the wrong way to go about it

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,192 Posts
It may be a waste of time doing this but no way to know unless you dig into it.Popping noise has to be valve or valve train related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, ended up being the #5 intake valve spring was broken, replaced it truck runs great. ...appreciate the info

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Thanks for the tips, ended up being the #5 intake valve spring was broken, replaced it truck runs great. ...appreciate the info
Glad you got the issue resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!

(y)

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,192 Posts
Being a 82 truck I figured maybe it had an original engine and if that’s the case it has cast rockers which seldom cause problems so I was leaning toward a bad spring.Anyway glad the problem is resolved.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 7 of 7 Posts