Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 26 foot carson TH. Im pulling with a 05 Duramax 4X4 that is lifted 6'' and drives on 35's. I also have the Hypertech programer set on 2. Do i tow on 1,2,3?

I have already ordered the exhaust gas gauge, as well as a brake controller.

What else needs to be done? What am i missing? I have towed plenty of trailers, nothing this big.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
You'll probably need a weight distribution hitch (I like my Equal-I-Zer) with one he!! of a drop.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
heres another...

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So from what i have been told is that a drop hitch should do the trick. I also looked into some air bags for the rear to help level it out.

Anyone use the Hypertech?

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Your going to need a weight distribution hitch, the drop part of it will have to be determined by what will make the trailer level while attacted to your truck.

Hypertech?? Any tuner is fine as long as it has some sort of 'tow safe' mode.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hypertech that i have only has three levels of performance to change, it does not have a tow mode as far as i know.

I have it on #2, but would like to tow in #3 for the extra HP and TQ.

I plan on airbagging the rear to help with the sag.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Level 3 may be too much, you don't want to boil your engine or melt you exhaust. Stock is fine, but if your like everyone else here including me, more is better. I'd stick with level 1 maybe 2. Other may chime in who are running a Hypertech.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going with level 1.

The only problem is that my guages have not come in and I'm leaving on thursday for glamis.

Is my best plan to tow slow without guages to prevent to high of EGT?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
pull out the program, and tow stock. your truck will more than handle it. what are you towing in that 26'?

air bags are a def necessity in your case. firestones are good. friends of mine go with the ford bags, and putthem on the chevy, as they are directly under the frame, and the chevy is not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not even on level 1?

Inside the hauler will be 3 quads, water, food, gear. etc.

I guess safer then sorry.

Just keep it under 65 and i should be okay with no gauges right?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You'll probably be OK, but if you have any grades you'll hit, then I have to agree. Go stock until you get the gauges. Remember that when you hit CA, the speed limit is 55. The CHP seams to be slowly increasing the 'awards' they hand out.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My Hypertech with level 3 easily hits 1400* when I pull my Rhino/quad on a tandem axle trailer or with my 20 ft. boat when pulling above 60-65 mph. It doesn't take much of a grade, head wind, or much speed to put it in the danger zone.

I personally wouldn't try it above level 1, until guages. My neighbor limped his on level 3 going to Flagstaff pulling his Attitude toyhauler trying to run 65 mph. He runs 37s and with 35s your truck is working harder to maintain speed. That is on some 4-6 % grades as you know.

Out!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hypertech *claims* you can tow on all 3 levels, but that is on a stock truck. I wouldn't tow on more than level 1 until you get your gauges. I would also consider 4.10 gears as a minimum for your 35" tires if you plan on towing at all, and 4.56 for the 37" tires people run. At least if you want to get back to anywhere near the stock tow rating. And you still will have all of the compromises that big tires result in when towing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info.

The plan will be 60 mph phoenix Cali,
to the dunes 55(wow thats slow).

Should i focus mostly on the tranny temp in the dash?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I tow on level 3 with the hypertech all the time, but i have guages and can back out if needed, but it rarely is. i wouldnt sweat level one at all, but wait for the guages before towing moe than that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a Hypertech and I keep on level 3 all the time. I have a 29 ft travel trailer and a 24 ft sledhauler. Works great.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Level 3 is for smoking tires and spitting out black smoke when the light turns green. You may as well set it on level 1 and enjoy you 3 hour trip to Glamis. One thing about that ride is there are only a couple of stretches along I-10 with any grades near Quartzite. If you are going by way of Yuma same deal, just a couple of hills to get up.

Have fun!

Out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Level 1 worked good, but i would like more. 2 or 3 would be great.

Towed it the whole way to glamis from phoenix at about 65 with no problems. The hills it slowed down to 55. I probably could have pushed it but figured to stay safe.

The entire way back from Glamis to Phoenix 70 was no problem. I also drained all the sewer and water so it was not loaded with any extra weight.

Guages go on before next pull, as I want more power in the truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts