Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:help:
I have been having a terrible time with a squeaky belt lately. I have put belt dressing on twice and it is still not helping. I noticed today that something is not right; when I lifted the hood to check it again something wasn't spinning. I am not quite sure what the part is. I have attached a picture with an arrow pointing to the part. I don't know if I have too much belt dressing on or maybe the belt isn't tight enough? It only moves a small amount when you push on it!

I need my truck for work but am afraid to drive it. Please help!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
A/C comprssor, won't spin unless the air conditioning is on.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A/C comprssor, won't spin unless the air conditioning is on.
OK, so it's not that big a deal??? Thanks!!!!! It has always been spinning when I have looked?!!!!?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
The belt tensioner could be the problem. Try a new belt and dont use belt dressing.....that stuff sux.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
OK, so it's not that big a deal??? Thanks!!!!! It has always been spinning when I have looked?!!!!?
The A/C was calling for cooling. Turn on the defrost and watch it cycle.

Jim

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Belt dressing is for V-belts..Remember those? about 5/16" wide, cars had about 4 of them doing various tasks....
Belt dressing doesn't belong anywhere near a serpentine belt (which is what our trucks have)
If you want to try to quiet the belt without replacing it, use silicone spray..(I have seen people use chalk as well, with positive results)
You may have to take your belt off and give your pulleys a complete cleaning, as belt dressing may have built up in the grooves...:(

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belt dressing is for V-belts..Remember those? about 5/16" wide, cars had about 4 of them doing various tasks....
Belt dressing doesn't belong anywhere near a serpentine belt (which is what our trucks have)
If you want to try to quiet the belt without replacing it, use silicone spray..(I have seen people use chalk as well, with positive results)
You may have to take your belt off and give your pulleys a complete cleaning, as belt dressing may have built up in the grooves...:(
I have heard that belt dressing is not good in general but didn't know it was bad for serpentine belts (I was desperate!). Would using an engine degreaser clean the pulley's good enough? I thought about cleaning the engine compartment then I could use a silicone spray.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I have heard that belt dressing is not good in general but didn't know it was bad for serpentine belts (I was desperate!). Would using an engine degreaser clean the pulley's good enough? I thought about cleaning the engine compartment then I could use a silicone spray.

Thanks for your help.
Not a problem, this isn't something that everyone knows, that's for sure..Hell, look at the bottle, it says belt dressing, right? Of course, they won't tell you what type of belt NOT to use it on...

I would think brake cleaner might be a better choice than engine degreaser for the pulleys.. :)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Yup Brake cleaner or an Electrical spray of some sort will also work well. Gonna have to buy a new belt also. The one you have will be toast now.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup Brake cleaner or an Electrical spray of some sort will also work well. Gonna have to buy a new belt also. The one you have will be toast now.
Yeah, I thought so. I have a Goodyear on order (apparently they are on National back-order). It should be here in a week or so. I hope the squeak won't drive me totally NUTS before it gets here!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, I thought so. I have a Goodyear on order (apparently they are on National back-order). It should be here in a week or so. I hope the squeak won't drive me totally NUTS before it gets here!
A trick I was taught was to use baby powder on the belt. Sprinkle some on it and it will help to draw out any oil or other junk causing it to squeek. Works the same as driving it in a dusty evvironment. will prolly have to reapply it any time the belt gets wet or every couple of weeks. I have done this before and saved buying a new belt for over 100,000 miles

·
Registered
370 Posts
Probably a bearing on an idler pulley. From my exp, this is the problem on Chevy's 90% of the time when it sounds like "belt squeak"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts