Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned the key this morning and herd a zing slight grind and spin...WTF??? It didnt turn the motor at all. I tried again and it was like nothing ever happend???

Anybody have a clue cause I only have 600 more miles before 36,000.

Thanks,

Smokeymax

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would take it in and see if they will pull and inspect it, but most likely they aren't gonna do anything if they cant duplicate the problem. I would make sure the mounting bolts are tight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Smokeymax-----Get to your dealer and let them take a look. My 04 had 550 miles on it when the starter went out. No warning----It just whined and wouldn't engage. My dealer kept the truck for three days and wound up replacing the starter and flywheel. I've read where some DMAX ring gears were installed backwards. If this is true the starter drive wouldn't properly mesh with the ring gear teeth on start-up. Anyway, get to your dealer now. Even if they can't duplicate the problem they will have your complaint on file. Your SM will be able to help you later if problems occur after warranty. Be SURE to get a copy of your complaint from your service dept.-----------Phil

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had the same problem on two occasions. It sounds like you are ingaging the starter with the engine already running. I guess I need to take my 03 truck in to the dealer. I have 27K miles on it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Definatly take it in. They should be able to inspect the starter and flexplate and find damage from the grinding.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Wow, the same thing happens to someone I know as well. I wonder if there's just a bad batch of starters out there or they just randomly grind.

Ox

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine was starting to grind a couple months ago and would only do this when the motor was cold. Couldn't duplicate at the dealer's but they changed out the starter anyway. The teeth were not chewed at all on the starter and the ring gear was inspected and found to be ok. The tech figured it was possibly the internal gearing in the starter that was doing the grinding while trying to turn over a cold engine. He figured the starter gear would engage the ring gear but the strain of turning over a cold engine caused the internal gears to nash thus causing the problem. Anyway it was repaired under warranty with no hassle from the dealer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Is the start and ring gear covered under the engine warranty or the vehicle warranty?

Reason I ask as I'm over the 60K Km warranty and have had this happen a few times.

·
Registered
233 Posts
WillowCreekStable said:
Is the start and ring gear covered under the engine warranty or the vehicle warranty?

Reason I ask as I'm over the 60K Km warranty and have had this happen a few times.

As I recall the dealer told me the starter is covered with the 3yr/60K warranty and not by the engine warranty. Not sure about the ring gear though. The tech did tell me that the ring gear in these trucks have massive teeth on them and it would take a lot of abuse from the starter to damage them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
How are the batteries?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...My starter did it again today for the second time! She's going under the knife.

Smokeymax

1 - 11 of 11 Posts