Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has intermittent power loss, no codes runs fine. When I put #10,000 behind it sometimes it's gutless or goes like hell. Dealer has had a data recorder on it but to no avail. I need help with some things to look at please!! This has been going round and round for months and nothing new to try. Filters have all been changed many times with AC, WIX and Baldwin. Fuel flush by me has also been tried.Any ideas would be a big help ?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure guage on it?
Could be the lift / transfer pump going out.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
These trucks do not have a factory installed lift/transfer pump!

I would check the harness on the There is a sharp corner where it is tied down to the FICM bracket. cut the tie and inspect the bottom- insulate with a short piece of heater hose and re-tie it. Next I suggest that "Ice Pick" the #2 and #7 injector connectors. These are both common problems with LLY engines.

Next clean the MAF sensor with a approved cleaner.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These trucks do not have a factory installed lift/transfer pump!

I would check the harness on the There is a sharp corner where it is tied down to the FICM bracket. cut the tie and inspect the bottom- insulate with a short piece of heater hose and re-tie it. Next I suggest that "Ice Pick" the #2 and #7 injector connectors. These are both common problems with LLY engines.

Next clean the MAF sensor with a approved cleaner.

Hope this helps.

Where is the FICM bracket ? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
FICM is located to the passenger side of the alternator. It is an aluminum piece-- the harness is tied down with a tie strap. The sharp corner wears into the FICM harness. :eek:

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
If he is experiencing power loss, while insulating the wires at the alt brkt is good PM it won't fix the power loss. If you lose power because of the wire there, you're going to have a bunch of codes and a CEL to go with it. Have the balance rates been checked lately?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he is experiencing power loss, while insulating the wires at the alt brkt is good PM it won't fix the power loss. If you lose power because of the wire there, you're going to have a bunch of codes and a CEL to go with it. Have the balance rates been checked lately?

The balance rates have been checked, more than once but the problem persists. Over 8 months it has not gotten better or worse, just the same intermittent problem. I dose become more pronounced as altitude increases.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
The balance rates have been checked, more than once but the problem persists. Over 8 months it has not gotten better or worse, just the same intermittent problem. I dose become more pronounced as altitude increases.
If the problem worsens as your altitude increases, I would say you have a problem possibly with an airflow sensor somewhere. Thinner air, less power...possible even a leak in the charge air or the intake somewhere??? Have you checked all of your boots to see that they are tight? Compression test the cylinders? Pressurize the intake to check for leaks? The data recorder couldn't pick up anything obvious, now its time to start checking for those things that you have to be six inches tall to be able to climb around under the hood and see them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything checks out I think I'll give the injector flush at the dealer a try.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My bet is that you have a cooling issue.

Purchase an aftermarket device to monitor your actual engine temps and see if high temps are present when you have limited power.

My truck has intermittent power loss, no codes runs fine. When I put #10,000 behind it sometimes it's gutless or goes like hell. Dealer has had a data recorder on it but to no avail. I need help with some things to look at please!! This has been going round and round for months and nothing new to try. Filters have all been changed many times with AC, WIX and Baldwin. Fuel flush by me has also been tried.Any ideas would be a big help ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.