Diesel Place banner

Help Please, Dont know what to do!!!

26K views 191 replies 74 participants last post by  RickDLance 
#1 ·
So two days ago I was pulling my Gooseneck trailer through Illinios on my way up to Bloomington. I work for a Christian rock band and we use my 2005 Chevy 3500 to pull my trailer. I have 40,000 miles on it right now and at 20,000 miles I contacted a couple dealers and vendors to see what I could do to my truck without causing any problems with warrantees, so I decided to go with a MBRP cat delete pipe and a AFE stage 2 air intake. Thats all. SO two days ago I pull off at a truck stop to refuel and I let the truck cool down and shut it off so I can eat. I get back in the truck it starts fine and I pull out of the truck stop and get on the on ramp for the interstate and all of a sudden I loose all my power and the engine flutters and puts out smoke( not sure what color). I pull over and call the dealer they state probably a bad fuel filter. I change it on the side of the street, It wasnt. They did say I could keep driving but just go slow to Bloomington top speed was maybe 40 mph I was still 150mi away. The whole time Im hearing a hi pitch squeal and have no power when I get on the gas. I get it to a Chevy Dealership in Bloomington and as soon as they noticed they CAT delete pipe and cold air intake they refuse my Warranty. HELP their saying I need a whole new engine and a new turbo ($12,000) to get it fixed. Their stating the the truck didnt have enough back pressure so It blew the turbo up. Thats not possible from what ive heard from other Mechs that Ive called today. What do I do?? My truck has had this setup for 20,000 miles and never had any problems. Please someone help.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you check your intercooler lines to make sure the boots didn't blow off? I would hope the dealership would have found it, but maybe they didn't look into it any further and just want to rape you for an easy fix. Also, try and clean your MAF sensor. Use some alcohol or contact cleaner. I can't see how you could have blown your turbo and engine just by those 2 mods. Many people running 4" straight pipe and AFE intake with no problems. Maybe you could limp to another dealer so as long as they didn't try to blacklist your VIN. Did they download any codes? You should have had a check engine light I would think anyway. It is possible you blew you turbo, but if your engine was blown, I don't think you would have been driving anywhere. There will be more knowledgeable people that chime in here soon. Hope everything works out.

#3 ·
Sure sounds like the same symptoms that other people described when their intercooler line blew off.

Dealer is full of BS - find another one.

Is it possible that you put GAS in the tank instead of diesel??

#5 ·
Find another dealer!!! They cant deny warranty if they dont know that those two mods created the situation. I had the intercooler hose blow off once and it gave the same conditions that you are describing. Easy fix even on the side of the road...done it:D .

What Christian rock band do you work for? I'm a huge Christian rock and metal fan:ro) :ro) :ro) .

#7 · (Edited)
Jason, please listen to me. These guys above me are correct. Leave.

Look for the turbo boot popped off like they say, should be easy to find. It should be blowing air all over the place.

If that's not it, if you have your old intake, put it back on, after thoroughly cleaning you maf sensor with alcohol. Go to autozone and ask them to clear your codes (for free).

Please let us know if you still need a new $12,000 motor.

#9 ·
Run away! They apparently know nothing about your truck. Turbos need backpressure like a fish needs a hook in it's mouth. EGT's are the #1 cause of turbo failure, and removing backpressure is a good thing.

It is unlikely your engine is damaged. It IS possible the turbo let loose. But check hoses first, especially the top driver's side hose.

#10 ·
Sounds like the intercooler hose blew off to me also and hes saying he heard a high pitch squeal which would lead to that.

#11 ·
Sounds like the intercooler hose blew off to me also and he's saying he heard a high pitch squeal which would lead to that.
Sure sounds like what I experienced while roll testing an LLY van. I would definitely check the intercooler boot. We found the cause to be a broken clamp from being over-torqued. A lot cheaper that a $12,000 engine. This dealer is trying to "hose" you.!!:eek:

#12 ·
I agree with the rest of the people. The hose does not even have to come all the way off, for your symptoms. Secondly, the dealer/GM must prove the removal of your cat is the cause of the problem to legally deny a warranty issue.Do not continue to work with that dealership. good luck

#13 ·
Continue another quarter mile east past the Chevrolet dealer and you will find a great GMC/Caddy dealership in Bloomington (who also has the Chevy franchise in the next town). I have always had great service at Barker's and they do have a diesel tech who is concerned about customers.

Roger

#14 ·
I love you guys. The truck is in Bloomington Il, and I had to rent a box truck to get to the next shows. Im in Louisville KY now. Ive got to return the box truck on Tuesday. I wonder if the dealer will let me look at my truck. I know he has called GM tech line and some guy from Duramax is supposed to come look at it on Monday. I heard a high pitch whistle while all of this was happening but it wasnt comming from my exhaust, more like the drivers side engine. Im not sure if the dealer already black listed me. He said hes in contact with the GM tech people already about it so i bet so. After I changed the fuel filter on the side of the road and started the truck up it sounded fine, its just when you get into it is when it makes high whistling noises. But when I was idleing in the Walmart parking lot I could hear the VVT turning from the exhaust like it usually does. no weird clunks or anything else. AFter driving to the show the turck still sounded fine when I kept it out of the turbo range. How would I have gotten that far if the engine was shot??? I guess Ill know more on Monday. Would it be a good idea to tell the Dealer to look at the intercooler lines or should I keep that to myself and just show up and ask to look at it?? Ill keep you posted on this. Thanks a lot guys. Pray for me...

By the way I work for Newsboys. Chrisitan rock band thats been around for 20 years. I'm their truck driver, truck owner, Drum tech, CO2 / speacial effects guy, and last but not least Stage Manager. Great times. Take care guys.

#21 ·
Pray for me...
That's not going to work. Get your *** in the truck and drive away, Jeff will help you. The dealer has already told you that he is planning to rape you. Wake up call. GET OUT!

#16 ·
The other thing would be, do you have your old cat pipe? If not, I still have mine around and if you want it, you could pay for shipping and I'll send it to you. I have 130K miles on my truck and had the cat delete since 20K miles. It does sound like the boot popped off and the techs at that dealership might not be the sharpest tools in the box. If the engine was shot, you would have noticed more problems, I believe.

#17 ·
Ive got all of my old pipes and air intakes. It just sucks that its all the way in IL and im in Nashville. If I could just get this all fixed Ill stay stock till 100,000mi for sure. What sucks is when I bought the Extended warranty the dealership that I bought the truck from in GA did waranty work that day and they would have saw the new air intake and no cat. How can they sell me an extended warranty and not warn me that those two things are going to hurt the warranty.

Im also sure that i bought diesel. Green hose, Receipt and It foamed out of the tank a lil like diesel does.

I wonder If I could get the other dealership that Wq93 is talking about to come and tow the truck to their shop. Got a phone number??

I was going to go buy a new Kodiak 5500 this week but now I cant trade this 3500 in until I get it working again. Stuffs up all of my extra income.

#18 ·
When you get back to Lehman's, look directly east and you can see Barker's from the Lehman's lot. Your truck would currently be at the corner of Veteran's parkway and Morrisey, Barker is at the next intersection (corner of Commerce and Veteran's) to the east on Veteran's parkway.

Roger

#20 ·
Alright, Jason...

I live about 20 miles from that dealership. If you want when you get back to Bloomington, give me a call (Jeff 309-258-0671) and you can limp it out to my house. I've got EFI Live and we can scan it and take it for a ride to try to narrow it down. My garage will also fit a dually, and it's heated, so we can go over the engine with a fine tooth comb, looking for a blowed off intercooler hose. I also have an LLY cat converter in my basement and we could throw my stock intake setup on it before you take it to a new dealer.

Lemme know,
Jeff

#22 ·
Do what KillerBee says. Get your truck away from that dealer immediately, if not sooner. Go to Jeff's house and diagnose it. It's something simple...and its probably the intercooler boot.

If you drink beer, I know he has a fridge full of quality stuff!

#24 ·
Do what KillerBee says. Get your truck away from that dealer immediately, if not sooner. Go to Jeff's house and diagnose it. It's something simple...and its probably the intercooler boot.

If you drink beer, I know he has a fridge full of quality stuff!
Well it's not top quality, but it'll get the job done!!!:drinking:

I was thinking that it might also be the FICM wiring, shorting out against the bracket. Mine was LOOOW on power, surging, and smoking like crazy when that one injector shorted out. SUPER simple fix, 10 minutes worth.

Let's get that ol' girl fixed and get you back on the road!

Attachments

#23 ·
just becuase you got it from a diesel pump doesnt that you got diesel . it happened to us on a trip when the truck was new on a trip fueled up and when we got down to 1\3 of a tank it started to smoke we got of the freeway and got the trailer parked . next morning took it out to see if it wouid change it ran the same . went to a dealer empted the tank and a new filter ran fine after that thay said thay thought thay smellt gas in it

#25 ·
lastest news. dealer stating that since the CAT is off the truck didnt have back pressure causing the turbo to bend the shaft in it. then he calls later stating its going to cost $5,500 to get a new turbo on it and all of the gaskets and time to fix it. So i call him back a couple hours later and he states that the truck had too much back pressure because the cat was off and that the turbo was under load and bent the shaft. Theyve already black listed me also. Looks like I might just have to go to court over this. This all sucks. I know they have to prove that the cat is the reason the turbo broke, but how do i take it up to the higherarchy. Im heading up to IL tomorrow. hopefully ill know more..

#26 · (Edited)
I know they have to prove that the cat is the reason the turbo broke, .
No, they don't. This is not a MM warranty issue involving aftermarket products. You wanted advice, but not willing to take it, so

I really wish you luck. Now it IS time to pray. You have built yourself a world of hurt.

Edit: PS: I do really appreciate what you are doing with the kids.

#27 ·
5500 bucks you can get a better turbo than the stock turbo for that much tell them you just want your truck back and go to jeffs house

#29 ·
the dealer is giving you conflicting stories. first not enough back pressure, then too much:rolleyes: If removing the cat increased back pressure (too much) why did the LB7's come without a cat?

Get your truck from the dealer and run as fast as you can:)

#35 ·
the dealer is giving you conflicting stories. first not enough back pressure, then too much:rolleyes: If removing the cat increased back pressure (too much) why did the LB7's come without a cat?

Get your truck from the dealer and run as fast as you can:)
Is this true? Did LB7's come without a cat? :eek:

Run away from that dealership! What a crock! They always want to sell you the warranty but never let you use it. Censored

#31 ·
Listen To What These Experts Are Saying!!!!!!!!! Go To The Dealer And Tell Them You Are There To Pick Up Your Truck, Don't Take No For An Answer!!!!!!! Get Your Truck Out Of There Now!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.