Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric,

Help....

I have the dreaded passenger side water leak.

Notice a small pool on my floor liners.

I believe it's the OH clearance lamps....but which one?

And what are people doing to fix it,

replace the gasket,

silicon between lamp and gasket or

silicon between gasket and body?

2001 Silverado..

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2948&get=last#28760

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had the same thing, only on the drivers side.. Turned out to be the weatherstripping on the side of the windshield. The dealer told me it wasn't the first to have a leak there.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I'd have to agree look for a different source of water inlet as the Cab Lights only seep a little when leaking,not soak the passenger floor ...

Mac

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't say that there is a saoking of the floor, but would call it LESS than an ounce.

Pulling the glove compartment out I can feel that the foam/filter on the recirc door if moist. There fore I would think it's above that.

Now how the water comes in the OH lamp or in through the side w/s and traverses that far it amazing. I'm sure it's capable of it and more....

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
When mine leaks it came down by the overhead console ... I haven't fixed mine and only leaks occasionaly ...Odd to say the least ....I have to beleive it's the center one ...

Mac

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 02 sierra 1500 had the same thing an passenger side floor, sounded like water sloching around heat box?? esp after washing the truck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...I tore into it.

removed the passenger's side plastic trim, and in the 'A-piller' pocket there was water

And upon removing the floor liner and carpeting the padding was SOAKED

I removed the OH lights and those are not leaking...could the windshield seal, as fore mentioned, leak in water behind the plastic trim between metal panel down the a-piller to get under the carpet?

Any possibility water can intrud from the passengers front tire well??

I say this cuz I just had the RF wheel liner off to put an EGT probe in this past weekend...or is it coincidence??

·
Registered
958 Posts
Mine was the same, with the windshield seal leak, the carpet/underlay were soaked on the drivers side. I could feel it dripping in front of the clutch pedal. I bet that's what it is on yours.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Camstyn said:
Mine was the same, with the windshield seal leak, the carpet/underlay were soaked on the drivers side. I could feel it dripping in front of the clutch pedal. I bet that's what it is on yours.

Camstyn,

How did you repair it?

Or did you have a glass place R&R ?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mic,
It is really difficult to remove the OEM windshield without breaking it on the 01.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
now that you have it all apart, get a fan in there and dry out the floor/padding. while the trim is off, this is a good time to look for leaks, you may want to drop the front of the headliner. get somebdy to hose you down. A trick i use is talcum powder on the sheet metal, the water will make it run and the leak will be easier to find.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had the dealer fix it under warranty Mic.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip Dmaxallitech.

I'll try the talc..was hosing her down yesterday and iced up the driveway.

And yes I have been trying to dry her out. Been parking her in the (recently heat added) barn with the doors open and a fan blowing.

Think I MAY have it nailed down. IF pour water at the base of the PS windshield at the corner... I can see water starting to pool in the A-piller. With the trim off, there is a 'void with a plastic push-pin-tree coming up from UNDER the truck....??? If I remove it the water would drain from this pocket...but I can not see what it is hold up from the under side (the outside body molding if blocking my view).Edited by: Mic_

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine had a leak on the drivers side, took'em 2weeks to find it. The body connection between the A pillar and the roof wasn't sealed well. Take that padding out and chuck it, mold is bad stuff. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts