Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well friends, thought I was well on my way just getting everything buttoned up and ready to start in a few days, but for all my planning and foresight I missed the fact that my original air filter intake to the new larger turbo wasn't going to fit. Just when you thought you had it all handled.

First of all this is a 94 class a motor home with a 93 6.5L TD. I bought a Ted's pull and have been modifying it and trying to do everything I can to make it bomb proof and reliable for hopefully the next 100K miles plus.

This engine is not easily accessible, however I'm sure some of you would argue the point. You have to remove the radiator, oil and transmission cooler and a good sized steel fan shroud. There is also a little baffling to take out, etc. Then a direct drive steel fan (no clutch). No fenders to deal with, but the vehicle frame is tight. The engine had to be removed and replaced from the bottom by removing it and the cross brace (carrier) at the same time. There was no way to remove it straight out as I would have had to cut quite a bit of the frame with a torch and I am not a welder.

Anyway the air filter is such that it is not lined up so that I can just use some ABS, and that is where I am asking you for advice. I haven't ever worked with silicone tubing and wonder if I just get a section of 4 inch silicone tubing (4") would this typically collapse with that type of suction? The turbo is quite a bit larger than the original and I will probably have to have a welder come over so I can move the whole air box a few inches farther in front of the turbo. I have at most 3" I could move it or it would conflict with the diagonal cross brace that holds the radiator and cooling package up right. I don't know how large the opening is to the filter box, but it must be somewhere around 6 to 8". There is a flex tube that is connected to a shaft that has the intake routed up to the roof of the motorhome (actually a scoop).

I am not excited about the prospect of having to have something fabricated. PT wiring solutions has an intake for a k47 airbox, but mine isn't and isn't lined up either.

If any of you have any experience with this I'm all ears. Any ideas, experiences that I can learn from are welcome. Thank you ahead of time. I am enclosing some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm working with. Thanks for your input.

The intake to the new turbo appears to be 4 inchs. The opening from the air filter box also 4 inches.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,289 Posts
The old style, flat box has an oval inlet for the turbo which will not work with your application.
A k47 style is round and would work. If you hunt around the k47 boxes are out there.
What you could also do is remove the flat style box, measure the box and fabricate a wood box and seal it up, to take its place that can hold a filter and you can cut a round hole for a pvc connection to/from the turbo.

Reactions: ArchaicAeronaut

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,826 Posts
PVC will melt, don't ask me how I know.
Try to find the proper metal tube or use silicone hose.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi OK, The oval is also a 4" circumference opening (the turbo intake appears to be a 4" as well), so technically speaking it should be the same volume of air movement. Are you saying that this particular box that I have just doesn't have the air filter capacity I need?
Of course now that I've made all the modifications on this engine, I don't want to lower any standards at this point. This original air filter box has a flat filter in it, I don't know about the K47 box, but wonder if the original filter box I have has the air capacity for the new turbo, I might be able to modify it to a round opening. The turbo controller is pre set from PT Wiring and I don't expect to be racing this engine, but I certainly don't want to suffocate it either.
Okay, rereading your response, I think that is what you're saying, is that I could modify my filter box so that I can have a round opening using PVC (think ABS is tougher) for the pipe outlet.
Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PVC will melt, don't ask me how I know.
Try to find the proper metal tube or use silicone hose.
How about ABS? You say PVC melts? Uh, how do you know? JK, thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,826 Posts
I don't know about ABS.
The PVC was used for about a year till I found a nice mandrel bend 3.5" Dia stainless tube.
It was soft and deformed when I retired it.

·
Administrator
16,289 Posts
You can try to use a piece of silicone on the stock airbox oval and connect it to an abs or pvc pipe and try to get it to seal but I think you will have issues trying to get it to seal properly.
The k47 is bigger and the outlet to the turbo is round which would make connecting to the turbo easier. the k47 allows more air to flow due to its size.
The alternate scenario for your fix is that you can just make a wooden airbox that's accessible for filter changes and cut a round hole to fit the pipe into.
You can seal it up with butyl tape or other type sealers
You've got a bigger turbo and it's going to move more air.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You could go to the local home depot or lowes and look at flexable aluminum dryer vent tubing maybe.. I think it comes in different sizes, that flat panel filter is not going to flow enough air once the larger turbo is wanting more air I'm afraid.. If you can find the larger K47 box it may bolt right up then it would be easier to connect to the turbo..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could go to the local home depot or lowes and look at flexable aluminum dryer vent tubing maybe.. I think it comes in different sizes, that flat panel filter is not going to flow enough air once the larger turbo is wanting more air I'm afraid.. If you can find the larger K47 box it may bolt right up then it would be easier to connect to the turbo..
Well the K47 seems to be the consensus. If I'm going that way there are plenty of silicone ducts and bends on ebay and aluminum tubing as well. Sounds like I'll need the additional size for the new turbo. Thanks for the your reply!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And is that black tape connecting the turbo to intake going to be changed to something stronger or is that a temporary thing ?
LOL, You know that is exactly what my wife asked me yesterday! No, it came with the silicone tube and clamps, just keeping the critters out till I have my new upper plenum gasket:)

·
Administrator
16,289 Posts
Well the K47 seems to be the consensus. If I'm going that way there are plenty of silicone ducts and bends on ebay and aluminum tubing as well. Sounds like I'll need the additional size for the new turbo. Thanks for the your reply!
When you look for one, make sure it is from a Chevy Diesel.
There are k47 gasser intakes that will not work

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Since you will have to custom fit the air box anyway you may want to try the gasser air box, 5.7L or 7.4L.
It uses the same K47 air filter and there should be plenty available.
Just an option.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you look for one, make sure it is from a Chevy Diesel.
There are k47 gasser intakes that will not work
Thanks OK, just noticed that on a search, appreciate your advice, thats what I'll be doing. You have any idea what years 1997 to ?.

·
Administrator
16,289 Posts
Thanks OK, just noticed that on a search, appreciate your advice, thats what I'll be doing. You have any idea what years 1997 to ?.
IIRC, 97'-2001' model years

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I gotta say. Nice turbo choice! That thing will move some air. Wow.
I hope you tune the IP for it. Might want to do the "Feed the Beast mod to the fuel lines/fittings also. You will need to install a boost gauge and EGT if not already installed.. An Intercooler would be nice if you have the room.
IMO I would try to use the stock air box. That thing is huge. Way bigger than a K47.
Have you looked into aluminum tubing? Like the stuff Tuners use on their cars. It comes in many shapes, and bends. Should not be hard to fab up an intake for it with Aluminum.
Heres a link to Spector. They have all kinds and sizes of tubing and adapters up to 4"
Aluminum Tubes | Spectre

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I assume you are going to eliminate a lot of the exhaust tubing RV's use. I probably would have turned the turbo around and the exhaust would have just been straight out the back. Pay attention to water pump rotation on a pusher motor. A ram intake serves no purpose on a turbocharged motor and may just plug up the air filter with more dirt and can pull in lots of snow in colder locals. Cool outside air is beneficial. Metal duct your intake with exhaust pipe and use silicone hose to connect the ends. Time to locate some semi-truck junk yards. Lots of odd pipes to be found.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I gotta say. Nice turbo choice! That thing will move some air. Wow.
I hope you tune the IP for it. Might want to do the "Feed the Beast mod to the fuel lines/fittings also. You will need to install a boost gauge and EGT if not already installed.. An Intercooler would be nice if you have the room.
IMO I would try to use the stock air box. That thing is huge. Way bigger than a K47.
Have you looked into aluminum tubing? Like the stuff Tuners use on their cars. It comes in many shapes, and bends. Should not be hard to fab up an intake for it with Aluminum.
Heres a link to Spector. They have all kinds and sizes of tubing and adapters up to 4"
Aluminum Tubes | Spectre
I'm trying to use it just to help longevity of the engine. My engine is running the DB2. I hope the HX40 will help run it a little cooler pulling any hills, and yes already drilled manifold for pyrometer and have boost and fuel press gauge fittings to do just that.
Thanks for the link, think I've actually seen their product in my research.
If it doesn't run as cool as I hope pulling hills, seriously thinking about water injection.
Thanks for chimming in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I assume you are going to eliminate a lot of the exhaust tubing RV's use. I probably would have turned the turbo around and the exhaust would have just been straight out the back. Pay attention to water pump rotation on a pusher motor. A ram intake serves no purpose on a turbocharged motor and may just plug up the air filter with more dirt and can pull in lots of snow in colder locals. Cool outside air is beneficial. Metal duct your intake with exhaust pipe and use silicone hose to connect the ends. Time to locate some semi-truck junk yards. Lots of odd pipes to be found.
Hi DieselPro, might just do that sans muffler, should sound like a rocket!! LOL. Seriously there's less exhaust pipe than any pickup truck running these out there. Probably less than10feet including the muffler, 3" all the way out, but I've already talked to some shops about 4 inch exhaust. I am going to wait and see it run first.
The ram intake is about 11 feet off the ground on the roof of te RV. I imagine they do that specifically just to get cleaner air from above than all the recycled dust in the engine bay, which is just like a dust devil going down the road. The ram air tube is just a 9 inch duct that runs the scoop air into the air filter box. I'm already resigned that I'll have to do som fab with a larger airbox.
The engine is exactly the same 6.5 like right out of any 1993 pickup application. Everything is exactly the same except the fan is solid drive fan pushing instead of drawing, so the water pump is still the same drive and everything.
I really like your idea of touring around semi'truck junk yards. That would be a great place for the tubing and exhaust pipes. Actually it's a great idea. I've just been calling around used truck and auto parts dealers and pic and pull, and the such. The days of good ole junk yards seem to be disapperaring from around here.
Always appreciate hearing from you :)

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You could google "tractor air filter box", you may find something that will require little modification.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts