Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got my new 2007 2500HD Classic, 4x4 Crew Duramax.... 2 questions if anybody knows....

1) I had an alarm/remote starter installed by Best Buy and now the "check engine light" is illuminated all the time. Best Buy says it just has to be "reset" by the dealer.... is this true? What could have caused this?

2) I have the crew cab and 2 dogs. No need for the back seat at all. Would like to take it out....store it...and provide a much bigger surface area for the dogs. Is there any problem you could see with taking the back seat out?..... is it connected to any indicator that would alert if the seat is out?

Thank you..... Candy :eek::

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a heck of a time when my Viper auto start was installed on my 06. It was a twice a moth trip for 6 months between the installer and the dealer. The dealer paid for the install..so that helped in some ways. The problem is that if a wire disconnects, is not connected right, etc it will throw a code. Then, the dealer will clear it \, but if it comes back they will tell you that you have to have the remote start disconnected from the truck wiring before they will troubleshoot. My advice is that when you do go to the dealer to get the codes read, watch and/or ask what the codes are and what they mean. Write it down. You can look it up on this forum. It will also give you an idea of whether or not the auto start is to blame. It is possible that during the install they tripped a code and it will reset. However, it may also be possible that something is not hooked up right. I had codes that had to do with glow plugs, body control modules, ta\ransmission communication codes, the works. Finally, after a million trips it seems to have been fixed. A couple of times it left me semi-stranded because the passlock feature was triggered. Its a good idea to be familiar with how to start the truck after the passlock is tripped. Good luck!

Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check Engine Light

Hey Candy, just an fyi. The check engine light might not be related to the Best Buy install could be the issue with the factory recall of the EGR Valve.

Just a guess but lots of the 06' have a faulty EGR which would give out fairly early on.

Neil

·
Banned
720 Posts
depending on what they did at best buy you can go to autozone they will check it tell you what it is and clear the code for you for free

oh and you can take the back seat out with no problems i have servral builders i work for that take there back seat out for more storage for tools /plans /samples /ect

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'll bet dollars to donuts it was the install at Worst Buy.They probably used crimp connections and when they started pushing on the wires,some connection got loose or worse.I'm glat Tony at MP convinced me to solder all mine on the Astrostart.I wouldn't let those guys install a radio in a 2 seater{outhouse for you youngins}:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
mine did the same thing, the shop took $50.00 off the install to pay for getting it reset,(my brother is a service writer at the local dealership so it was free) no problems since.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'll bet dollars to donuts it was the install at Worst Buy.

You got that right....I'll never let them ( worst buy) touch any of my vehicles again after a bad experience with them in the past. Just had a factory Nav. system installed in my new 3500 by a reputable shop thru a buddy of mine......they did a professional job and worked on the truck like it was their own.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
It could be defintily something best buy did but def coudl be something else. OUr trucks are very very "sensitive" and alot of things will set it off. Any dealer should check and clear codes while you wait. Make sure the starter is even built for a diesel and hooked up for glow plugs to cycle. Ivee seen some hooked up that dont let the glow plugs cycle. from either not being compatible or hooked up right.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Just curious--what brand does Best Buy install? Did'nt even know they did that,no offense, but that place is scary to me.Lots of horror stories.I'm going to see if Tony can figure out a way for my truck to come and drive over to me.It's been cold.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts