Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a 1995 3500HD 6.5TD truck that he uses to pump septic tanks. So it hauls a fair amount of wieght. I just installed gauges, Heath chip, and turbomaster in it 6mo. ago.

I have to order a clutch Monday for it so i can get it installed by Thursday.

Which one should i go with? Napa?

Also, I am guessing its a NV4500, but the tranny looks really big....but Ive never had a 4500 so i am not familiar with them. That is the tranny they put in the HD's isnt it?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Napa it is then...Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Napa's are cheap, but the last one I put in was made in china-:t , but in all fairness, it's working alright. Since the biggest problem is the dual mass flywheel, it is hard to recommend a good clutch. I have used centerforce with good results and they don't slip.;)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I really need some input

Thanks for the reply D. I kinda gave up waiting for a answer.

Anyway, now I am in a pickle. I pulled the clutch out tonight and found it wasnt in too bad of shape. The problem seems to be in the slave cylinder. In fact, somone has micky moused it with a longer homemade rod...which tells me either the master or the slave is not right.

I also discovered the clutch and pressure plate isnt that old. Its a LUK brand.

My brother bought this truck and uses it everyday in his buisness. He has had it for only a short time, so no history was known.

This is my theory. The guy my brother bought it from replaced the clutch unaware of the slave/master problem. After they already installed it, the only other option was to mickey mouse the plunger on the master so they could sell it. Just my theory.

Anyway, this truck is gettin a new clutch regardless. And I am very disapointed with the Carquest clutch kit I got. It looks wimpy compared to the LUK I pulled out of the truck. This truck has to be right and cannot afford downtime, so I am contemplating a centerforce or something good quality. Even a GM. I just do not want to put this cheesy Carquester in it.

Sorry for the long post..I tend to ramble when I cant sleep. What do you suggest? LUK, napa, centerforce, or GM OEM?

Money is no option with my brother...he needs it done right. I am just unsure...all my stuff is 4L80E's...never had a stick, so I have no experience with them. Thanks alot.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
If you have a camera, take some pictures and I can tell you what you have. Could be that someone replaced the dual mass flywheel with a single piece and didn't use the right throw out bearing. I have added length on slave cylinder rods before in an attemp to help with disengagement, sometimes it works and sometimes you need a new slave. Luk is usually a good clutch. What were the symptoms that led to pulling the clutch? Hard shifting, grabbing right off the floor, or slippage? I need some info to help you out.:cool:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm probably wrong, but aren't the 6.5L's only available with the SMF? Especially being a 95 model that he's working on. I think you'll find the OEM Luk clutch to be pretty tough to beat.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a camera, take some pictures and I can tell you what you have. Could be that someone replaced the dual mass flywheel with a single piece and didn't use the right throw out bearing. I have added length on slave cylinder rods before in an attemp to help with disengagement, sometimes it works and sometimes you need a new slave. Luk is usually a good clutch. What were the symptoms that led to pulling the clutch? Hard shifting, grabbing right off the floor, or slippage? I need some info to help you out.:cool:
Thanks for the replys. Sorry I took so long gettin back..got called into work for an emergency.

I can take some pics no problem.

Symptoms were terrible grinding in 1st and reverse, and hard shifting as described by the driver. I shoud've drove it first, but didnt. The pedal was very stiff and hard to push in. There were several clues which led make me believe it was worked on recently. The flywheel looks new, and it is a one piece? The clutch does have a bunch of springs and the smaller ones rattle around. never seen or worked on a Dual mass, so I am not sure if thats what I am dealing with here. It is a LUk brand setup, so I will probably go back with that brand. Unless you recommend bagging the dual mass setup?? The clutch and pressure plate I took out of the truck are pretty much mint, so I think it was a bad call on my part, but its all gettin replaced anyway.However, the rear main seal was gettin wet, so at least its not totally in vain.

LUK from northern sounds good, I have purchased from them in the past. I also plan on replaceing the slave and master, just to be safe..this truck cannot afford to be down very long...unless you dont think replaceing both is necassary.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you go to the ZF-6 OEM forum, there is a thread titled DMF Problems that has pictures of a dual mass flywheel taken apart. It sounds like the truck you are working on has the conventional single mass flywheel in it. You say the clutch springs rattle? Which springs are they? Are they the damper springs on the disc or are they somewhere else? There will probably be some rattle as I think that clutch has a series damper on it(2 coil springs in each window, one inside the other). There has to be some clearance between them to make things work right and that may be the rattle you're hearing. I would see if you can return the new clutch back to Carquest. It sounds like the one in the truck is pretty fresh. Most likely the problem is in the release system. Keep us posted, Mike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have had a similar problem on my 85 6.2L with the clutch.

The latest presure plate and clutch from GM put the clutch release arm in a slightly different location than before ( it was further away from the slave ~ 1/2 inch) and I had to extend the slave cylinder rod in order to make contact with the clutch release arm. This did not work for me either. Hard to shift and it would grind a bit.

I went back to Chevy and they told me that this is the correct kit for my truck now, although the parts guy did notice that it had been changed from the orginal.

Anyway, what I did was put washers underneath the clutch release pivot ball so that the distance from the clutch release rod to the slave matched up with what was orginally there. After that it shifted fine.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you go to the ZF-6 OEM forum, there is a thread titled DMF Problems that has pictures of a dual mass flywheel taken apart. It sounds like the truck you are working on has the conventional single mass flywheel in it. You say the clutch springs rattle? Which springs are they? Are they the damper springs on the disc or are they somewhere else? There will probably be some rattle as I think that clutch has a series damper on it(2 coil springs in each window, one inside the other). There has to be some clearance between them to make things work right and that may be the rattle you're hearing. I would see if you can return the new clutch back to Carquest. It sounds like the one in the truck is pretty fresh. Most likely the problem is in the release system. Keep us posted, Mike.
Ya, I have the solid flywheel. My setup looks nothing like that.

I inspected the fork, pivot and TOB and everything looks fine. I am going to order new slave and master from GM..hopefully, that will take care of it. other than that, i'm not sure what else to do.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
The previous owner has changed over from a dual mass to a one piece flywheel......good. The hard part is matching parts to make sure everything else is the same. Does this truck have an integral slave(attached to the input collar on tranny) or an external slave. If it has an external slave, you might need to try a different length throw out bearing, there are several different versions available for chevy's. When ordering your new clutch, be careful, if you order it by the year, you will get the wrong one. Probably best to order it for a 1989 6.2, but the throwout bearing will still be questionable. In 97 or 98 gm went back to a one piece flywheel on the 6.5, but it used the internal slave/throw out bearing combo. So in closing, you might have to adapt a little. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The previous owner has changed over from a dual mass to a one piece flywheel......good. The hard part is matching parts to make sure everything else is the same. Does this truck have an integral slave(attached to the input collar on tranny) or an external slave. If it has an external slave, you might need to try a different length throw out bearing, there are several different versions available for chevy's. When ordering your new clutch, be careful, if you order it by the year, you will get the wrong one. Probably best to order it for a 1989 6.2, but the throwout bearing will still be questionable. In 97 or 98 gm went back to a one piece flywheel on the 6.5, but it used the internal slave/throw out bearing combo. So in closing, you might have to adapt a little. Good luck.
I ended up ordering from Napa. They are the only ones that could get it to me in time.

I did feel better talking to them. They offer the "update" kit complete with a new flywheel. I just oredered the kit without the flywheel. I hope it works.

The slave I ordered from GM.

If the slave rod was modified on the truck..in my case about an inch longer, what would I do to compensate? Do I need a throw out bearing thats thicker?

What a nightmare this has turned out to be. And of course it has to be on a truck that has a life or death deadline. Thanks for all the help. I hope I get this figured out. I'll keep ya'll posted.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
The napa kit didn't come with the throw out bearing? Find a good parts guy that knows chevies, there are several different throw out bearings of different lengths, I think the longest one should solve your problem. Thank goodness gm used the same parts and dimensions for years. What most people don't know is that the latest edition of the solid flywheel for the 6.5 is the same part number as the earliest flywheel for the 6.2:eek:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it put together last night.

You were right about the throwout bearing...that was difference. I used new one that I had in the shop. I believe it was for mid 80's gasser tranny. It was about 1/16th bigger than the one that came with the clutch kit.
I was even able to remove the extended rod from the slave that someone made previously and that made me feel a lot better.

All in all its back on the road and seems to be perfect.

Thanks for the help D. I wouldnt have even looked at the TOB problem if you hadnt mentioned it.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together! Nuff said.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts