Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its pegged at past a 120 mph! is this something I can fix or take to the dealer,its just out of warranty by 20 miles. All other guages work fine

·
Registered
412 Posts
Its pegged at past a 120 mph! is this something I can fix or take to the dealer,its just out of warranty by 20 miles. All other guages work fine
Slow down quickly and let your turbo cool before shutting down! (just kidding, sorry! :D ) Sounds like maybe a connector pin on the main ECM harness?...Anyone?...Anyone...? :)

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Sadly, it's a common defect. Go to your dealer now. He might fix it anyways.

There was a bad batch of stepper motors that drive the speedo needle.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
at 20 miles out, take it to the dealer that sold you the truck. If you're in good standing with them, I would bet they'll take care of you..:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I have bought a few other vechiles with them in the past months so I hope they'll fix it

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had my 04.5 go bad and also my 05 go bad listen to mcrat hes right

·
Registered
294 Posts
20 out they will most likly cover it. it's a knwn issue. If not .. contact Chev, customer care and complain, but I expect you will "NOT" have a problem with the dealer..

(edit:forgot the NOT)

·
Registered
116 Posts
speedo

Mine did the same thing, except that it corrected itself after about a week. Never was the same. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire guage cluster. According to the service provider, this was very common and at one point, they could not keep up with the number of speedos that went bad.

Downside to this is that it can take up to a week for the switch out. Seems that they have to take the cluster out, send to Seattle as a core and wait for the new one to come back.

My new one works great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dealer wouldn't cover it, but I did call customer care, and they are taking care of it. They had never seen anything like this, should be fixed next week. Thanks to everyone for your help

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Personally--Iwould'nt go back to that dealer for NOTHING!! Dealers like that are morons--most dealers love warranty work--there's plenty of it and they make tons of money from GM's mistakes--20 miles is nothing--they could have either back-pedalled the mileage or gave you good-will status--either way they would have been paid.I just had my cluster replaced app.6K over warranty.Took 6 days to order{I still had the truck}--30 minutes for the install---check your steering wheel controls to the DIC before you leave the lot--they forgot to program mine at first. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, I don't plan on buying anything else through them

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ya, the dealer COULD have good willed it, and they would have been paid by GM. But it sounds like their greedy, they could bill him more than they could recover from GM for warenty work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had my cluster replaced. I am out of warranty so I contacted Chevy customer service and they are going to pay for it. Pretty funny Chevy Customer service said they have never heard of it. I laughed and said ya right. I must admit they where very helpful in getting this problem fixed

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why can't I have your kinda luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just had my cluster replaced. I am out of warranty so I contacted Chevy customer service and they are going to pay for it. Pretty funny Chevy Customer service said they have never heard of it. I laughed and said ya right. I must admit they where very helpful in getting this problem fixed
:rant: Coming!

Thread after thread I am hearing that GM states that this is an issue they have not heard about and yet they are very common day to day issues that all of us on this site are well aware of. I understand they are told to lie and never admit there are problems.

Hey GM, get your head out of you’re [email protected]@ and listen to your customers!

Sorry for the rant, but I am tired of GM and will probably never buy another vehicle from them again. This site is suppose to be a happy place where we talk about how much we love our diesel trucks. Wouldn’t you think GM has someone monitoring sites like this in order to stay in touch with their customers? I would have a ton of respect for GM if they would fix the LLY overheating issue.

As for the Speedometer issue, they know there are problems with these and should repair it no matter if the vehicle is under warranty or not. And let me add that my speedometer just did the same thing a week ago and I will be taking it in.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Moving to Electrical...

--Ben

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for moving it I didn't think about where I was posting

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Mine did that same thing when I was driving to work one cold morning last winter. Speedo whiped around and broke the needle off. Got a speeding ticket two days later and had the truck fixed the next week. Didn't get off the speeding ticket though, 72/55. Officer I swear I didn't know I was speeding!

·
Registered
161 Posts
help my speedo

I have a 04 monte carlo and it did the same thing the dealer my wife called said it is a common problem and the computer needed to be flashed to reset the speedo.never took it in seems to work fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts