Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently sitting at 345k miles. Three days ago, the engine was suddenly gutless and smoking like a freight train... nearly no boost, and EGT's were very high. I checked my vane position to make sure it was still moving (quick PID change on my Edge Racing CTS) and it was, I just had almost no boost. I could put my foot into it, fog the skies, and I was able to see the boost come up, but so did my EGT's. I could only hear a faint bit of turbo whistle, which is odd for my truck. It sounded like it was working harder than it should have to - I'm guessing because there was no boost.

I picked up a can of MAF cleaner and pulled and cleaned the MAF. It didn't look bad at all. I also replaced the air filter (it was dirty, but not incredibly so). I use AC Delco air filters, so no oil fouling or anything on the MAF. I reassembled it after the MAF dried thoroughly, and drove into town. No difference. I shut the truck off and ran an errand, then came back out and started the truck. Instantly I could tell the truck was running like a top again - turbo whistle was back, boost was back, and the truck was not smoking and it was definitely not gutless... lots of power.

Guessing I had dodged a bullet with the MAF sensor - and given it is original from back in mid-2004 plus all the miles - I figured I'd replace the MAF sensor. Did that just a bit ago - quick, easy operation. Hopped into the truck for a spin around the neighborhood... it's gutless again, not building boost, smoking like crazy. BTW, no check engine lights.

Decided to check on engine codes - I have two. P1093 and P0674. I'm familiar with P1093 - fuel rail pressure dropped below 22k - since I don't have a lift pump, I see this on occasion if I've been hot dogging around. But P0674 is new - bad glow plug. Yikes. But wait... can this cause my loss of boost and the gutless behavior I'm experiencing? I guess I'm asking if I'm staring at two problems (really, just one 'cause right now I'm going to ignore the P1093), or do I have three (or more)? Need some advice on what to do next... besides trying to get the parts place to take back this apparent unnecessary MAF sensor. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
02 2500HD LB7
127 Posts
The glow plugs are just a cold starting aid, they shut off completely shortly after starting the engine. So you can ignore that code for the time being.
Reset the codes and see if the P1093 returns right away in normal driving.

FYI, There is usually no return on electrical parts at parts stores.

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
I would inspect the engine harness and around the fuse panel for any rodent damage, worn through wire insulation, corrosion, etc

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
54 Posts
Did this suddenly go away or is it still there? I had a intake tube connection fail and it responded exactly the same

·
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suddenly a problem, then suddenly not a problem, and now suddenly a problem again.

Given this erratic issue, my thoughts are I can eliminate:

- MAF sensor
- boost leak pre- or post-intercooler
- turbo

I haven't been out to dig around on the wiring. Last year, squirrels tried to build a nest in my engine valley. They chewed my wiring harness but good. Insurance paid to get it fixed, and I've had zero problems since then. A quick look at the wiring and nothing looks changed. I'll have to dedicate some time to look closely at everything under the hood.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Last year, squirrels tried to build a nest in my engine valley. They chewed my wiring harness but good. Insurance paid to get it fixed, and I've had zero problems since then.
So did it get new harness or did it get spliced & patched?

·
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, it was spliced and patched... by a dealer. On the insurance company's dime. Go figure.

The puzzle has gotten more interesting. Yesterday afternoon, I drove to town... and the truck was gutless and smoking with no boost. Drive was about 7 miles. Went in and bought a shop light. When I came back out, truck started and - once again - it was running like a champ. This is twice I've driven a short distance with gutless performance, I shut the truck off, go do a small errand, and start it back up and it's super truck again. Any ideas what could be possibly warming up and changing this behavior?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can you reach the turbo vanes and spin to see if you have a bad shaft bushing? Could be temp related oil flow to the shaft bushings. This is a wild a** guess of course.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Unfortunately, it was spliced and patched... by a dealer. On the insurance company's dime. Go figure.

The puzzle has gotten more interesting. Yesterday afternoon, I drove to town... and the truck was gutless and smoking with no boost. Drive was about 7 miles. Went in and bought a shop light. When I came back out, truck started and - once again - it was running like a champ. This is twice I've driven a short distance with gutless performance, I shut the truck off, go do a small errand, and start it back up and it's super truck again. Any ideas what could be possibly warming up and changing this behavior?

So Codes? Check Engine Light when this happens?

Thought, next time it acts up, leave running, see if doing the "Old Ford Wiggle Test" makes a change,
take the harness & wiggle wires, see if there are any changes.
With the splices that were done it is possible that heat & corrosion are creating resistance in one of the splices as it warms up!

·
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Codes? Check Engine Light when this happens?

Thought, next time it acts up, leave running, see if doing the "Old Ford Wiggle Test" makes a change,
take the harness & wiggle wires, see if there are any changes.
With the splices that were done it is possible that heat & corrosion are creating resistance in one of the splices as it warms up!
I know this is an old, old thread... but I finally have a solution. It turns out my truck had a turbo sensor wire with a poor connection. I recently replaced my Edge tuner with EFI Live. During this change, I had to replace my pyro sensor as I replaced my Edge Evolution Racing CTS with an Edge Insight CTS3. Suddenly I have zero issues with my turbo. Danville Performance was diagnosing my turbo, as another shop in Lexington had recommended my turbo be replaced. Thanks to Danville and Larry/Mark and the gang, my truck is running 100% trouble free. Since this original post, I've had the CP3 replaced, added a FASS lift pump, replaced glow plugs, steering box, hydroboost, and a few other maintenance items. The truck is running like a fire breathing dragon. Larry told me the balance rates are great and there's nothing wrong with the injectors. A well-meaning do-gooder had plugged my EGR back in, which was causing my truck to smoke like the turbo was shot... it wasn't.

This has only further reinforced the criticality of getting your truck to a reputable shop that knows what they're doing. As for local shops, I'm back to square zero, and Danville Performance is back at the top of my list, despite them being 200 miles from my home. No telling how much $$ I would have saved over the years had I just taken my truck to them consistently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts