Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Canada this last weekend and the temp dropped to -40 to 45f. The truck started great and ran for about 30 minutes
and then started loosing power then died
. It had to be towed about 50 miles to the S.St Marie where it could be put inside a heated building for the night. It ran great the next morning.

I use the winter additive from AV Lube every fillup. How do I prevent this from happening again? I will be in the U.P. at the end of this month and I don't want to deal with this crap again.

Thank you in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
make sure you fill up in the "UP" or northern lower michigan. They actually use #1 diesel mixed with #2 diesel up there where most stations in mid and southern lower michigan just use antigel addatives that don't lower the gel point enough when it's too cold.Edited by: mtomac

·
Registered
939 Posts
40-45 degrees below zero?? I wouldn't even think about going outside...how can you guys handle that... it was 10 below here in Colorado where I live and I thought that was a bit nipply!! Couldn't imagion what a slap in the face 40-45 below would be. WOW!! Ok, I'm done now...

Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
gottago said:
How do I prevent this from happening again?

Thank you in advance.

Bob

Move to Miami...

You're welcome...

Chris in NC

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Call up AV Lube and see what they say, that really should not have happened all no matter were you filled up.

Maybe it was the CAT filter on the Nicktane setup.

Gelling does suck....there are those who have and those who will. Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was going to comment that the heater in the filter head should have saved you and then noticed you had a non heated filter. Your probably in the less than 1% of people that should not have a non heated filter head IMHO.

Failing that I believe that you can cut your fuel with some kerosene if you can't get real blended fuel. I believe that #1 diesel is essentially kerosene. I'll defer to the experts on that though. I used to cut #2 Diesel with gasoline when it got cold on Me for My VW Rabbit long years ago (it was in the manual), but I wouldn't do that except in a real emergency on a modern high pressure system (lack of lubrication).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If I remember correctly kerosene is slightly more refined than #1. Always used it in my 6.2.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was told that if you can not find blended fuel you can just put vegitable oil and it will help. Does this work?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
You guys are crazy. Do not use oil or kerosene. Both will void your warranty and ruin your catalytic converter if you have one. Using number 1-D is the best solution on the table. There are additives that will make your number 2-D into number 1-D. I am sure there are a whole slew of makers but PSP makes an additive for sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gottago,

You won't have a problem in the U.P. We have diesel that can handle it. I used to only get it from Amaco (BP) stations because they're the only ones that have a "weather blended" sign out front.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the answers,

We were up snowmobiling, I did top off the tank at the Shell station in Mackinaw City, I wonder if I got some bad fuel?

By the way at -40f running 60mph on the sled the wind chill was -120.1 and yes we could feel the "cold". We came back to the Gaylord area the next day.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts