Diesel Place banner

Help My 6.0 Get Better Mpg

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  bwloans 
#1 ·
Can Anyone Tell Me How Much A Custom Tuner From Wester's Helped Thier Gas Milage. I CURRENTLY HAVE A STOCK 02 CHEV 6.0 WITH 285'S AND 410'S IN THE REAR . I'M GETTING 11MPG CITY AND 12MPG HWY. ALSO WOULD A COLD AIR KIT HELP MUCH? WOULD NEW GEARS HELP?

#2 ·
A friend at work has a 2003 6.0 EC/SB; he runs a Superchips tuner on it and says if he drives carefully, gets about 2-3 mpg better than stock... switching to 3.73's would also help I would think

--Ben

#4 ·
I had a 99 2500 with a 6.0. It got 11mpg on the highway. Stock tires, no lift, 3.73 gears. I put on a dual exhaust, catback, a K and N FIPK air intake. It then got 13mpg on the highway. I think I hit 14mpg one time. It just really liked fuel.
Norm

#7 ·
I CURRENTLY HAVE A STOCK 02 CHEV 6.0 WITH 285'S AND 410'S IN THE REAR..... WOULD NEW GEARS HELP?
I think your fuel mileage will be worse if you switch to 3.73s, especially with those 285s. I would change tires if you want better fuel mileage, like say to a 235/85/16....tall and skinny is the way to go for fuel mileage, and they are lighter than the 285s. The tune will help as long as you can keep your foot out of it. A cold air intake and a less restrictive exhaust may help, but it won't be a Prius. Even if you did all of this we're only talkin' maybe an increase of 2 to 2.5 mpg. after that it's all in how you drive. My $.02 worth.
JP

#9 ·
If your interested Id be willing to swap for the 4.10"s mine is a 2500hd 4X4 crew 01 with the 8.1

#10 ·
I had a 03 EC SB 6.0 2WD

DIC numbers showed avg. of 14.9 MPG during the 25 months & 52K I owned it.

I could get 18mpg on level ground @ a steady 50MPH, but who in the hell drives like that.

About 12mpg @ 80MPH

10 with a headwind, it is a big brick afterall.

Huge drop in MPG when I went to 285s

#12 ·
If you're not hung up on the skinnier look of the tire, the 235/85/16 is a good choice, and it works well in practically every situation, i.e. towing, hauling, mud/snow, etc. Probably won't corner like the 285's, but if you want a roadracer I suggest a Z06....:D
JP

#13 ·
Don't give up the 4.10's; you'll regret it. 235's?? Wow. Those are small & will look silly; especially after the 285's. Maybe try 265. Actually, your mileage now isn't too bad considering. Driving habits impact tremendously. Pretend there is an egg under the pedal! :)

#14 ·
Don't give up the 4.10's; you'll regret it. 235's?? Wow. Those are small & will look silly; especially after the 285's. Maybe try 265. Actually, your mileage now isn't too bad considering. Driving habits impact tremendously. Pretend there is an egg under the pedal! :)
Pushaw! :rolleyes: I think the 235s would look ok, especially if it had a good looking tread design. Anyways, we are after MPGs, not show car awards. But I agree with hanging on to the 4.10s. The 265s are better than the 285s for fuel mileage.
JP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.