Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change the oil today... Went to Wally world like I usually do and picked up 2 jugs of T&SUV like I usually do, get home drain the oil, change filter, dump oil in and as the second jug is draining into the engine I see 5W-30 on the jug!!!! :eek: :wtf1: Censored :help2:

When did they change it to 5W-30?? I don't see the CI-4 or CH-4 rating on it like the last jugs, but it still claims it's for turbocharged diesels. I haven't started the truck yet, will it be ok, or should I look for the "right stuff"? Do I have any recourse with Wal-Mart or Mobil? :help2:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I could not find Moble 1 Truck and SUV oil at Wally World here in Houston... I went to three different stores and it was not on the shelves.... Last oil change I had switched to the Moble 1 and there was plenty on the shelves so I know this is a recent change...

I ended up going with Shell Rottila (SP)..

·
Registered
641 Posts
They switched this a few months back... I wouldn't run the truck with it in there.. There is a new Mobil 1 diesel coming out soon. I think its the end of April or May time frame.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
:exactly: what Snowbandit said...and drain it again :mad: to get proper stuff put in would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, like swatkins said, I went to several other stores, and the 5W-40 is NOWHERE to be found... So I got Shell Rotella T 5W-40 Syn. My grandfather says that switching brands is bad news, but you have to take a lot of what he says with a few grains of salt... The truck has had Mobil since day one (delvac 1300 up to about 10k, then Delvac 1/T&SUV since). This shouldn't pose a problem, right?

I'll probably end up using the 5W-30 in my car since it's only lightly tainted and almost the same as the 10W-30 Mobil 1 I use in it. Well... out to drain the 5W-30 out of the truck... It would've been nice if they had changed the label a bit more to make it more noticable that it's not the same stuff...:rant: Censored

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You can change brands, it's not a problem.
Some old myths about parrafin based oils (supposedly Pennzoil and Quaker State) and turning the engine to sludge when mixed with other oils, but it's not a big deal anymore (or maybe never was).

Rotella 5w40 synthetic (actually a group-III mineral/synthetic) and Rotella 15w40 (dino) are great oils. Mobil-1 Delvac 1300 is a dino 15w40 and is comparable to Rotella 15w40... Mobil Delvac-1 is synthetic and is basically the same as the OLD Truck and SUV.

T&SUV was reformulated to the 5w30 for gassers only. The new product for us is "Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Formula" which is not scheduled for release until mid-April. You can probably still find Delvac-1 at truck stops.

This whole fiasco is what drove me away from Mobil... I've got a 2.5 gallon bottle of Amsoil 15w40 synth sitting on the floor next to my desk that is going to be in the engine in a couple of hours.
If your truck is your only available vehicle, you'll probably be okay to drive it back to WM to get the right oil, but I wouldn't leave it in there for more than a few miles. The main issue with Diesel-rated oils is their ability to suspend soot.

If it were me, Cougar, I'd be writing a letter to Mobil demanding a refund FROM THEM (not WalMart). They have used the same name on two different and incompatible products. The bottles look the same, and some WalMarts in my area still have the OLD formula on the shelf.
I suspect that this is going to be a common mistake over the next few months, and it was a big mistake of Mobil not to make an obvious packaging change and name change.

Their whole reformulation over the last year has been poorly marketed.... their marketing has been focused on the "Clean 5000" and "Clean 7500" oils, which is Mobil's attempt to recapture the non-synthetic market from Castrol and Valvoline. There has been virtually no public information dissemination on the changes in their synthetic lines.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it were me, Cougar, I'd be writing a letter to Mobil demanding a refund FROM THEM (not WalMart). They have used the same name on two different and incompatible products. The bottles look the same, and some WalMarts in my area still have the OLD formula on the shelf.
Oh, I'll be calling them on Monday at the very least... Fortunatley, I also have my Cougar, so the truck was never started with the 5W-30. It just sat in the crankcase until I drained it back into the bottles it came in (gotta love the fumoto valve!) It was surprisingly black considering it was never run, but I suspect it will be ok to use in my car unless Mobil decides they want it back or something...

They DEFINATLEY should have changed the label. If it hadn't been almost identical, I would have paused and looked closer. Censored .

Rotella 5w40 synthetic (actually a group-III mineral/synthetic) and Rotella 15w40 (dino) are great oils. Mobil-1 Delvac 1300 is a dino 15w40 and is comparable to Rotella 15w40... Mobil Delvac-1 is synthetic and is basically the same as the OLD Truck and SUV.
So the Rotella 5W40 isn't a full synthetic? If not, then it's really being mis-advertised. Should be labeled as a Semi-synthetic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
mobil one

Oh, I'll be calling them on Monday at the very least... Fortunatley, I also have my Cougar, so the truck was never started with the 5W-30. It just sat in the crankcase until I drained it back into the bottles it came in (gotta love the fumoto valve!) It was surprisingly black considering it was never run, but I suspect it will be ok to use in my car unless Mobil decides they want it back or something...

They DEFINATLEY should have changed the label. If it hadn't been almost identical, I would have paused and looked closer. Censored .

So the Rotella 5W40 isn't a full synthetic? If not, then it's really being mis-advertised. Should be labeled as a Semi-synthetic.
I understand mobil one was hurt because of the damge

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
This is the result of the Castrol lawsuit about 10 years ago.
Mobil marketed true Group-IV synthetics, and Castrol started marketing a Group-III as a synthetic. Mobil sued, Castrol won, and Shell and Valvoline jumped into the market with their group-III's.

Rotella (as well as other group-III oils) ARE synthetic, but they are using a mineral oil base, rather than pure PAO base stocks. This is also why they are cheaper.

FWIW, Amsoil buys their base stocks from Mobil and blends in their own additive packages... I trust it, and a big plus is they make a 15w40 synth that's a bit cheaper than M1 5w40.

·
Registered
295 Posts
why go to walmart?

·
Registered
490 Posts
How bad would it be to run that 5W-30? I replaced oil yesterday and drove around with it, (50 mile trip), and there is no diesel formula in sight..

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
How bad would it be to run that 5W-30? I replaced oil yesterday and drove around with it, (50 mile trip), and there is no diesel formula in sight..
It'll lubricate all right, but it no longer has API CI rating for diesel. It will not provide protection and management for soot like any gasser oil not CI rated for diesel. Abrasive soot being the most damaging aspect of diesel lubrication, I think you're missing the most important additives.:eek:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for that info. I guess it'll be ok driving it for a day or two till I get the right stuff put in and weather permits.

·
Registered
361 Posts
ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH I just changed the friggen oil today and I never noticed the bottles were marked Truck n SUV 5w30. Censored I may never buy a Mobil 1 product again. This just cost me $50 because they changed the product and not the label. :rant:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Like I said above... I'd be sending a letter (with copies of receipts) to Mobil demanding a refund.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just pulled a bottle from the garage. No doubt it says for gasoline engines in the same friggen bottle as the old Truck n SUV. Idiots. I guess I'll shoot M1 a email. :mad:
At the bottom of the label in small print it says ;

Approved for use and exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline, turbocharged and diesel engines in the following applications:
ACEA A1/B1
GM 6094M
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
MS-6395

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
At the bottom of the label in small print it says ;

Approved for use and exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline, turbocharged and diesel engines in the following applications:
ACEA A1/B1
GM 6094M
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
MS-6395
Hmm.... what's it's API rating? If it's a CH-4 or CI-4, you'll be okay, but 5w30 is light (like Fargo N.D. light)... get it out of there before temps start to warm up.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts