Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be, kind I tried to figure this out with searches but just ended up with my head spinning and conflicting info lol! Heading on a trip in a couple weeks and want to get this figured out!

My truck has a really noticeable fuel knock mostly between 1800-2000 rpm. It quiets down a bit and sometimes completely goes away when the truck is good and warm (but getting worse/lasting longer).

I鈥檓 suspecting my #5 injector - my only one that鈥檚 close to out of spec at +/- 5ish (drops back into spec when warm after a couple hours of driving). The rest are balancing +/- 2 or better. Not throwing any codes. This was as of 2 weeks ago - my cts insight was stolen out of the truck 馃槨 so can鈥檛 check again right now. No smoking at all and runs perfect otherwise.

should I just replace #5 and hope for the best? Is there any chance the ice pick truck would apply here? My understanding is that鈥檚 more of a side of the road fix but don鈥檛 want to start throwing multi-hundred dollar parts at the truck if it鈥檚 something simpler.

Also - what鈥檚 a good scanner to replace my cts insight with? I鈥檇 rather not have something on the dash to get stolen/attract attention. Planning to stay bone stock for tune etc, so not much reason for the gauges anyways. I鈥檇 like to be able to selectively shut down injectors if that鈥檚 a thing and obviously check/reset codes.

Administrator
Be, kind I tried to figure this out with searches but just ended up with my head spinning and conflicting info lol! Heading on a trip in a couple weeks and want to get this figured out!

My truck has a really noticeable fuel knock mostly between 1800-2000 rpm. It quiets down a bit and sometimes completely goes away when the truck is good and warm (but getting worse/lasting longer).

I鈥檓 suspecting my #5 injector - my only one that鈥檚 close to out of spec at +/- 5ish (drops back into spec when warm after a couple hours of driving). The rest are balancing +/- 2 or better. Not throwing any codes. This was as of 2 weeks ago - my cts insight was stolen out of the truck 馃槨 so can鈥檛 check again right now. No smoking at all and runs perfect otherwise.

should I just replace #5 and hope for the best? Is there any chance the ice pick truck would apply here? My understanding is that鈥檚 more of a side of the road fix but don鈥檛 want to start throwing multi-hundred dollar parts at the truck if it鈥檚 something simpler.

Also - what鈥檚 a good scanner to replace my cts insight with? I鈥檇 rather not have something on the dash to get stolen/attract attention. Planning to stay bone stock for tune etc, so not much reason for the gauges anyways. I鈥檇 like to be able to selectively shut down injectors if that鈥檚 a thing and obviously check/reset codes.
Welcome to DieselPlace

You can try the icepick trick and see if things improve but If your #5 is hovering around 5ish.. I would replace it.
As far as a scanner goes I would try to find a Tech II. There are some China clones you can buy online that do the job.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I somehow only just found out about the Tech 2 scanner today. i don鈥檛 really mind buying a clone, but hard to find one from a reputable appearing retailer...

I鈥檒l probably just throw in a new #5. So harness/electrical problems wouldn鈥檛 effect the balance rates?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts