Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this in the Juice Forum and didn't get any response so I am going to try this. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

I am just curious about the juice and all the other advancements in power and performance. I haven't had any exposure to any of this since I don't have a new d/a yet, (plan to next spring) but I have read practically every fourm and vender site list imagineable. The question I have is this...

While I understand that everyone wants more power and performance, I am just curious as to wether or not the rest of the pickup will tolorate the add in hp and torque over the long haul. Some of the fourm's suggest that even moddest increases in HP and torque will do major harm to the tranny and rear end which indicates to me that all of the secondary equipment is designed to withstand factory HP/Torque settings and nothing more. Am I reading this right? What about the engine life. Will it be shortened as a result? Do you have to spend another pile of $ to beef up the tranny, driveshafts, rear end, trans case, etc. in order to make it last. When I bought my last truck I bought it with the idea that it should last 10 years or 200,000 miles before I buy a new one. It will be 10 next may and it has 160,000 miles on it. It has done its job based on my demands. Is this too much to hope for with the performance mods? I also assume that the factory warranty is nonexistent after you do all of these modifications. Am I wrong?

I am just curious because I also want as much power as I can get. I would just like a pretty good idea of what is going to happen as a result of the xtra power and the approximate $$......Thanks, Brian

Edited by: fozsey

·
Registered
704 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I think the differentials, driveshafts, and u-joints are more than capable of handling the extra power and still maintain 100-200K+ service life. Your issues will be with the transmission and front tie-rods (if launching if 4wd). As long as you do not mess with the waste gate, even with some serious added power, the diesel should also make it for the long haul, unless you are exceeding your EGTs, or running 500+ RWHP.

Again, Just my opinion.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The going phrase is..

You Play, You Pay.
How much you pay depends on how hard you play.

I've been playing for over 50,000 miles and no sign of any problems except the dam trees. Lost two doors and a front end to trees over the last two years.

If you get a Hot Juice and hammer it all the time, keep a slush fund.

If you mildly mod it and just enjoy the added acceleration, you should be fine but if you're into racing and holeshots, even a stock truck will lose it's durability factor.

If you're looking for hard numbers on mod -vs- miles before breakdown, there is no forum that will have that answer. It's not possible to come up with those figures given the uncontrolled nature of the data.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hoot said:
The going phrase is..

You Play, You Pay.
How much you pay depends on how hard you play.

I've been playing for over 50,000 miles and no sign of any problems except the dam trees. Lost two doors and a front end to trees over the last two years.

If you get a Hot Juice and hammer it all the time, keep a slush fund.

If you mildly mod it and just enjoy the added acceleration, you should be fine but if you're into racing and holeshots, even a stock truck will lose it's durability factor.

If you're looking for hard numbers on mod -vs- miles before breakdown, there is no forum that will have that answer. It's not possible to come up with those figures given the uncontrolled nature of the data.

Hoot,

What happens when you trade up or sell? Are you trading a used up POS or do you think the rest of the truck is going to withstand the extra abuse? I am not talking about going out and beating the sh!t out of it every week as the answer to that question is obv. What I am talking about is using it working and pushing it all the time. Do you think it as a whole will be as valuable as say the same PU without any mods? Also is the warranty void because you did all of that? BTW thanks guys for your opinions. Edited by: fozsey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts