Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a ECM upgrade I am leaning towards a Heath unit but I have also been looking at the SS Diesel unit I would like to get some opinions on which unit seems to work the best and is the most reliable. I have a 97 Chevy 3500 extended cab dually. Add on's are: Remote pmd cooler #9 resistor, cold air intake , big down pipe and crossover , 4" straight exhaust, marine injectors, hot glow plugs, turbo master boost controler, Boost, EGT, and Trans temp Gauges. We pull a 20 foot enclosed race trailer fully loaded all over the midwest. But I am leaning toward the performance upgrade and I know I will have to keep an eye on the gauges so it will not overheat.
Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have read good things about heaths new program, and i am trying out his new chip in my 95 now. I have been running his v 2.0 for a couple of years & really liked it, but I am having trouble getting used to this new tune. As far as i know, the chip & the reflash are the same program, just a different method for achieving the results. I do know I would be uncomfortable running anybodys upgrade without the intercooler, towing it makes a world of difference, & as far as i can remember it was the cheapest upgrade of everything I have done to this truck. I guess the high idle was cheaper but you get the point. One other thing I would like to bring up is the fact that with this new program, the truck seems to be running about a pound less boost and about 50 deg f less egt on the same route as the v 2.0. this means to me better fuel mileage, but it will be awhile before I have any hard numbers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
i can only comment on heaths newest performance tune and would highly recommend it. the truck is much quicker, shifting is much quicker but i may have a tranny problem to sort out yet. sometimes i get a quicker than stock shift and other times after driving 20 miles it'll really shift much more quicker and harder up through the gears. wondering if a pressure control valve solenoid is not sticking. Ed

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thats the part im trying to get used to, the shifting. On the v 2.0 it shifted beautiful and the shift points worked for me also. The new performance tune has softened up the shifts considerably. Not sure if this was Bills intention or if more work is needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mentioned an innercooler but I am having a hard time finding one for the 6.5 the one I found seemed very exspensive.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Search previous threads, it is out there. You can put one together for less than 400.00 bucks.

·
Registered
642 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Thats the part im trying to get used to, the shifting. On the v 2.0 it shifted beautiful and the shift points worked for me also. The new performance tune has softened up the shifts considerably. Not sure if this was Bills intention or if more work is needed.
What do you mean by "softened up"? The main thing I'm complaining about my v2.0 is this "shock" in transmission when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.
So, more soft isn't a good thing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently installed the Heath HP4 ECM upgrade along with there turbomaster. I'm very pleased with the results. I think was expecting a little more, but I am driving a 1 ton 4x4, not a 300 hp car.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have the HP4 upgrade as well and I love it! It seems tough on tires though.. oh wait, that MIGHT me my fault....

Bill said something about hanging with a golden rope... :D

·
Registered
537 Posts
From what I remember in transmission class in junior college (years ago), a smooth shift caused the clutch packs to heat/wear out. Also the firmer or harder the shift was, the less wear on the packs there is, BUT too hard a shift and your U-joints will wear faster. Then again, U-joints are easier to change than your tranny, unless you're in the middle of nowhere and you don't have a spare...

·
Registered
587 Posts
No votes for Kennedy? I vote Kennedy, I have one and it's awesome. He'll even customize it for you.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don't have a Kennedy but the people who do seem to be very satisfied with his tunes as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts