Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I started the truck this morning, about 18 degrees out, ran fine until I got some diesel and 5 min later a check engine light came on and the truck wouldnt shift and would run to 25 mph at WOT. NOTHING The check engine light is still on. what could this be???? thanks

·
Vendor
3,579 Posts
did you shut it down for about 30 seconds than restart it? what it do? how many miles on fuel filter?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Probably gelled up, it will throw a check engine light for low fuel pressure. That would be my guess since it did it after you filled up. Changed your fuel filter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
did you have the block heater plugged in

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Most like gelled fuel, if you did not have the block heater plugged in and no additive in the fuel that could be the culprit..

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree but I had my truck plugged in over night and she put out four diffrent codes and she did no more than thrity miles an hour after codes cleared she ran fine, this is also with a programmer, I have seen in here and talked to two diffrent GM dealers who siad on LBZ do not plug them in unless you have 0 or below temps. Not sure why

·
Registered
372 Posts
Was one of the codes for low fuel rail pressure? If so that indicates a clogged fuel filter which has been very common here recently.

Tim

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
You need to get the codes pulled. If its one and its p0087, then change the fuel filter and clear the code...fixed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it was idling fine the whole time it was like this, it was running for over 30 minutes before it did that with no issues, after we put some diesel in it it the truck did not want to shift and the check engine light came on. Then it was idling for about another 15 minutes and tried it again. This time the truck would take off past 25 mph without any issues. However the CEL was still on, the truck has about 5k miles on the fuel filter and I dont have a scanner either to check the codes and I didnt plug in the block heater either.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would I have to change the fuel filter?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If the problem is still there I would change the filter , If not leave it .

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wwwwooooo good news!!! this morning I started the truck, let it idle for about 15min and drove it a little, it took off without a problem, when I got back I turned it off and cranked it back up and no more CEL!

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Probably low rail pressure code. MY truck does it every time its cold, no matter what fuel and additive. Very frustrationg. PS if it ever does happen to you again, shut the truck off wait 30 seconds and restart it, it will at least get it out of limp mode and let you fly again, check engine light will probably be on. but you can go.. Also, mine does it when your going fast, or up hill so driver ginerly if you know your gonning to need fuel (ie hill or speed do it w/ease on the pedal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts