Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need a catalytic converter. My inspection expired on Feb 28. I need one like ASAP. I went to 3 different shops and called 2 others, none of which will even put it on a lift without a cat in place. They wont smog it but wont pass it if its not there.....Anyone got one, gutted, a shell or otherwise, that I could have/purchase?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I have one but I am way to far away. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one. If you didn't tell them it had a cat they probably wouldn't know it was supposed to have one. If you truck was an 04 LB7 it would not have had one.

What about trying a new shop and tell them it never had one?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
In Idaho my 04.5LLY isn't required to have a cat. We have smog inspections and my truck passes everytime.

It came with a cat, but the book they use says no cat needed on 04 models. I guess because of the 04 LB7's. Might want to check it out. I would think they use a fed. book, but could be wrong.

Good luck

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to tell them everything from the exhaust is a dealer installed option to we dont smog diesels. I guess the way the inspections have gone is to the worse and more stringent. I have been living out of state since 95 and alot has changed.) And its no use telling them that it didnt have one. They all seem to know based on what the computer says.

And the problem now is that NY and Cali use the same standards. I told them it the exhaust was a dealer installed option (it wasnt) and they said, "not in NY it wasnt."

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I'd go to a few other shops. Worth a try. I just walked up after parking the truck and talked to the different test guys. I explained that I bought a 04 w/ exhaust, and could they check if 04 needs cat. Guy said lets check the book, "04, nope no cat required" Sooner or later you'll find someone that doesn't know the difference.

Better yet, have a good looking chick test it for you and have her play stupid, might work better.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know...From what they're all tellin me, they all run off the same system statewide. If one shop fails me, then another shop 400 miles away, still within the state, can see that one failed me for exhaust mods...New system, getting harder to beat. They also spoke of the vin #1 vs. vin #2....

·
Banned
735 Posts
Tell em' you blew up the '04.5 LLY and you transplanted a '04 LB7 in your truck and it doesn't need a cat...:help2: Just a suggestion. Ya know there's some goober that will fall for it or somethin similar.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Find a young guy and slip him a fifty. I bet it gets overlooked in a hurry.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Either way, I may find someone this year to pass me which I doubt. However, it dosent fix the problem. I still need a cat to put on. They wont even look at it if the stock exhaust isnt there. I need one so I can gut it than wend it back up. All they have to do is see it.

·
Banned
735 Posts
They wont even look at it if the stock exhaust isnt there.
That sux big time!! WTF? I guess your stock exhaust will never rust off, get ripped off, turn to crap, ect. :mad:

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
That sux big time!! WTF? I guess your stock exhaust will never rust off, get ripped off, turn to crap, ect. :mad:
Well you can always buy a new one from GM ;)

I think you will be able to find one with a bit of time.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'm better off buyin one aftermarket then gutting it.

Unless I can find someone here who kept their old one and no longer wants it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.