Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck every once in a while will spit out black smoke in puffs not in a steady stream.(like maybe one injector is just dumping fuel in and not pulsing) I've removed my tuner so it is back to stock. it doesnt do it all the time that is what is confusing me. do you guys think its a bad injector or maybe just sticking?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure if I can say for sure myself wether or not its an injector. Sounds like it could be to me. But I can tell you just make sure if you take your truck to a dealer that they have someone that knows how to work on diesels, not just running guessing on things not covered under warranty. I just got my truck back finaly from a dealer that should have never had it in the begining.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah i know luckily the dealer i go to my uncle has worked there for 20 years he is the tranny expert. and they also have a diesel expert there i've talked to him quite a bit he seems to know a lot

·
Registered
300 Posts
Check the maf sensor. Does it knock a little more than usual when it does it? Does it make a coughing noise and jerks the truck when it happens?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah it does actually

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you have a wet intake system try cleaning the maf sensor with electrical contact cleaner but be careful not to damage the tiny wires you might have got some oil on it. Try that and see what happens. let me know how it works. But deffinatly look into the maf sensor before you tear into the injectors alot cheaper. I had the same problem but my egr code blocker took a dive and messed up the maf sensor

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright thanks i didnt think of that i havent oiled my filter recently but i will clean my MAF sensor with cleaner and clean my filter while i'm at it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
dont over oil the filter

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cleaned the MAF and no change i ran injector cleaner through it and no change either. Im going to the dealer tomorrow to have it scanned hopefully they can tell me something even though my SEL isnt on

·
Registered
174 Posts
i have the same problem with my 05 lly its driving me nuts

·
Registered
300 Posts
IT has to be something with either the maf sensor or egr

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats what i was starting to think if my egr is bad can i just fingerstick it and block it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
i had the same problem your describing. i put in a egr blocker plate and that solved the problem, you could also try unplugging the egr to see if that helps

G

·
If it is already bad, you may not be able to simply unplug it; it may be stuck open, and/or you can blow it open with boost even if it is closed. Blocking it is the best bet... but unplugging it may be worth a try. Just don't panic if it doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
try the blocker plate and fingerstick should clear it up if the egr is bad

·
Registered
430 Posts
try the blocker plate and fingerstick should clear it up if the egr is bad
Izuzupowered problem sounds similar to when my egr valve failed. I would have poor performance and lots of smoke at low boost. The fingerstick requires an operational Egr. I would block first to see if it improves performance then fingerstick it only if it is not a Fe9 truck.

Good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the replies guys much appreciated! But i went to the dealer and they scanned my truck and told me the MAF had failed 126 times in the last 500 miles so i tried my buddies MAF in my truck and it ran quiter through the rpm range and it seemed to run better. I am also going to block the egr.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Are you going to get a new maf sensor there quite spendy i paid over 350 for mine

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah i work at an advance auto here in town i ordered one thru them and with my discount i can get it for 120 bucks. thanks for your help

·
Registered
300 Posts
No problem. You got a hell of a deal on your maf sensor

1 - 20 of 21 Posts