Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of heating my fuel injection lines between the IP and injectors so that the veggy oil stays hot, especially in the winter time. In order to design I need the lengths of the 8 lines. Does anyone have these off, or have them in a place where they can be measured? Would appreciate anyones help.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I'm thinking of heating my fuel injection lines between the IP and injectors so that the veggy oil stays hot, especially in the winter time. In order to design I need the lengths of the 8 lines. Does anyone have these off, or have them in a place where they can be measured? Would appreciate anyones help.
Thanks,
Dave
i don't know the lenghts, but would suggest a setup where you start the engine on diesel and once the veggie fuel heats up switch tanks over to veggie and when readying to shutdown switch tanks back to diesel. probably easier to do than heating injector lines and possibly much cheaper to do. just outta curiosity how do you intend on heating the lines and what about the injectors themselves.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have my engine out and down, I'll try to measure them and post back to you tomorrow night.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
edzzed, check out my signature. As far as heating goes, I'm thinking Nichrome wire or Claybourn heat tape. Fattywagon also make line heaters. Just looking at ways to keep the injectors clean as they are a pain in the *** to get to. Hey another reason to put a Cummins 12V in.

thanks northern.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Dave, I'll have to look but I think the fattywagon heaters didn't do much when a guy tested them on the infopop forum. Do you currently have one of those plate heaters? I'll look for the electric that is actually supposed to work well but I think it's more money than fattywagon's.

found it

http://www.plantdrive.com/page0/page41/page41.html

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guy,
Thinking of one of these 26 plate heat exchangers http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8060936451&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

May build (with all my spare time) something electric like the Vegitherm. I'd like it to be something thats long so it has more chance for heat exchange.

What I really want to try is the electric heat right on the injector lines. I think its a second chance to get the oil temp up before forcing the oil through the injectors. I think that it could possibly help with earlier switch overs when the heated oil is trying to heat up the IP.

I mean I have to start to do something with the extra alternator and batteries.....

It funny that the worst injector on the drivers side was the front one. It will be interesting to see what the other side looks like. Started much better this morning, so I'm runnning WVO again. :ro)

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Ya, Omarsales has some nice plate heat exchangers. I think fattywagons is the one that has the heat lines that wrap around the injector lines. iirc they weren't that expensive either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey asnowsquall here is the mearurements of my injector lines. 21 1/2, 21,
20 1/2, 21, 24, 22, 20, and 23 inches. I hope that this info helps you out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot Northern! I figured around 2 feet.

I'm tempted to try my own experiment heating the whole length of each of the 8 lines. It's just that it may take more time than just buying and installing Fattywagons lines.

FYI, I missed spelled Clayborn above and can't seem to edit it. http://www.claybornlab.com/

I know its not cold out, but my truck is starting much better now after only replacing the injectors on one side, looking forward to the other 4.

Thanks again Northern. Will post progress of heated lines.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Dave, I apologize. After rereading the whole post, I realize you were talking about the Fattywagons injector line heaters and not the fuel line heater. I heard the injector line heaters work well, if you do the install right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Glad that I could help out. Let us know how it turns out for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts