Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to put green keys in my truck to lift it up a couple of inches instead of cranking the bolts all the way in the stock keys. I lifted the front end up and got the tires off of the ground. I got the adjuster bolts out no problem, but the keys still had pressure on the adjuster bolt's other part that it screws in to. And there is still just too much pressure to move it with a regular c-clamp. I tried by even taking off the flat base and having the ball on the end of the rod. It just started to bend.

Does anyone have one of the proper torsion bar c-clamp's that they'd be willing to loan out to me. I would of course pay shipping both ways and something extra for letting me do it. Please let me know.

I did crank up the stock ones 6 turns and it raised the front end up 1-3/4". But I already have the green keys and would feel better if they were in there.

Just gotta install the shock extensions and then go get the new 255/85R16 tires on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you have the ability to get to a shop with a hoist, I have seen people use a screw jack to get the green keys in. Other wise the tool is about the only way to do it on the ground.. a couple of other ways I have seen done and ( NOT recommended)Unless you make sure the truck is on jack stands solid and use a bottle jack to push them up.. or even a puller if you can get it to hook onto the frame but there is a tremendous amount of pressure being applied there NOT SAFE at all in my opinion .. I purchased the tool after fighting with mine once.
You may want to list your location because I am sure there is someone a little closer then me, or if you know anyone at the local dealerships or shops you could call and ask to borrow one.. You never know.
Best of Luck,
Jon

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH, I'm in Wadsworth, Ohio. About 1/2 hour south of Cleveland.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Duno if the crank it up boys have one that you could barrow or they would install em for ya?

OTC sells the tool for around 90$

Auto zone or the like might have one in the loan a tool program as well.

Or ask to barrow one in the loan a tool thread in the shop talk forum :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Should be a few guys in that area that would have one.. I see you are having trouble getting them out, just wait untill you try to put the green keys in.. I would not go any farther untill you get a hold of a tool.
My stock ones basically fell out when I backed off the bolt and the green keys were quite difficult, it is like trying to load the bars and then put the block and bolt back in.
Good luck,
Jon

·
Registered
264 Posts
Depending on what you've got for tools, you can also undo the upper ball joint and the lower shock mount. Have the truck on jack stands on the frame behind the wheel, remove the wheel and put a floor jack under the lower control arm. Undo the upper ball joint at the knuckle and the lower shock mount and lower the knuckle with the floor jack. Be careful as there is still tension on everything. You'll be able to get it down low enough to get the old keys out and the new ones in. Then reverse to get back together. As I said, work slowly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of the tech's here at work had a 1500 that needed a frame. I guess they searched ever where for the tool but it was dealer only here in town. (i also got on here to see the best way to do this) so instead of paying over a hundered dollars for a tool that would get used twice. They took a c clamp removed the pad on the clamping end of screw then welded a nut at the other end and it worked great. They got the idea from the picture of the tool the dealer sent us. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
396 Posts
My life and limbs are worth more than $125.00, I have one in my toolbox. I would NEVER trust a C-Clamp anymore than I would try to pull springs with a cheap spring compressor.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The c-clamp might work to get the stock one in and out but the green key is a whole different animal!!! It would never hold with course threads, it would lay over or brake!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Didnt I tell you to use the correct tool a week or two ago?

How much height are you looking to get? How many more turns can you go with stock keys? No benefit to aftermarkey keys if you can get same height with stockers....

70 gsconvt;1622833; said:
Hi, I'm trying to put green keys in my truck to lift it up a couple of inches instead of cranking the bolts all the way in the stock keys. I lifted the front end up and got the tires off of the ground. I got the adjuster bolts out no problem, but the keys still had pressure on the adjuster bolt's other part that it screws in to. And there is still just too much pressure to move it with a regular c-clamp. I tried by even taking off the flat base and having the ball on the end of the rod. It just started to bend.

Does anyone have one of the proper torsion bar c-clamp's that they'd be willing to loan out to me. I would of course pay shipping both ways and something extra for letting me do it. Please let me know.

I did crank up the stock ones 6 turns and it raised the front end up 1-3/4". But I already have the green keys and would feel better if they were in there.

Just gotta install the shock extensions and then go get the new 255/85R16 tires on.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
You could probably sell it on the classifieds here for close to what you payed for it to a guy wanting to use it once ;) Might get a tool that gets passed all around the DP by the time its all said and done ;)

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Didnt I tell you to use the correct tool a week or two ago?

How much height are you looking to get? How many more turns can you go with stock keys? No benefit to aftermarkey keys if you can get desired height with stockers....

70 gsconvt;1622833; said:

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
mr_udy;1623064; said:
How much height are you looking to get? How many more turns can you go with stock keys? No benefit to aftermarkey keys if you can get same height with stockers....
Good point! Might not even need the keys......

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The stock keys could go maybe another 2 full turns. I've tried Autozone and every other rental place around. No dice. I did crank it up about 6 full turns and got right about 1-3/4". I won't know for sure what the exact height I "need" until I get the shock extensions on and the new tires. Once I've established that the new tires don't rub, I can go up or even back down from there.

New tires are 255/85R16's, so they're almost 2.5" taller than the stock 245/75R16's.

I'm not going to try any bottle jack or other tricks. I like all my fingers right where they're at. As a firefighter/paramedic for 14 years, I've been on too many calls with people that were doing what they weren't supposed to.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess maybe I could try that. At least it would clamp around the channel.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Try and PM McRat, ABQfirefighter, or Trippin IIRC they all had them at one time if you want to barrow one.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
you get about 1/4" per turn so you likely got about 1.5" so far. Another 2 turns will get you to the magic 2" mark. I think you'll have no problems with 255s on stock wheels cause there so narrow. I wouldnt bother with keys otherwise your gonna be tempted to go further and run into maxing out your control arms. Bye the way, how much clearance between UCA and frame stop do you have now with truck on level ground? If you have less than 1/2"...I'd stop other wise your gonna hate the ride even with shock extensions. If you still need height, Cognito arms will allow you to benefit from the keys and crank her up a bit more...

Be sure to post photos...I'd like to run 255s in the winter...if I could find a good AT tread...(BFG only have them in MTs).

Good luck...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With the truck back on the ground, I have about 1.5" clearance between the upper arm and bump stop.

ABQFirefighter has agreed to send me his clamp, so I'll be putting the green keys in as soon as I get it. Thanks a bunch to him for helping out.

I checked again and I have 2 threads on the driver's side and 3 on the passenger side to go higher if I had to. But like I said, I hate maxxing out those bolts, so the green keys are going in. It does feel different with the front end up like that. I can't wait to get the other almost 4" with the new tires. I measured my stock tires, which are almost bald, and they're about 29" right now and the new tires are 33".

Man, I may have to redo my adj. hitch for my camper before this is all done.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe you will only benefit to the tune of about 2" of added height (from tire size change) if oveall diameter is increased by 4".

Sound great though, just trying to manage expectations before you make your purchase of tires, easier to change tire size before you buy if your chasing a specific height increase and not tire size.

Good luck,

Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.