Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy that just bought my 2001 GMC Duramax just put gas into the diesel fuel tank and drove it 3 blocks and noticed the truck smoking. He pulled over and had the truck towed to his house.

What can he do to solve the problem? Is it a job he can do?

Help

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would drain it and change the filters at the very least.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Ya... drain it, change the filter, refill it (1/4 tank), drain, refill again.
Run it for a short distance (just enough to flush the fuel system), then change the filter again.

If it runs fine without smoking, it's probably okay. May have damaged the injectors and IP pump, maybe not.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a search and most of the guys are saying to just pull as much gas out as you can and fill the tank up with diesel and add some diesel fuel lube. Then drive it lightly.

I think there is a fuel primer lever some where in the engine area. Whouldnt that help by opening this and letting some of the gas out and fill the line with diesel. etc.....

thanks
sorry for being so short, the guy just did it an hour a go and needs the truck in the morning for work to haul some loads.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I did a search and most of the guys are saying to just pull as much gas out as you can and fill the tank up with diesel and add some diesel fuel lube. Then drive it lightly.

I think there is a fuel primer lever some where in the engine area. Whouldnt that help by opening this and letting some of the gas out and fill the line with diesel. etc.....

thanks
sorry for being so short, the guy just did it an hour a go and needs the truck in the morning for work to haul some loads.
There is a primer at the filter housing, but he'll be pushing forever to get it out. Id just drain the tank, refill it, add in some Powerservice,Stadnyne or sometype of additive, then maybe change the filter towards the end of the tank......

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I don't see that gas will hurt the filter. You still have gas in the filter that can be drained in place by removing the water sensor. Nothing you can do about the gas in the rails and pumps. Shouldn't take long to run it out. Later! Frank

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
It won't hurt the filter, but I'd be worried about what's left saturated in the media.

No, you can't do anything about what's in the rails and lines, but no sense in feeding a slow, steady stream for the next 5k.

It's $100 for a pair of filters... how much is a set of injectors and pump?

And ya, brg, the filter primer moves about 2-3 ounces of fuel at a time.
It takes about 40 'pumps' just to reprime the filter, and that's less than a quart.
We're talking about 20+ gallons!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.