Diesel Place banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Only if ya go to v-belts.... 6.2 changed to the rubber isolated when they went serp...

Tinworm... THIS is what you shouldve put in your astro!
My 91 6.2 has a V belt pulley which is isolated in rubber. Not easy to source a new one either.

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts
My 91 6.2 has a V belt pulley which is isolated in rubber. Not easy to source a new one either.
You have a 91 6.2 with v belts? I didn't think anything after 86 had v belts...

Pics?:wtf:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like yours, my pulley was shot. The rubber looked fine, but the outer part of the pulley separated from rubber it was connected too. I'm guessing that happened when my alternator bearing seized up....then I forced the truck to start and melted my serpentine belt..... that's when the truck started making all that racket (outer part of pulley was hitting the mounting bolts......)
I may as well have posted this, this is EXACTLY what's happened to ours also!!!

I bought our 94 C1500 6.5L Turbo FI about 3 months ago, after it had sat for 3 years at an acquaintance's acreage. He said that he felt it a wobble a little bit just before he parked it, but hadn't looked at it because he bought something bigger, and then forgot about it.

Enter us. We've been daily driving it 60 mi highway and 10 mi gravel road, something was bound to happen...2 months ago the old alt seized up and trashed the belt, then we shredded another 2 belts a week ago...now we're also replacing the HB pulley, its back is shredded (3 yrs of sitting will do that!)...

We're regular mechanics, but this is our first diesel...so glad y'all are here to help us put the pieces into the puzzle!

How is your HB itself currently? We're also considering only replacing the pulley (at least for now)...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,823 Posts
How is your HB itself currently? We're also considering only replacing the pulley (at least for now)...
You may want to check them but most of the time, if 1 is bad, it will take the other one since they are actually operating as one unit.

It is bad due to age not only mileage.
So, it can go bad even if the truck is not running.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts