Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my transmission fluid and filter and it now shifts very hard into 3rd and sometime reverse. I didn't drive it fast enough to see if it does it in 4th or 5th.
I got fluid to the cold section, drove it a little, it was shifting hard, went back let it run a while, filled to Hot level and it's still shifting hard.
I put about 7 quarts (total) after draining and changing filter. I did fill filter about 3/4 before putting on as well.

What might I be doing wrong?
What should the tranny temp be when checking hot?
The manual says temp should be between 160-200 dF but does specify whether that's the engine or tranny?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
You didn't do anything wrong. You may have gotten an air pocket in the Ally or possibly put it in gear too soon. It will have to adapt and relearn. Just drive it around easy till it learns. Show it some love and it will throw it right back at ya.
mike

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the piece of mind Mike.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should the tranny temp be 160 F to check Hot level? I drive a short trip to work and town and mine never gets over 125-140 F.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After 2 days of driving, I'm still having problems. I got the tranny up to 150 F today and the level was near the top of the hot level cross section. But I still get a variation of hard shifting, and slip.
Sometime it runs smooth. Other time I may experience a delay before it shifts hard into reverse. Sometime the engines revs while going foraward through the gears, and sometime it shifts hard. It's not consistant. Any ideas as to what may be wrong? I used Advanced Auto Parts Brand Dextron III fluid.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
How many times have you limped the tranny........Did it ever give you these same symptoms prior to the oil change?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never limped it and had no issues what so ever prior to oil change. I purchased the truck with 48,000 miles and it now has 55,000 miles. I'm wondering if the old owner may have added an additive to hide this problem. There were no performance mods done when I got it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You didn't do anything wrong. You may have gotten an air pocket in the Ally or possibly put it in gear too soon. It will have to adapt and relearn. Just drive it around easy till it learns. Show it some love and it will throw it right back at ya.
mike
You were right Mike, after a few more days of driving it has finally smoothed out. I thought I was going to be forced to do the tranny upgrade. ):h Which would be great if I had the $$$ to do it.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Had the same problem after my Ally fluid change. But I ALSO had high temps 190-200 all the time...no matter time of day or city/highway.

Pat (McRat) and Ralph (05 2500hd) resetted my TAPS with Pat's Tech 2 and runs smooth again and normal temps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts