Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had this happen?? I went to change the 4 glow plugs on the passenger side because the threaded terminals twisted off...then the first one I try to remove just twisted off in the head :eek:...Any ideas how to get this out??? I have attached a few photos of the rusty glow plugs and the twisted off one...Thanks in advance for any help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
They all need to be soaked in penetrating oil for a few days and sprayed multiple times. But now you need to drill it out and get a extractor and take your time and get it out. If you don't feel comfortable doing it take it somewhere. If you mess it up next step is pulling the head. I know on my truck it has the extended warranty for 200,000 miles or 10 years on the glow plugs. Mine are new tho and it's on it's 3rd set.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Holy hell batman that is nasty. I was looking at mine earlier in the week and there isn't any rust on them. Being from Oklahoma I think I am spoiled to not having do deal with that kind of rust and nasty mess. How do you guys work on stuff up there? Changing the manifold looks like a nightmare. My 86 F150 beater truck doesn't have that much rust on the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe the rust either...it does look like a 30 yr old engine. The joys of road salt here in Ontario. I am now soaking the plugs with penetrating oil and going to buy an extractor...hope all goes well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it be a good idea to use a torch and heat up the aluminum around the glow plug to help release it?

·
Registered
301 Posts
You could try it. Aluminum expands about twice as much as steel so i would think it would help. You don't need to get it super hot tho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far no luck...even with heat I'm afraid the extractor is going to snap. I am using a 12 inch wrench on it. I tried one of the other glow plugs and it felt like it was going to twist off also so I stopped...not sure what to do next.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
looks & sounds familiar, I have 3 that snapped before I gave up, still in there

Ive heard welding a washer to glowplug in the head, then weld a nut onto the washer. the heat from welding helps loosen up the threads & have plenty to grab onto with the nut.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Anyone ever had this happen?? I went to change the 4 glow plugs on the passenger side because the threaded terminals twisted off...then the first one I try to remove just twisted off in the head :eek:...Any ideas how to get this out??? I have attached a few photos of the rusty glow plugs and the twisted off one...Thanks in advance for any help!!
The first picture looks like the glow plug tip (heater) is broken off, if it is still in the cylinder the head will have to be removed to remove it,or cylinder/piston/valve damage will result if the tip is not removed from the cylinder.

CC

·
Resident Gynecologist....
4,267 Posts
Only think I can think of off the top of my head is you need a piece of steel that is the same size of the center of the glow plug. Slip it into the glow plug, leaving few inches sticking out. Then tig the piece to the glow plug.

when that is done and cooled down, you need to get something called FREEZE SPRAY. I think autozone sells something called CRC/freeze off

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/CRC-Freeze-Off-super-penetrant/_/N-25ap?itemIdentifier=898352_0_0_

You spray it on and it freezes the bolt/glowplug. Should work better than trying to heat the head. If it won't move with the first freeze, freeze it good then tap the end with a small hammer while spraying penetrating oil. leave it a little then try to move it. if not, freeze it, then heat it, let cool then freeze it and heat it again.

I have done it a few times and works a charm Just be patience

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as penetrating oil goes, is WD-40 good for this? That is what I have been using. Also, I think the extractor is expanding the threads of the glow plug against the threads in the head which is working against me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'd use Kroil or PB Blast for penetrating oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd use Kroil or PB Blast for penetrating oil.
X2 again

PB has saved me from many nasty bolts, i usually soak it on before i go to work, when i get home and before i pass out for 2 days and whatevers stuck comes right out wd40 is more of a regular light lubricant, not penetrating so much

·
Registered
488 Posts
As far as penetrating oil goes, is WD-40 good for this? That is what I have been using. Also, I think the extractor is expanding the threads of the glow plug against the threads in the head which is working against me.
Have you made any progress? I have the same issue but I still have a nub left so I can get one of those socket looking extractors on there. Mine happened about a month ago but I'm waiting for warmer weather to attempt the extraction.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
YIKES!!

If someone could get in there and TIG Weld a washer like stated above, I usually use a bolt and weld that to the washer and turn out broken studs and such, never tried it on a glow plug, and hope I NEVER have to!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
to the O.P........did you try these....the way they work as you unscrew the tool in the GP it will bit more into the metal of the broken GP hopefully unscrewing the GP

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes that is the kind of extractor I tried but the plug is so tight that the extractor is trying to thread in and force the threads even tighter. After drilling into the glow plug there isn't much material left so it stretches easily. I am waiting for a set of snap-on extractors that you tap in with a hammer and have the 4 gripping edges that run down the length of the extractor. I am also trying penetrating oil called "deep creep" made by sea foam. Napa said that was the best stuff they carry.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.