Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck stumbled/ missed at take-off today, I thought maybe plugged fuel filter. Checked water drain, very little pressure. Changed fuel filter, not enough pressure to bleed. note: ops and Fuel pump are new replaced as preventive maintance while doing heads, injectors, glows etc..., less than 300 miles ago. put the old fuel pump on that had been running 4+ lbs before, same problem. put the old ops on, same problem, blew air back thru lines to the tank, truck runs but no fuel pressure to speak of, will not even come out of bleed valve at filter. could the sock still be plugged even though I blew air back thru it ? any thoughts please ?

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
I believe there also may be a screen in the bottom of the filter bowl. Can you disconnect the fuel line where it goes into the bowl and see what the flow and pressure is?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The truck stumbled/ missed at take-off today, I thought maybe plugged fuel filter. Checked water drain, very little pressure. Changed fuel filter, not enough pressure to bleed. note: ops and Fuel pump are new replaced as preventive maintance while doing heads, injectors, glows etc..., less than 300 miles ago. put the old fuel pump on that had been running 4+ lbs before, same problem. put the old ops on, same problem, blew air back thru lines to the tank, truck runs but no fuel pressure to speak of, will not even come out of bleed valve at filter. could the sock still be plugged even though I blew air back thru it ? any thoughts please ?

Thanks
Are you sure the LP is pumpin? They can sound like it but not pump at the same time. If it's pumpin' but nothin' thru bleeder, I would pull the line of the LP and run into a pail of fuel. If it gets better you know what you have to do.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the lift pump off of the truck, it was putting out 6psi, I think next I will check pump psi right at the lift pump while it's pulling from the tank. I did check the screen in the filter housing, it was nasty but didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had air getting sucked into my fuel line at high demand. It would stumble after a couple seconds of WOT. Hardest darn thing to find.

There's a fitting near top of fuel tank where rubber hose meets the metal fuel line. It's never under pressure (only vacuum) and you may never notice a "leak" but it will seep and draw bubbles into fuel at that point if rubber line is cracked or weather checked or if fitting is severely rusted.

It drove me nuts til I found it. I just cut the rubber above the fitting and slid in a piece of metal fuel line with a couple small hose clamps. Since I had to splice in the metal fuel line, I went forward as far as I could to reach decent enough line (non rusty) to splice back into. GM even has an open spot in it's tubing holders for the replacement line!

Might be worth a look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts