Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, just picked up a 02 duramax
and with everthing I'm hearing about the need for clean fuel I want to chg my filter. Don't want to pay the local dealer $160.00 and I dont have a manual either
. Can somebody help me out with the replacement and bleeding procedures.

P.S Duramax rules...

·
Registered
53 Posts
They do not make it easy. You need to remove the water sensor wire from the bottom of the filter. It is easer to see what you are doing to remove the fender liner behind the right front tire. Carefully remove the filter. It is large and I used channel lock pliers on the bottom. Be careful to not damage the water senson. If you spill fuel on the frame it can remove the coating. With the filter out, you can remove the water sensor and replace on new filter. Install new filter carefully watching the o-rings. replace the sensor wire. There is a bleader screw on the top of the filter housing. loosen the screw. There is a pump on the top of the housing. Use the pump until all of the air is removed from the filter. tighten the bleader screw and start it up. check for leaks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Also, as you are pumping (priming), don't be fooled when you first start to get fuel/air out. It will bubble/fizz quite a bit. Have paper towels handy, but keep pumping until it is a clear stream of fuel, no bubbles. It is pretty obvious when you get there.

John

·
Registered
340 Posts
CS-Dmax said:
Also, as you are pumping (priming), don't be fooled when you first start to get fuel/air out. It will bubble/fizz quite a bit. Have paper towels handy, but keep pumping until it is a clear stream of fuel, no bubbles. It is pretty obvious when you get there.

John

Usually takes 15 to 30 pumps to get clear fuel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IBBOWTIE,

Changed my fuel filter today. Took the inner fender off and that made it sure easy to get to.

Just unplug the wires to the water sensor, places a small container under the filter, remove the small water drain, then remove the sensor. About a quart of diesel will drain into the container. Be sure you have a big pair of channel locks - it will take it to get the filter off. Replace the o-rings (be careful with the large one) and put everything back together.

Remove the bleeder screw at the top of the filter housing and pump the primer until fuel comes out (with no bubbles). Should take you about 30-45 minutes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hello all

We do all our 03's from the top. piece of cake.. We don't have the time to take finders off.. Its real easy to change
from the top.. and you dont have to remove the battery..

I dont get it as to why people are talking finders off

From steve
Fleet

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
i pulled the ps battery and was able to use a standard filter wrench. took 15 mins and was my first change. just dont overtighten and after replacing the vent plug pump till it gets hard to pump.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I use a paint pail liner that you can pick up at Home Depot in the paint dept for about 89c.

It folds flat and you can shove it under the filter. When you let it go it opens up and sits on the frame. Makes a great fuel catcher.

I use a band style fuel filter wrench...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You Guy's are great and this forum is awesome
. Thanks to all for the tips. I'm going to change the filter this weekend.

·
Registered
369 Posts
smartfix said:
hello all

We do all our 03's from the top. piece of cake.. We don't have the time to take finders off.. Its real easy to change
from the top.. and you dont have to remove the battery..

I dont get it as to why people are talking finders off

From steve
Fleet

Your trucks have AC or not????

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
A/C!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Smartfix...I looked at my '03 yesterday, and am stumped as to how you are replacing the filters so easy. Whats the secret?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts