Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tech Gawds,

I was changing my fuel filter today (4th or 5th change) and all was well until I went to prime...pump after pump after pump and nothing came out. I started with a 1/2 full filter. Any ideas what might be going here?

I poked around the diesel forums and found a post on pushing fuel to the filter by using an air compressor, 1/2 tennis ball, and ball needle...all used at the filler cap. This was messy, but worked after several tries with the help Chuntag95 (it is nice to have a forum member and fellow Aggie living close by!).

Thanks in advance for the help!Edited by: Silver Bullet

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...just looking for a little input here as I have not taken it in for the problem or added a lift pump, but something is going to have to give soon...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Isn't there a check valve in the OEM filter head ? Seems like I remember something of them not working on some trucks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about the check valve...can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.Edited by: Silver Bullet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes there are actually 2 checkballs in the filter housing. I have seen them stick causing a fuel drainback no start condition.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joelman - Can you give me a little more info so I can check this out further.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Is your W.I.F. shut snug.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
W.I.F????

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
W.I.F????

Water In Fuel sensor. That's the white nylon part on the bottom of the filter where the wires plug in. The fuel drain is also in that part.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Zeeb.

I am pretty sure it is...when I had the problem I tried 2 different filters with the same result.

SB

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
This is a silly question and forgive me if you have done this......but.....did you open the vent on top of the housing before pumping?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YES!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any other ideas????

·
Registered
817 Posts
Put in a lift pump with a pushbutton switch under the hood.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
smart a$$

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same problem and also used compressed air,4 filter changes since and no problems. That one time I changed the filter, I changed it when the engine was warm. I dont know if that had anything to do with it or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a problem that took the dealership several months to find,there is a problem with some of the primer pumps.Are you sure the primer isn't going bad?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am trying to figure out if the primer is going bad w/out taking it in. I may see what happens at the next change in 5-7K miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The next change happened this morning...and everything worked as expected. No sure what to think...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts