Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my truck started to clunk while I was accelerating up to freeway speed. It only did it once and it came from the front end. I left for work this morning and noticed it again. It did it about once every 30sec or less. It does not do it when I am coasting and it is not related to road bumps. It is also not consistant as it happens at random times. The clunk sounds like metal on metal similar to the clunk that you get taking it in and out of 4wd. Any Ideas??? this is my work truck and if it dont work I dont work

·
Registered
16 Posts
It could be front actuator could be letting axle engage and disengage? I had to replace an axle on mine when I bought it ,the spline was chewed up from not engaging fully, also had to have shifter mechanism in fron differential replaced, it broke along with right axle and wouldn't engage. I still have to backup to engage, or It will bang going forward and engage under load. The actuators have had problems with harness, actuators it self. There is aftermarket kit to change acuator to ful cable system. plowking

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
have you replaced the shocks latley if you have a bolt could be loose when i did the shocks on my 99 td i had the same noise didnt happen all the time just when i hit a bump the right way just a suggestion

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
sway bar attachment?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking the actuator myself but the 4wd works fine and it still makes the noise in 4wd.

The noise is Non-Bump related. it makes the noise regardless of how bumpy or smooth the road is.

It is definetly a binding driveline related noise, not something that has come loose in the front end.

I just took it to the Stealer and took one of the techs for a ride. He thinks it is the T-Case shift fork engaging and disengageing. They are going to diagnose the problem and let me know. The guy seemed very knowlegable and helpful. I will keep you guys updated on the progress. It will probably be quite expensive so I might end up needing to do it myself. Anyone have a used T-Case lying around??-:t

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I had a very similar clunk once before and it ended up being the 4 bolts that hold the trans. crossmember to the frame had come loose about 1/4 turn. It wasn't enough to really tell visually, but when you put a wrench to them they were loose.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Maybe motor or trans mounts?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had a very similar incident not too long ago and it turned out to be a bad front wheel bearing. Just for kicks, jack the front of your truck up and spin the tires by hand and make sure they spin smooth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts