Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this truck several months ago and it had a strong cigarette smoke smell. I had it completely shampooed - headliner and all and it completely cleared the smell. However, now with winter and running the blower at near high, the smell is still very strong from the heater vents. Since there is no cabin air filter, what can I do to deodorize the vents? Is there someplace I can spray an air freshener into the cabin air intake?

·
Registered
712 Posts
There is something called an ionizer or something like that the local dealership should know because it is what they use in there trade-ins most likely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ozium, comes in small spray cans, you can probaly get it at conveience stores or grocery stores in you area. All the old pot heads use it and all smells are gone, works great for cigs.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
try running your heater full blast, and then spray lysol through the exterior intake vents under the windshield wipers. use alot. This is also recomended to kill any mold in your vents.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This reminds me of the valet B.O. episode of Seinfeld!:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

·
Registered
153 Posts
calirider;1596491; said:
There is something called an ionizer or something like that the local dealership should know because it is what they use in there trade-ins most likely.
I second this. Used car dealers use it to kill bad smells in the heat/ac ducts. you spray it into the vents and let it run down into the ducts. Dust in the ducts holds moisture and absorbs odors, and nicotine/smoke gets in the ducts too. The spray cleaner washes it down and kills the smell and then evaporates. Sorry I forget the product name. Call around to auto parts stores that used car dealers buy from.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
washingtonconcrete;1596652; said:
Ozium, comes in small spray cans, you can probaly get it at conveience stores or grocery stores in you area. All the old pot heads use it and all smells are gone, works great for cigs.
:exactly: Stuff will kill just about any odor. Also, put some desicant packs under your seats.

·
Registered
176 Posts
calirider;1596491; said:

Exactly!! The dealer should know what it is. I get it from my supplier, about 3 bucks per can and will kill ANY odor for good!!! If you have trouble finding it, let me know, I can put you in touch with my supplier, they can/will sell it too you.

Bill

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you can leave it closed up for a few days (such as gone on vacation or something) try laying out some unused coffee grounds inside the cab. The inside will smell like coffee for a couple days after-word but the coffee will absorb all the other odors from the interior. This works, I did it to absorb the spoiled milk smell from my wifes van once after my kids spilled milk all over the back seat and carpet. Shampooing didn't even come close to getting rid of that but the coffee did the trick.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If all above doesnt work for you, Go to a dealer that sells fuel oil furnace supplies. They make a great areosol that takes away fuel oil stink and leaves a nice , fresh smell behind. Good stuff for sure. good luck:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Change your interior air filters.

·
Registered
712 Posts
He said there was not one in his main post.

·
Registered
321 Posts
haunruh;1596483; said:
I bought this truck several months ago and it had a strong cigarette smoke smell. I had it completely shampooed - headliner and all and it completely cleared the smell. However, now with winter and running the blower at near high, the smell is still very strong from the heater vents. Since there is no cabin air filter, what can I do to deodorize the vents? Is there someplace I can spray an air freshener into the cabin air intake?

I know you will laugh but I bought a used camper that had a heavy smoke smell. I was reading in a rv book about tips on getting rid of the smell the most popular tip is zest bars. ZEST soap bars will absorb the odor from the cab. I tried it and WOW the smell was gone. I also went on a long road trip with a fellow who's vehicle was "smoked up" and on the way home I stopped and bought a three pack of zest bars and same thing the smell was gone. To this day the guy still thanks me. He leaves a bar of zest in his truck all the time. Put a WHOLE pack of bars in the truck and leave them in there for a couple of days. Also you can cut the bars or break them up. You may even want to put them in there and run your heater for a while. Just give the bars some time and you will be surprised. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
ibfarmerduramax;1599664; said:
I know you will laugh but I bought a used camper that had a heavy smoke smell. I was reading in a rv book about tips on getting rid of the smell the most popular tip is zest bars. ZEST soap bars will absorb the odor from the cab. I tried it and WOW the smell was gone. I also went on a long road trip with a fellow who's vehicle was "smoked up" and on the way home I stopped and bought a three pack of zest bars and same thing the smell was gone. To this day the guy still thanks me. He leaves a bar of zest in his truck all the time. Put a WHOLE pack of bars in the truck and leave them in there for a couple of days. Also you can cut the bars or break them up. You may even want to put them in there and run your heater for a while. Just give the bars some time and you will be surprised. Hope this helps.

Zest or Iris spring.....if you do this in the warmer months put it in a plastic container with holes in the lid under the seat.....works like a charm..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mrfixit;1599146; said:
If you can leave it closed up for a few days (such as gone on vacation or something) try laying out some unused coffee grounds inside the cab. The inside will smell like coffee for a couple days after-word but the coffee will absorb all the other odors from the interior. This works, I did it to absorb the spoiled milk smell from my wifes van once after my kids spilled milk all over the back seat and carpet. Shampooing didn't even come close to getting rid of that but the coffee did the trick.
I've been running it with coffee now for 3 months. When the coffee's fresh, beautiful coffee aroma. But within a few weeks, smoke!! And it's definitely coming out of the vents. I really don't want to dump coffee down the vents. Makes a real mess when you turn the blower on!!

Thanks guys for all the tips. I'll try the zest soap and lysol spray first and go from there if need be.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
BACKINBLACK;1599569; said:
Change your interior air filters.
X2.

He said there was not one in his main post

IIRC, the 2003 was the last year with cabin air filters.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
2002 was the last year for the cabin filters. 2003-up do not have them.

Zest soap? Neat idea!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ozone machine....

3rd this !! I had a electrical fire in my daily driver Astro about 4 years ago...shampoo the interior(three times), multiple ideas did not work !

The Ozone machine worked and 4 years later Astro still smells fine !!

Mine was done by a local detail shop that specialized in used vehicles detail...works great for smoke, fire damage, animal smells.

Not a lot of work involved and cost effective solution !!

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I used to smoke, quit now for 3 weeks, febreeze auto kills the smell. Don't know if temporary of perm. but kills it.
Ozium works, and lysol is probably a great idea.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Fabreeze does the trick!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts