Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there guys,on vacation and low and behold in the middle of nowhere truckgoes wacky while pulling a grade with 5th.cel light loss of power to the side of road ,plugged in the code reader(obd 2)and I got po2146,206,pending 0299.0300'0301,0304,0307,0307. could not find any thing wrong so cleared all idled awhile no codes , took off 3 milles later cel po1293 ,thats all cleared tookoff and 5miles all hell broke lose barely made it to a pull out ,po2146& po0206 scared todeath I remembered the ice pick thing I read here ,well 2 hours latter I tried it again and been ok for 100 miles ......? do you in the know think that got it or is there something I missed,book said #6 injector and that didnt make since tome cause I thought the problem was the #7&#1 ,,but I picked them all since I didnt now the order any way...........so am I ok or should I get help ?......any help......going to canada and wellbeon road 2 months

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ill put a beer on it, that the icepick method cured your problems.
Get your codes cleared at Autozone.

R

·
0 Posts
Ill put a beer on it, that the icepick method cured your problems.
Get your codes cleared at Autozone.
x2. Plenty of guys have confirmed that the General's fix can go bad too... but I don't think I've heard of a single person who's reported that the ice pick fix hasn't truly fixed the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thanks guys;I needed a boost before heading out this morn for a600mile leg to spokane ,I made it last night to lakeview oragan.we took hwy 395 from so cal cause I love the country hwys and farms and ranches , but where we broke there was nothing ,nobody ,dead between alteras,ca and susanville,ca .I did not no there was still roads in calif. where cars only come by every 5 minutes or so,bless there harts they did stop and ask if I needed help but the only one who new any thing about diesels was driving a ford,that hurt........thank god when I was loading up to leave home I came accross and old ICE PICK and I thought 'I best take that' .....truck only has 35k was not expecting any problems .........well thanks to all on this site, if Id not read about the harness conector problems here some time ago our trip would have been a disaster......thanks to all...Jerry

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Glad it fixed your problem-- Anyone with a LLY should "Ice Pick" their connectors now-- before they have a problem. It never happens next to the house! Also you should check the harness next to the alternator for wear at the FICM bracket.:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I got to admitt did not think it would work ,and only working from memory,but there were now options ,and jamming that pick into those connectors was not easy with ther short leashes and lack of space .... but it worked...not fun or easy but it worked....thanks again

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Glad it fixed your problem-- Anyone with a LLY should "Ice Pick" their connectors now-- before they have a problem. It never happens next to the house! Also you should check the harness next to the alternator for wear at the FICM bracket.:)
:exactly:

It would be well worth it to spend a little off time on the weekend and take those steps under your own terms than to wait for them to spring up on you. Consider it "preventative maintenance". :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
good point.i'm adding this to my list for saturday things to do

·
Registered
98 Posts
I been there had to have my truck towed home from Tenn and I live I Cincinnati,Ohio and that was close to 300 miles away. That hurt the tow bill was over 400.00 and that's with AAA plus but the guys on the site helped me out this site rocks.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Glad it fixed your problem-- Anyone with a LLY should "Ice Pick" their connectors now-- before they have a problem. It never happens next to the house!
Not true...mind did it to me in my driveway. It was first thing in the moring, on a cold engine, on my day off. I had my garage at my disposal and the internet in the office behind. My truck started, but it ran and sounded like a bag of hammers. I didn't have a code scanner at the time so I had to search the symptoms. 'picked my #2 & #7 because I didn't know which one, and it ran fine after that.

I knew after reading the threads that I was lucky to have it happen to me the way it did. I'm the lucky one...not on the side of a hill, with a trailer, with the family and no service on your cell phone.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I disagree. I go with the "If it aint broke don't fix it" theory on this one. Knock on wood mine has 96,000 on factory connections and still no problems, although I do carry an ice pick in the glove box.

R

·
0 Posts
I disagree. I go with the "If it aint broke don't fix it" theory on this one. Knock on wood mine has 96,000 on factory connections and still no problems, although I do carry an ice pick in the glove box.
Pops... you and I are in the same camp on this one. I'm at 104k and have never had a moment's problem with it. But I can guarantee I have my ice pick under the back seat in the tool bag.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I have never had the problem-- but I did "Pick" mine just so I don't -- and still have the ice pick under the back seat. Maybe I can help some poor broke down D-max on the highway. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1000 miles and running great since the break down & pick job ....... in orofino,Id. then up to baniff .canada. all is good ....thanks to all J.W.

·
Registered
111 Posts
May be a stupid question, but which cylinders are #2 & #7? Looking at engine from the front of truck. I'd like to do a preventive measure.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I beleive it is the front on the right side and rear on left side if you are standing in front. That was the ones they fixed on mine which is supposed to be 2 and 7.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I beleive it is the front on the right side and rear on left side if you are standing in front. That was the ones they fixed on mine which is supposed to be 2 and 7.
Yep, front right and rear left.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Pops... you and I are in the same camp on this one. I'm at 104k and have never had a moment's problem with it. But I can guarantee I have my ice pick under the back seat in the tool bag.
Randy-

I'm with you and Pops on this one. I'm at 92K and no problems yet. I may eat those words after this, but im going to put the icepick in the truck.

"If it aint broke and i try to fix it, well, its fubar."

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just a note on the 2&7 conecters ,my code reader said it was #6 was open so I did all 8 .didnt want to try and figuire out and since I had tear allot of stuff off and I had no place to go(even if I wanted to) I did,em all........but again the code was for #6 not 2or7...J.W.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts