Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I just bought a truck (1994 k2500) and the guy I got it from said he put in a 4l80 from a 6.5 diesel or something like that. Come to find that the undercarriage is soaked in trans fluid, which the farthest forward point I could find that it could be draining so heavily out of was this hole. There's one central one (centered on picture) and 2 to either side of it that look like they take bolts but have a lot of dirt in the threads.

Can anyone help me figure out what bolts these are for? I was thinking the center one was my drain plug, which, it's on the bottom of what looks like the bell housing and not a pan which I thought was odd.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

By the picture you posted it appears you may have a front seal leak or torque converter issue on the trans.

Reactions: Glagulator

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,988 Posts
Those bosses on the torque convertor shield are for braces that run up to the motor mounts.

Reactions: Couch man

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The 2 bolt holes on the sides are for transmission braces. They are a rod that goes from the bell housing to the block motor mounts. They really should be there because the trans case can crack without them. Center hole is always open. To allow oil to drain out if a seal blows out.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace

By the picture you posted it appears you may have a front seal leak or torque converter issue on the trans.
By torque converter issue do you mean a leak there too or something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2 bolt holes on the sides are for transmission braces. They are a rod that goes from the bell housing to the block motor mounts. They really should be there because the trans case can crack without them. Center hole is always open. To allow oil to drain out if a seal blows out.
Good to know! I'll have to look closer to see where the brace mounts at and I definitely won't be driving it til that gets fixed

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
By torque converter issue do you mean a leak there too or something?
Yes, The torque converter can swell, split, crack, leak as well

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
It is also possible the TC is installed wrong, and not seated in the transmission input all the way.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
The seal can also pop out of the pump for several reasons.
With that much leakage could be the problem.
Bottom line, tranny needs to come out.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,988 Posts
The braces go from that shield to brackets on the side of the block behind the motor mounts.

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
491 Posts
Yep People forget to add spacers between the FP and the TC then that causes the TC to sit shallow in the Trans pump and sometimes destroy the tranny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts