Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from my service manager today. He told me that the truck was ready. Now here is the kicker!

He asked me why I took the catalytic converter off my truck! He begin to explain that this was against the law and that they would void the warranty for an illegal modification.

This truck did not come with a catalytic converter! All I did was straight pipe the truck! He would not beleive me when I said that 2001-2003 NON-CALIFORNIA trucks did not have catalytic converters! Do any of you guys know of any info I can print from the GM website that would explain this to him so I can pick my truck up in 1 1/2 hours?!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would start with Dr Suess's "Cat in the Hat"

After you feel he is comfortable with that book, I would have him go to the parts department. Let him try to order a Catalytic Converter for your truck. If he is a real sharp fellow, he should figure out your truck was not equipped with it!

·
Registered
754 Posts
What a moron. After you prove to the simpleton that he was completely wrong, be sure to point out that you will NEVER use his dealership's services again for wrongfully slandering you as a lawbreaker, and also mention that you'll be happy to share your experience with his dealership with HUNDREDS of formerly potential customers on truck forums. If he had taken the time to properly research your situation he would have known better, instead he zealously frothed at the mouth of opportunity to threaten you while pointing out how much power he has in being able to void your warranty.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I agree with Geerrhead. That manager will look like a fool when he can't find a converter for your truck. This is a prime example of why you should remove your juice and attitudes before service.
Edited by: GMCSID

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'll say it again, i want what this guy is smoking, it MUST be good stufff... FIND another dealer, QUICKLY, he has no idea what he's talking about.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey I live in Ca. and I took my CAT off do you think my dealer will say the same thing the truck only has 3500 miles on it so if he does I would be pretty screwed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
This guy must be realated to the moron I just got my truck back from.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Ask him to get his "pointer" out and point to where the Cat is supposed to be ... Bet he don't know ..... If he does ask where you modified it to remove ....We need people like that, makes us look like geniuses .... You need to square this up with him in order to keep the Flag from your vin ....

Mac

·
Registered
939 Posts
Wouldn't it be safe to say that because there is no EGR valve on your truck, that there should be no CAT converter on it as well?? That would prove that you didn't have it to begin with. No one else knows how to get rid of the EGR and still have a running DMAX, so I would think you have a great case there...
Then after he agrees tell him to stick it....if this is the kind of treatment you will receive everytime you take your truck in for service (always coming up with yet another reason to void your warranty) they can feed it to someone else... Me, I would be pretty tired of being treated like that...

You probably already have your truck back by now though...

Bob

·
Registered
174 Posts
cdhd2001

I can't believe you are having these kinds of problems with your service manager. Seems like 1 bad person can sure but a bad taste in your mouth about the whole dealership.

The service mngr I work with is talking with his boss about looking into some of the products I am using for their other customers!

My email is PDS_280 (at) yahoo.com please send me a mail, perhapse we can hook up over the phone or through email & I can get you over to my dealership/service advisor.

IMHO, If you have to educate your service manager, I would think about charging your dealership a contract consulting fee for "dealership training" . . .say about $1,200/hr + expenses

But please send me a mail & lets see if we can hook up.

Thanx,
PDS

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First of all, thanks to everyone who replied! (The following is long.)

I believe I went into “panic” mode after my conversation with Joe, the service manager. Although, if YOU were accused of a federal offense, wouldn’t you panic?

In all fairness, I need to give you guys some background info on this dealership and the way it works. This is a large dealership, at one time rated the 3rd largest Chevy dealership in the U.S. Their service department is somewhat unconventional. They have a General Service Manager and under him are five Service managers. Each service manager has his own complete team of specialized technicians and his own shop building/bay spaces. Each one of these service managers operates independently of each other. So in effect they have five different service shops instead of one large service shop. The idea was that this helps provide more of a “one on one” experience for the customer.

Okay, back to my situation. About thirty minutes after the call from Joe, the service manager, I called up the two salesmen I used and explained the situation to them. FYI, the two salesmen are good friends of mine and have sold many trucks to me, my family, and friends. Anyway, they said that they would immediately talk to the General Service Manager, and if need be, the overall dealership manager, a.k.a., The Owner. Forty-five minutes pass before they called me back.

Here is what the salesmen find out. They went to the General Service Manager and explained the problem. The GSM looks at my file, punches the VIN number into the database, and WAALAA! The truck DID NOT COME WITH A CATALYTIC CONVERTER. This was something that all three already knew, but the GSM printed it out for Joe’s (SM) education. Okay, they present this to Joe (SM) asked him what the problem is. Here is his response: “The owner of the truck called asking if the truck came with a catalytic converter. I told him I didn’t think so, but would look it up for him.”

WTF!!!!!!!

That was a totally different story than what he told me on the phone!

I was then reassured that the GSM believed my story and not Joe’s. Everything was settled and it was okay to pick my truck up.

Now this is funny. When I walked into the common office for the SM’s, I spot Joe and ask him if my truck is ready. He sheepishly says “yes”, then hands my paperwork over to another guy. I then said to Joe, “Well, I was beginning to think you were the Furur Incarnate! Did you get that catalytic converter thing figured out!?!” He immediately ran out the door muttering that he would go fetch the GSM for me. It was quite fun and stress relieving to explain the catalytic converter incident to the rest of the SM’s!!!!

I then had a 30-minute discussion with the GSM. He explained that Joe was a new guy from a different dealership that operated differently. He also hinted that this was not Joe’s first screw-up, but that it was his last! Anyway, I also asked him about the auxiliary fuel filtration question. He said that I could do anything that I wanted with the fuel system from the tank to the OEM filter. This would not void the warranty. However, if I tampered with the fuel system from the OEM filter to the engine, then GM (not the dealership) would void the warranty. This is okay with me, as I planned on installing the Nicktane Cat filter. In conclusion, the GSM gave me his phone number and told me to call him if I ever had anymore trouble with one of the SM’s.

I then spent an hour and half discussing this and BS’ing with the two salesmen (my friends).

I will use their service department again, on the condition that if Joe is still working there he is not to touch my truck. (I seriously doubt he will be there next time!) The dealership already knows the alternative and how close they were to loosing my business!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Excellant ..... That's the way to handle the problem such as this,seems like a reputable dealer that also wants your business ... Now you have peace of mind where they and you stand ....

Mac

·
Registered
747 Posts
So, if my truck (which should be delivered in a little over two weeks) has a cat on it and I remove it, I will have to replace it if the truck ever needs service? If this is the case, it looks like time to revert to the cut and gut method again. Man, it has been a long time since I got to do one that way.
dmaxalliTech, if it does come with a cat and egr, is there any way to get rid of the egr without damaging the engine. I have never had a problem with removing the egr on my gassers, but this will be the first non-tractor diesel I have owned. Looks like it's time to check the oxy and acetylene tanks in preparation for the cat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts