Diesel Place banner

Help after ip change

Question: 
5K views 83 replies 8 participants last post by  dieselolds 
#1 ·
New here but have had 6.5s for a while now. I've done research but am at loss.

I have a 1995 k1500 6.5
Situation started With erattic idle and then hard start when hot. So I just replaced my 5288 injection pump with a reman 5521 from Pensacola fuel injection. After purging air I finally got the truck to start and idle . The problem now is I have throttle response when in park or neutral but once in any gear there is absolutely zero throttle response. From what I have researched I should have no issue with my current prom (BXRD 1624 4850) when switching my 5288 pump to the reman 5521. Is this correct?

The codes pulled are as follows

DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Short) -PMD or Injection Pump fault
DTC 19 - Crankshaft Position Reference Error

I will add that I have a brand new pmd from Leroy diesel with a 9 resistor

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Describe the problem you are having in detail: No throttle response after injection pump install

2. Year of truck/engine.
3. Odometer reading (indicate miles or kilometers). 273xxx

4. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......). Ds4 5528 was old pump new reman is 5521

5. Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD. 1500

6. Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code 8th VIN digit) Had egr but swaped intake to non and deleted vac system
7. Air Filter condition (visual check). Clean/new

8. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed, mileage since changed). new

9. Location of PMD/FSD? (ex. on pump/remote over intake, behind bumper). new pmd behind front bumper

9a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from which vendor). harness and pmd from leroy diesel

9b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire. stock location on Ip

10. Outside Temperature (C or F). _ ° 75

11. Service Engine Light while running?- on/off/intermittent. on dtc 19 and dtc 35

11a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes/No yes

12.Have you scanned for engine codes? Yes/No yes

12a. List exact results on engine codes. Dtc 19 dtc 35

13. Condition of Battery terminals (removed, cleaned and tightened).
Clean and tight

14. Known condition and age of Batteries.
New

14a. Are batteries a matched set of same age?yes

15. Condition of Major Grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened) grounds good

15a Have the batteries been individually load tested?
No
16. Does engine crank, or "turn over"?
Yes
16a. Does engine start and run?
Yes with fethering throttle

17. If engine does not start- Crack injector line: do you have fuel? Yes/No
18. Does your Wait To Start light come on?
Yes

18a.Number of seconds WTS light is lit.
8 to 10

19. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer).
Normal with full charge

20. Are you experiencing Stalling?
Sometimes
20a. Describe the event (upon startup only, down the road, hit a bump, etc...)
Sometimes on startup after new ip

20b. Do you notice loss of dash or instruments?
No
21. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions.
No obstructions

22. In a no-hot start, pour a bottle of room-temp water on the injection pump. Does it start now?
Old pump did

23. Lift pump test - Describe results.
Lift pump in working condition

24. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Yes/No
No
25. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? Yes/No
No

26. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts? Yes/No
Yes

27. Have you used the block heater? Does it affect engine starting? (only try for starting problems).
Not used yet
28. Are all glow plugs in proper working order?
Yes
29. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? Yes/No
Unknown haven't benable to drive
30. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues?
No

31. Turbo check out - Pass/Fail

32. Indicate fuel that you are using: Bio-Diesel, #2 Diesel, SVO/WVO, other
32a. If running Veggie Oil fuel setup, indicate details of your conversion (homemade or packaged system).
33. Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list.
34. Upon unscrewing fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? Yes/No
No
35. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having?
No

36. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose

Engine re ringed at 273xxx miles
New rings
New connecting rod bearrings
New head gaskets
New rear main
Head studs
new reman injection pump from Pensacola fuel injection

Flopro 3in down pipe to 4in and 2.5 in crossover
Aftermarket intake
Manual waste gate
FTB MOD
Pmd relocate
Boost,EGT, fuel pressure gauges
Dual thermostats and ho water pump
High idle switch
Pt wiring solutions hd lift pump
Leroy diesel lift pump harness

#3 ·
I would address code 19 first. Use an AC/Delco replacement part

#10 ·
I couldn’t get a new acdelco crank sensor the last time I looked around.I just wanted a spare to have on standby but was unable to find one so I bought a NTK brand.

Reactions: OkDually
#7 ·
Try accurate diesel in Michigan.Tim is great to deal with.Great customer service👍

#8 ·
Thank you! I was just on their website. I've had great experience with them before but kind of forgot about them. Hopefully I can return the probably faulty pump without issue and see if they can hook me up. Unless somehow I figure out some other issue.

#12 ·
Unplugging the optical is supposed to put the engine in limp mode and your right,one of the sensors has to function properly.Dieselpro is most likely right about the pump being the culprit.

#17 ·
Perfect.Let us know how everything goes when you install the new sensor.

#19 ·
If you unplugged the OS. With the CPS plugged in, and the engine died. That along with the code usually means the CPS is bad. I would replace it before pulling the IP and sending it back.
Bad idle, and problems starting are symptoms of bad CPS. Also After installing new one it is best to do a relearn if possible.

#21 ·
If you unplugged the OS. With the CPS plugged in, and the engine died. That along with the code usually means the CPS is bad. I would replace it before pulling the IP and sending it back.
Bad idle, and problems starting are symptoms of bad CPS. Also After installing new one it is best to do a relearn if possible.
Yes definitely worth a try in replacing the crank sensor since it is throwing a code anyway.Good advice Tommy.👍

#23 ·
When I assembled my engine back in 2015 after installing a new acdelco crank sensor and new injection pump from badger diesel all I did was a KOKO (key on/key off) procedure.I didn’t have a single problem after that.

#25 ·
That is true.👍

#26 ·
So just an update. The guys from Quadstar got back with me and said the my 5288 and 5521 aren't interchangeable. He said my truck should of never had a 5288.

But right now I've got a different problem as in like [COLOR=rgb(49, 130, 233)][B][SIZE=4]dieselolds[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] said the cps can be difficult to remove...mine was. Well still is rather I'm currently in the process of pulling the timing cover to get the old one out.
So we will see when I get off work today if I can get it out.

#30 ·
So just an update. The guys from Quadstar got back with me and said the my 5288 and 5521 aren't interchangeable. He said my truck should of never had a 5288.

But right now I've got a different problem as in like [COLOR=rgb(49, 130, 233)][B][SIZE=4]dieselolds[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] said the cps can be difficult to remove...mine was. Well still is rather I'm currently in the process of pulling the timing cover to get the old one out.
So we will see when I get off work today if I can get it out.
Here is the IP application chart to show info on the 5288 and 5521 pump and model year it went to on pg 4 and pg 5
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/a...s-master-list-information-6-5-answers-119.pdf

Removal tips for the CPS: Replacing the crankshaft position sensor

Reactions: dieselolds
#27 · (Edited)
The CPS needs to be butchered to get out.
Most of the time it will crumple as you try to pry it out.
Then you need a strong somewhat longer flathead and found a fulcrum point to pry it out.

It took me 3 days.
I had to take out the alternator, removed the bolt to P/S pump and set it aside (keep the hoses connected) so I can have a clear view of the sensor.
Then I tried to pull the cable and it crumpled.
Drill the part, still does not move but it breaks a chunk of it where I can put a flat blade screwdriver to pry it out. (on 3rd days).

#29 ·
The CPS needs to be butchered to get out.
Most of the time it will crumple as you try to pry it out.
Then you need a strong somewhat longer flathead and found a fulcrum point to pry it out.

It took me 3 days.
I had to take out the alternator, removed the bolt to P/S pump and set it aside (keep the hoses connected) so I can have a clear view of the sensor.
Then I tried to pull the cable and it crumpled.
Drill the part, still does not move but it breaks a chunk of it where I can put a flat blade screwdriver to pry it out. (on 3rd days).
Yeah I tried for about 5 hrs and finally just gave up. I need to replace my front main anyways and also this will give me an excuse to Check the timing chain. I should have it out today after work but my new gaskets won't get here till Thursday.

#28 ·
It’s the o-ring on the body of the sensor that is causing all the grief.They are suckers to get out.

#33 ·
Incase anyone was curious here is the new sensor compared to what's left of the old!!!

Timing cover ended up coming off and after very careful 20 minutes with a hammer and punch it finally came out .....and the cover is still intact. Now is just the tedious process of old gasket removal.

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Rim Cylinder

#35 ·
Quadstar is not all the hype you think he is.... 5288 was superseded by the 5521 which is the basic standard for quite some years. If it don't run right get rid of it. But a good 5288 will run as good as a 5521. No reputable dealer would build one to 5288 specs as newer improved parts are in the 5521.

#36 ·
That's kinda what I gathered from the chart that OkDually shared was that there should be no issues between the two pumps. Now that I finally can get the new sensor in I'll see what happens when it's all back together and go from there I guess.

#37 ·
Well i got everything back together. Now the truck is very hard starting and when it does start it usually dies right away. I was able to get it to idle but it was white smoke like crazy out the tail pipe. Is my timing off? Is the pump junk? Any one have any ideas?

Also I know some one mentioned the koko procedure. Will that work on obd1?

#38 ·
Well i got everything back together. Now the truck is very hard starting and when it does start it usually dies right away. I was able to get it to idle but it was white smoke like crazy out the tail pipe. Is my timing off? Is the pump junk? Any one have any ideas?

Also I know some one mentioned the koko procedure. Will that work on obd1?
KOKO procedure is for OBD2 only.
I would grab the correct timing software and verify TDCO

Reactions: Hammy229
#39 ·
New here but have had 6.5s for a while now. I've done research but am at loss.

I have a 1995 k1500 6.5
Situation started With erattic idle and then hard start when hot. So I just replaced my 5288 injection pump with a reman 5521 from Pensacola fuel injection. After purging air I finally got the truck to start and idle . The problem now is I have throttle response when in park or neutral but once in any gear there is absolutely zero throttle response. From what I have researched I should have no issue with my current prom (BXRD 1624 4850) when switching my 5288 pump to the reman 5521. Is this correct?

The codes pulled are as follows

DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Short) -PMD or Injection Pump fault
DTC 19 - Crankshaft Position Reference Error

I will add that I have a brand new pmd from Leroy diesel with a 9 resistor

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
don’t know if you solved your issue or not but I have had this issue twice in recent years. Both times it was the jumper harness going to the sensor

#47 ·
Well I'm still weirded out. I unplugged the extention harness to the optical sensor and the the truck.would rum but not idle ....so I unplugged the cps and truck started and is currently idling great. So I plugged the cps back in and no change in idel ....only thing is I still have delayed throttle when in gear ....its better than before...and it startes to build rpm but it is very delayed......im going on a quick test drive in hopes I can make it home to see how it acts .
Only code now is dtc 19 from.me unplugging the cps then plugging it back in

#48 ·
I would change out that CPS ( AC/Delco brand)

#50 ·
You may have to order it online. Try searching eBay for NOS CPS

#52 ·
You might also check Rock Auto for the OEM starter bolts (y)

Reactions: Hammy229
#57 ·
My batteries are not happy with me after all the cranking here lately...after charging most the day yesterday and today they finally held up enough. So the symptoms now are with the cps plugged in the truck will white smoke like crazy with erattic idel ...with it unplugged it takes longer to start (obviously) but once start it runs fine. Now I know I need to do the tdco relearn regardless but I guess my question is will that solve the issue or could my "new" cps be bad . I have a Ntk one on order and I'm still looking for an acdelco one but they seem hard to find

#61 ·
If you find a non OEM crank sensor that works great let us know. The 6.5 is notorious for causing all kinds of problems with the off brand sensors. Evidently the 6.5 ECM has trouble recognizing the signal and creates havoc No one here has used an oscilloscope to verify what is going on with these sensors. I suspect some evil conspiracy in the part but I don't have the time to investigate the problem. I may have been the one here that discovered this issue years ago...

#64 ·
I know it's been a minute.. but finally thanks to the snail mail I got my all cable today.

But this issue is with the cps plugged in I can't get the truck.to.run long enough to do a TDC relearn unless my high idle switch is on.
But when I unplug the cps the truck will run fine then I plug the cps in clear the code then do the relearn and while it's doing the relearn it white smokes and dies before it can finish ....any ideas what to.try?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.