Diesel Place banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
94 c2500 6.5, 94 k3500 6.5, 97 K3500 6.5 01 3500 Cummins 07 2500hd duramax
38 Posts
Are you talking the optical sensor or the cps?
The optical sensor. (The jumper wire with the noise reducer in it) 1 end plugs into the engine harness and the other end plugs into the optical sensor. Take that section out and plug the engine harness directly into the optical sensor. Both times I had this issue I had the same codes and the same problems

·
Registered
95 chevy k1500 silverado
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The optical sensor. (The jumper wire with the noise reducer in it) 1 end plugs into the engine harness and the other end plugs into the optical sensor. Take that section out and plug the engine harness directly into the optical sensor. Both times I had this issue I had the same codes and the same problems
Thanks for the tip I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. I was curious as to what that little jumper was for

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the tip I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. I was curious as to what that little jumper was for
It’s a “noise” reducer supposedly made to reduce electronic interference between the IP and the computer. I have driven over a 100,000 miles without it and never had a issue

·
Registered
38 Posts
If this doesn’t work reach out to me and I’ll see if I can help you. I have plenty of experience with these trucks personally and professionally

·
Administrator
22,706 Posts
It’s a “noise” reducer supposedly made to reduce electronic interference between the IP and the computer. I have driven over a 100,000 miles without it and never had a issue
For reference, this is what the filter looks like.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

If you follow the wires from the top of the Optical Sensor down you'll see the filter ( if equipped. It may have been removed already by a previous owner or never had it.)
If you find it then disconnect it from the harness and make sure everything else is plugged back in. Then throw away the filter. It is well know to cause performance issues

·
Registered
95 chevy k1500 silverado
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well I'm still weirded out. I unplugged the extention harness to the optical sensor and the the truck.would rum but not idle ....so I unplugged the cps and truck started and is currently idling great. So I plugged the cps back in and no change in idel ....only thing is I still have delayed throttle when in gear ....its better than before...and it startes to build rpm but it is very delayed......im going on a quick test drive in hopes I can make it home to see how it acts .
Only code now is dtc 19 from.me unplugging the cps then plugging it back in

·
Administrator
22,706 Posts
Well I'm still weirded out. I unplugged the extention harness to the optical sensor and the the truck.would rum but not idle ....so I unplugged the cps and truck started and is currently idling great. So I plugged the cps back in and no change in idel ....only thing is I still have delayed throttle when in gear ....its better than before...and it startes to build rpm but it is very delayed......im going on a quick test drive in hopes I can make it home to see how it acts .
Only code now is dtc 19 from.me unplugging the cps then plugging it back in
I would change out that CPS ( AC/Delco brand)

·
Registered
95 chevy k1500 silverado
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I would change out that CPS ( AC/Delco brand)
Yeah I couldn't find one on short notice but I think I'll go to the local chevy dealer that's about the only place I can think to find one. The truck seemed ro run fine other than it seems to lack some of the power it had before ...and I have a slight white haze fron the tail pipe like it's unburnt fuel ...could this mean my pump needing to be turned one way or the other.

Also if it ain't one thing it's another, yep those are starter bolts ...thank God the block didn't crack just the stud for the bracket, and yes I did have my bracket on . I believe just from all the cranking lately the bolts just got loose enough for it to move around. But the good news is the broken pieces came out easy.
Household hardware Gas Nickel Composite material Auto part

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,706 Posts
You may have to order it online. Try searching eBay for NOS CPS

·
Administrator
22,706 Posts
You might also check Rock Auto for the OEM starter bolts (y)

Reactions: Hammy229

·
Registered
38 Posts
No I do not. I did a little bit of research about one but haven't gotten that far yet
i have a tech 2 now but 1 of my old laptops has the gmtd software. If you need it I can send it to you. You would just have to buy the usb to obd1 cable

·
Registered
95 chevy k1500 silverado
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
i have a tech 2 now but 1 of my old laptops has the gmtd software. If you need it I can send it to you. You would just have to buy the usb to obd1 cable
My wife has a laptop that will work I will just have to find a cable and get the software.
Is the best place to get it the engh guys? Also any good places to get a cable ...will any USB to obd1 cable work?

·
Registered
95 chevy k1500 silverado
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
My batteries are not happy with me after all the cranking here lately...after charging most the day yesterday and today they finally held up enough. So the symptoms now are with the cps plugged in the truck will white smoke like crazy with erattic idel ...with it unplugged it takes longer to start (obviously) but once start it runs fine. Now I know I need to do the tdco relearn regardless but I guess my question is will that solve the issue or could my "new" cps be bad . I have a Ntk one on order and I'm still looking for an acdelco one but they seem hard to find

·
Registered
38 Posts
My wife has a laptop that will work I will just have to find a cable and get the software.
Is the best place to get it the engh guys? Also any good places to get a cable ...will any USB to obd1 cable work?
most people buy The software fromhttps://gmtdscan.com// as for the cable anyone should work…I bought mine on eBay

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
@Hammy229 Scott, sorry for the miscommunication. We are trying our best and even hired more help this year but mistakes will happen.

I've used your email as a learning opportunity this morning and we talked it over here to make sure everyone knows how to answer differently next time.

Quadstar is not all the hype you think he is.... 5288 was superseded by the 5521 which is the basic standard for quite some years. If it don't run right get rid of it. But a good 5288 will run as good as a 5521. No reputable dealer would build one to 5288 specs as newer improved parts are in the 5521.
Nice to see you are still on your high horse, never make mistakes, and still don't have the cahones to tag us. My tech mis-read 5288 vs 5068 in the hundreds of emails we get on a daily basis. He tried to help someone here who wasn't even a customer in our system. He also advised him on how to remove the stuck crank sensor.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts