Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1999 van with the 6.5 in it about 137k on it, runs great, well the other day after sitting on a hill, and 2 other times on leval ground it cut out on me, starts right back up and runs fine, except when i was on the hill it started up and ran min or two and died again, did it a few more time even on leval ground a few more times, then it was ok, My mech said to change the fuel filter, So I bought one its under the van I belive its srewd into the lift pump, so How do I change it. Just unscrew pour some fuel into it screw the new one in and crankit.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
There's a metal cover around the fuel filter. Use a 1/2" socket and ratchet to remove the 4 bolts holding it in place. Then you just need to turn the black plastic lock at the top of the fuel filter about a 1/4 turn and it will fall off. The fuel filter will then pull straight down. Make sure you take the bleed fitting off your old filter and use it on the new one so you can connect your WIF sensor wire.

You can either fill the fuel filter before you install it, or open the bleed on the filter base to purge the air out. You'll have to cycle the key a few times to bleed it. Which makes this a really good chance to see if your supply pump is working, if its not, then you probably won't be able to get the van started until you replace it.

Have you checked to see if there are any codes?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel filter

Thanks for the help, he new fuel filter looks just like the old one, with the bleeder on it, I think. there s been no check engins lite, although the other day I noticed the check gauges lite just barely lighting kind like a flicker, if wasn't at nite i wonldn't have seen it, and when you give it gas it disapears. As far as the bleeder screw is it on top the engine or where the filter is

thanks marc

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I suspect the OPS. Reving the engine increases oil pressure and powers the lift pump. The check engine light barely lighting will happen if the oil pressure is low or the coolant temp is high but not redlined.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sounds to me like a lift pump gone bad. You might want to scroll through the frequently asked questions, and take a look at the troubleshooting tips in there. Also, PM Knkreb for van specific questions. He has a 97 or 98.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil Pressure

I have noticed that the oil pressure gauge after I turn the van off still reads 10-20 psi and when its running at idel around 35-38 psi, while driving 40 plus psi, I check the oil and it was 1 quart low, I had a problem with my other truck being 3QTs low and wouldn't run, I can't imagine it being to much going on with it though it runs great plenty of power and get up, I only paid $4k for it, it has some body damage, I need the sliding doors and the passenger door, sorry for going off topic. the guy i got it from did say when he got it it wouldn't run, he had glow plugs put in it. He got it a bulk auction. I was reading the lift pump test I am going to check that, if I can get to bleeder by the thermostat.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
The bleeder by the thermostat will work too, but it will take a little longer, there is one on top of the filter base too.

If you compare the water drain on the old and new filters you should notice that the old one has a stud on it that the new one does not, that stud is for your WIF sensor plug.

This may very well turn out not to be a fuel supply problem at all....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drain

The brass one just behind the oil fill tube is an schrader vale how do you open that vale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts