Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this forum and a new diesel owner. So i went out and got a new fuel filter today and just replaced it. First i changed it started it up and diesel came spilling out of it so i tightened the valve up. was that the right thing to do?
now it doesnt spill out the diesel out of the valve.
Plus i got a fram fuel filter and its got a totally different look but it still fits dont know if it had to be the exact same?
Just learning to mechanic so bare with me LOL :banghead:

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

After installing a new fuel filter you have to bleed the air out of the system. Here is how to do it:

I do not do step #2. I open the bleed valve and wait until the fuel coming out is free of air bubbles. Just put a pan under the back part of the engine to catch the spilled fuel.

Be patient. It will take some time. Do not crank more than 10 seconds followed by 1 minute wait for the starter to cool.

Make sure your batteries are in good shape!

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Just learning to mechanic so bare with me LOL :banghead:
You've come to the right place. There are a lot of folks on the Forum that have experience with these trucks. And they are more than willing to help.

Spend time reading the sticky's at the top of the Forum page. Lots of useful information in them.

On page one of this: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/53309-gm-6-5-faq-obd-codes-diy-parts-list-info-sticky-look-here-first.html#post3576516 there is a link to Adding Personal Signature To Posts. Do this ASAP.

Again Welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright i didnt do any of those steps lol!
I was just following what a guy did on youtube he made it look simple unscrew take out than put the new one in. bada boom bada boom done lol.
The whole fuel spilling out of the valve caught me off guard scared me lol.
But i got the plastic one only because i had gotten two from canadian tire and they didnt fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But i did get my girlfriend to start my truck for me a couple times just so i could observe the vavle to check to see if anymore fuel was coming out

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,827 Posts
Well, actually, when the fuel came out from the valve, you actually have bleed the air from the system.

So, what you think was a mistake is actually the right thing to do.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I zip tied the 'nut' from the old metal top filter to one of the AC lines under the hood so I didn't loose it and it would be handy if I ever had an emergency filter change out on the road somewhere and got a metal top one.

I can't remember which way is which but one filter style the bleed only takes a like a 1/4 turn and it gushes fuel and it has got to be good and tight or it leaks. The other style you have to give it a couple turns for it to bleed. I thought I didn't like the plastic ones and scored a few metal ones but I just noticed that truck smells like diesel since I changed the filter. Not sure if its leaking or I just made that big a mess that has not burnt off yet.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
One thing to note that I didn't know-these trucks have the fuel come up the pipe in the bottom of the filter, out into the filter housing, then back into the lower part of the pipe in the bottom of the fuel filter. This is counter intuitive how almost every filter system ive ever seen works as wen they filter inside out of the pleat there is actually reduced filter surface area.

Point is, pull the filter off and all the dirty fuel dumps into the filter housing to be sucked into the injection pump. From my understanding of how the filter works it would be critical to clean the filter housing out after every fuel filter change.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,827 Posts
Yea, I got the feeling that poster did not clean the filter bowl when changing the fuel filter.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
In addition to the cross contamination issue if you don't empty the bowl you make an even bigger mess when you put the new filter in. I was thinking on my next change I would try putting some sort of sucking device on the water drain then opening the bleed thus sucking out most of the fuel before I remove the filter. I use a hand brake bleeder to do things like this.

Reactions: Freddyack

·
Registered
86 Posts
In addition to the cross contamination issue if you don't empty the bowl you make an even bigger mess when you put the new filter in. I was thinking on my next change I would try putting some sort of sucking device on the water drain then opening the bleed thus sucking out most of the fuel before I remove the filter. I use a hand brake bleeder to do things like this.
Just remember to flush out your bleeder well. Diesel does disintegrate rubber. :bigglasse

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts
I use an oil change sucker tank to clean out the filter bowl. I also use it for changing the oil, and it's handy to dump goo out the t-handle filter drain.

Also, I have a relay on the oil pressure switch that lightens the load on the ops and I have a toggle switch under the hood to power the relay so fuel bleeding does not require cranking the motor.
STARTERS ARE EXPENSIVE!!!

From what I have learned, there might be a plastic screen on the center tube in the filter bowl. I plan to pull my spare bowl, rebuild it with the latest screen, and install a new metal top filter when the weather warms up.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
From what I have learned, there might be a plastic screen on the center tube in the filter bowl. I plan to pull my spare bowl, rebuild it with the latest screen, and install a new metal top filter when the weather warms up.
Stanadyne part # 29244 for the screen.

How to install:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts