Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Diesel Place,

New user from Western KY. Right now I've still got a gas burner but am in the market for another truck. Here's what I've got now, and am delivering it to a new owner in Florida next week. 2005 2500HD with a Cognito 7" and Toyo 37's.

Here's a link for more pics: http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/2500HD/

I'm currently looking at a 2003 F-350 with the 6.0L diesel. I'm really wanting opinions on this truck before I buy because of the stories I've heard about the 6.0. Everyone has there own stories, and I'm sure there's something wrong with all brands of trucks if you talk to enough people. Here's the specs on the truck:

2003 F-350 Crew cab dually
40,000 miles
FX4 off-road package
Lariat
White/tan leather
Sunroof
Heated seats

The truck has a salvage title right now. A friend of mine has it for sale, but I haven't seen it yet. I know him well enough that he wouldn't lie to me. The truck has water damage. They're pulling the injectors right now and so far it doesn't look like the motor took on any water. The only body damage is on a set of aftermarket nerf bars from where it was lifted with a forklift. If I buy the truck, the only thing I'll have to do is pull the carpet, clean everything, and change the fluid in the rear-end. I was told that the water didn't get above the pedals.

I've rebuilt cars/trucks before and I've always stayed away from water damaged vehicles. Lots of people around here have rebuilt those with no troubles later.

I can buy the truck for $17,500, and have no trouble sending the title through rebuild here in KY. Basically it won't cost me anything to fix it other than labor for the clean up and fluid change, and it'll be running with no problems. If there is a problem starting, then that'll be fixed before it's sold.

Anyway, thanks for having a great site. I've been lurking on here for a little while and finally decided to join.

John

·
Registered
100 Posts
With the rep of the 6.0 I think I would be a little concerned. Have you checked the Market place ads here? I have an 01 dmax for sale in Southern Illinois (not to far from you).
Dave

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That's a nice looking truck!

You will probably be better asking the F*rd question on thier forum, I don't know much about them. heard about head gaskets and oil leaks but can't confirm.

As far as water damage, most likely fresh water huh, unless someone took a long drive. You could be setting yourself up for future rust problems. I would wash the crap out of it and dry it then inspect and paint it, don't forget the inside of the doors. Electrical could also be a problem. Fuel tank should be dropped and flushed. I'd also change every fluid the thing has.

Welcome and good luck.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome guys. I guess I didn't realize there was a separate forum for GM and Ford... Never paid that much attention.

davecharles: I'll check out your truck, but if I bought a Chevy I'd want an 03+. I've also gotta stay with Team White...

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Unless you plan on running the wheels off the the ford, I wouldn't buy it. Salvage titles can be a bear to get rid of.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MGlickLBZ;1583041; said:
Unless you plan on running the wheels off the the ford, I wouldn't buy it. Salvage titles can be a bear to get rid of.
I agree on that. I've had a few rebuilt vehicles before and it took a little longer, but this one's pretty cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts