Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an '04 Cummins HO with 6 speed today. Anyone know about 'break-in' for the rear end?

Also wondering if there is a source for fuel filters at discount and in bulk? Remember, I had a Duramax for 160,000 miles. With all the injector and fuel problems I spent over $6,000 fixing, I don't want to repeat this with Dodge.

Thanks for any help.

It's.......Captain Mal

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good question - since they changed to American Axle, I dont know. As far as filters and such, go to your nearby Cummins dealer and by direct. Cummins NW sells the oil filters (Fleetgard) for about $7/ea and the fuel filter (for my older truck) for $15/ea. Check out Geno's garage also, they might have a filter deal that comes close to buying direct from Cummins. Do not use FRAM filters in any way shape or form. I've heard they can void your warranty...

As far your Duramax injection problems go, the new Cummins ISBe has the same Bosch system I hear. Same sort of precautions should apply for both trucks.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Big Russ said:
As far your Duramax injection problems go, the new Cummins ISBe has the same Bosch system I hear. Same sort of precautions should apply for both trucks.
captainmal....... it pays to research before you buy.

I don't think you are safe wherever you go.

Duramax.... Bosch High Pressure Common Rail

Cummins.... Bosch High Pressure Common Rail

Navistar.... CAT licensed HUEI and the rest of the story.

Yes... find a good filter supplier.

Happy shiftingEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
33 Posts
"captainmal....... it pays to research before you buy."

I think he already did and found out the hard way on the first go around

Cummins has been using the HPCR in Eurupe for some time and I am sure that they didn't use the consumer as BETA testers as some large auto companies do

Check out the TDR and as Big Russ mentioned Geno's is a good place to buy fleetguard stuff.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bad ending to a good truck. Thank God I get rid of my trucks at 50,000. I've been down that road with some of the Fords (not all)I've owned in the past and it's a true nightmare. I was stupid and pig headed and burned $25,000 chasing a lemon. I know that sounds foolish but it was me against the truck. The truck won. Never again, if I start in with the same problems over and over, it's gone. GM's been fine so far........

·
Registered
33 Posts
Topgas,

You shouldn't run into a problem with your GM's since you get rid of them at 50K.

I can't afford to do that, so I will just keep driving my POS Dodge/Cummins for another 240K
Edited by: Kinze

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Kinze! I'll assume you have a Dodge CTD - what year and any mods? I come over here to check on the Cummins section on occasion, but I usually reside at http://www.nwbombers.com Come on over some time!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Get the nictane 2 mic CAT filter kit (sold here).
I just put one on and im hoping it will save my injectors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too said goodbye to Duramax, hello (again) to Cummins. Like I said previously I had a 94 and 99 Ram prior to my 02 D/A.

No complaints with the Duramax, just time for a change. My brothers 03 Ram with the H/O 6 speed was leaps and bounds better than my previous ones.

Captain MAL, your reporting on the 6 speed towing, along with the current rebates and other incentives pushed me over the fence.

The fact that I got a white Quad cab HO 6 speed was coincidental Mal.....all they had on the lot in the 3500 with SRW.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MABurns,

Did you have any mileage on the Duramax? The injector trouble for me didn't start until I had 117,000 miles on it. Then, the trouble would not stop.

I stand by every word of my Cummins towing experiences. The only qualifier is that my current unloaded mileage is not up into the 20's as I predicted it would. Looks like 18 - 20 tops is going to be the norm with 17 in town for mpg. Still hard to believe how effortlessly my new Dodge/Cummins tows.

Dodge/Cummins sure has changed the package for the better since '02. I have friends that had a '99 and an '02. The guy with the '99 now has an '03HO and the guy with the '02 is trading later in the coming year.

When I bought my Duramax this package did not exist in it's present form. Had I bought the Duramax then, over this current DC, I would really have had bitter regrets.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Congrats on the new truck
. I break in for the 03 was first 500 miles unloaded, then your first 500 miles towing go easy not above 50 mph. You are going to love it. Mine has had 11,000 beind it and I never needed 1st gear.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TLTBOWEN,

Welcome.

I'm also just around 11,000 miles. Time flies when your towing fun. Retired from towing for a couple of months as this beautiful weather in Florida cannot be passed up.

I did my first tow with about 500 miles on the truck and haven't looked back. Crossed the country two times in late November/early December. Tows like a dream.

Guess there is a first gear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1st gear?? Only time I need first gear is to idle the truck into the garage.

Guess I haven't pulled a heavy enough load to start in first gear yet.

MikeyB

·
Registered
70 Posts
My brother's 03 (6-speed HO with 25,000 miles) has never seen better than 22 MPG highway and only gets that @ or below 2000 RPM. I can live with 20 MPG in a full size 3500 pick-up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Captainmal -

Last time I checked, Fleetguard did not make a 2 micron filter. I would definitely consider an add-on...JMHO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Trip said:
Captainmal -

Last time I checked, Fleetguard did not make a 2 micron filter. I would definitely consider an add-on...JMHO.

The factory filter for the '03 Cummins is a Fleetguard Stratapore 2 micron cartridge style filter. The Fleetguard prefilters go down to 10 micron I believe.

MikeyB

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had a letter from Cummins that talked about the Fleetguard filters. Can't find it as it may be at my northern house. Gist was that they did not publish a micron rating due to some kind of percentage cycle. This ment to me, there was no real standardization for micron filtration at 100% so you could almost ascribe any rating you wanted on your product.

Cummins/Fleetguard emphatically stated that using their filters is what you want to do. They claim they work well and nothing more is needed to clean up 'normal' quality fuel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mikeyb:

At what % does it filter to 2 microns? I'm real curious as I was running a Fleetguard FS1000 on an older truck, and wanted to upgrade to 2 mic filtration. They said no such animal...and this was at Cummins?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Trip,

The Fleetguard Stratapore filter for the '03 Cummins is the FS19579. If you're looking for a remote filter system try Stanadyne FM100 series.

MikeyB

1 - 20 of 25 Posts