Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay all... first time post... and a question... Im looking at chevy 2500... short bed.... Can I upgrade with heavy susp.. or air bags to increase to a 1 ton... want to tow a fifth wheel toy hauler here is some info on the trailer

Unloaded Vehicle 13380
dry hitch weight 2920
gvwr 16940

I dont want a duelly was wondering if I could make a beef up 2500 to work...

thks
art

·
Registered
192 Posts
i order to get some heavy duty suspension try finding a 3500 dually springs that is pretty much the only way to get close to 13000 gvw

·
Registered
35 Posts
add a 5000lb rated air bag or 2500lb with in cab control. ajust it,s self auto when you hook trailer or unload your tailer for better ride unloaded. Lift rite is what i used. good luck

·
Registered
499 Posts
You can get a single rear wheel 3500, though it is only available with the long box. But it will get the heavier rear spring, the 265 tires, the steel wheels, and the capability to tow that tow hauler.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Hay all... first time post... and a question... Im looking at chevy 2500... short bed.... Can I upgrade with heavy susp.. or air bags to increase to a 1 ton... want to tow a fifth wheel toy hauler here is some info on the trailer

Unloaded Vehicle 13380
dry hitch weight 2920
gvwr 16940

I dont want a duelly was wondering if I could make a beef up 2500 to work...

thks
art
You can beef it up. However it will still be overloaded. The GVWR will remaine 9200 pounds on your turck. Springs, Wheels, tires and such all play in to the the carrying capacity.

That RV will exceed both the GVWR or your truck and The GCWR of your truck.

That RV loaded to its full GVWR will exceed the GCWR of a 1 ton dually.

That said if you keep the trailer at or below 16000 when loaded it will not exceed the dually.

The problem is not the power to pull it. The problem is the ability to stop it and carry the weight.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wasted money

I own both a 2500HD gasser and 3500 dually diesel, the 2500HD was my fifth wheel hauler. I added Bilstein shocks and Timbren rubber springs to try and beef it up plus a $1000 hitch. I also had considered new springs for the HD. My 5'er weighs 9500lbs fully loaded for a trip, so with 5 passengers and a load of fuel plus pin weight. I am at 9200lbs with the 5'er hooked up, which is the GVWR for the 2500HD. You will easily exceed that number with that loaded toy hauler. I'm selling my 2500HD this week, and now I feel that the money I spent to band-aid the HD was wasted. I should have done it right the first time because I'll always have something to tow, whether it's a car hauler or an RV. Now I have to spend that money again, Bilsteins, Line-X, new hitch, bug shield, ect, ect. The HD carried the load well, but at that GVWR I had to count every pound. I figured it wasn't worth the risk towing way overloaded, when I considered who my passengers were. Mike Z

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a K2500HD with the short bed. My old truck (1998 K3500) had the same GVWR (9200) but would carry 3400lbs on the pin and only settle 2". This truck will go to the rubber bumpers with 3400lbs. GM sure screwed things up on the springs on the 2006 K2500. The pin weight is rated at 3014lbs. 800lbs on the pin will sink the truck 1", 3000lbs will sink it 3.5". If your pin weight is constant and around 3000lbs a set of Timbrens (www.Timbren.com or www.truckspring.com) would be the least cost ($155) and trouble free with a lifetime warranty. I have mine set to clear the axle about 1" with no weight on the pin. 800lbs will put them on the axle and they will go down another 1" with 3400lbs on the pin. It takes about 20 miles on bumpy roads to break the Timbrens in so they have some give to them. The air bag route will give you more adjustment for weight range but will cost around $240 for the basic system and another $250 or more for the on board compressor and in cab controls. If you put a 1000lbs or so in you bed from time to time and travel on rough roads you will not like the Timbrens. If you travel gravel roads you run the risk of a stone hitting the air bag causing it to leak. The spec sheet on my truck has it rated at GCWR of 22,000lbs and maxium trailer weight of 15,400lbs for fifth wheel/ gooseneck. With my heavy flat bed trailer I gross up to 36,000lbs truck, trailer and load and have an empty weight of 14,000lbs truck and trailer. I don't go more than 140 miles loaded. So far this truck has handled the load good with no over heating problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey Mjzzz How Bout Sum Mo Pics Of Fishen Lady Woo Woo Wooopeee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great input.... even if I drain all the tanks before hitting the road I will still over the weight of the 2500... going to look at a 3500 single axel... thanks again for all the help

art

·
Registered
72 Posts
The airbag route is nice. I put a kit on my last truck, it's very easy to do. I connected both sides together pnuematically and mounted a single inflation valve and gauge in the back, near the camper connector. There is no need for an onboard compressor as you don't need much pressure in the bags and you don't need to play with pressure adjustment either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
simliar question

I have a very simliar question...

I've been looking at 2500 also...

My question is...

We have a 12,000 lbs tractor. Would it be possible to haul it with the proper trailer? What would the proper trailer be? Gooseneck?

Part two...assuming a 12,000 lbs tractor is too heavy, what about a 7,000 lbs tractor?

We have lots of tractors...i'll find one that fits.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also consider the tires, if the truck has stock 245's (2500HD's) they are only rated to carry a little over 3k pounds, or 6k combined, With a hitch weight alone of close to 3k you will be running very close to max if not over what the tires can support. I went through this same delima, and for me it's not worth the risk and as MJZZZ has stated. I just look at who is going with me, having a blow out at cruising speed with my kids with me wasn't worth the risk.

I can say that I have pulled my existing 5th wheel a few times with my current 2500hd d/a and never felt out of control. It has a pin weight of 2400 pounds (advertised, never confirmed) but you can assume that 20% of the 5th wheel weight would be your pin weight. Using the GVRW of yours it's coming out with a pin weight of almost 3400.

For a point of reference, my current vehicle is a 2500HD EC D/A 4x4, and with 2/3 tank of fuel, and me in the vehicle it weighed 6870. That's without the hitch (removed for winter), my wife, kids, and anything else you would place in the bed of the truck. Not even taking those into consideration you can see 9200-6870 = 2330 pounds of play room. Even a 3500 SRW only has a GVWR or 9900. While helping, you will still most likely be over that as well.

Just trying to give you the facts to help make a decision. There are many people that tow over their allowed weights (me being one) and never had a problem. But Safety should be a major consideration in you choice. I have seen people post articles about accidents and people being over weight and it getting convicted of homicide. Take them as you would any unverified online article, but with today's society it wouldn't shock me if some civil cases weren't brought up.

Either choice you make, enjoy both the truck and the camper!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Consider a Reg. Cab

Although not really a family friendly truck (for lack of seating space). These trucks perform better because of increased Payload capacities compared to the Ext. Cabs and Crew Cabs. The Reg. Cab 2500HD is 3800lbs payload! More than any other truck except the 3500 SRW and duellies. When I put 3000 lbs in the back it still sits pretty level, Over that it squats a little, but still rides pretty normal. Just an option anyway.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Thanks for all the great input.... even if I drain all the tanks before hitting the road I will still over the weight of the 2500... going to look at a 3500 single axel... thanks again for all the help

art
Here's mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Try Here...

We have a 12,000 lbs tractor. Would it be possible to haul it with the proper trailer? What would the proper trailer be? Gooseneck?

Part two...assuming a 12,000 lbs tractor is too heavy, what about a 7,000 lbs tractor?

We have lots of tractors...i'll find one that fits.
Try http://www.gmc.com/sierra/specsDimension.jsp?vehicle=2500hd

or http://www.gmc.com/sierra/specsDimension.jsp?vehicle=3500

Open "Towing Capacities" and scroll down...

Have fun. (Chevy is the same as GMC) :exactly:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kimsobe,

I pulled those web sites up... well that tells the story... looks like a bigger truck... oh darn....... Hehehehehe........ tks

·
Registered
68 Posts
hehe same decision here, I'm sure it was alot of arm twisting as it was for me ;)

Good luck on the truck search.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You can do what ever you want to a 2500 (springs/air bags, etc) still will not change the GVWR or GCWR. Also, depending on what model 3500 SRW you are looking at, the max trailer weight may be less than the 2500. Plus, with the 2500 you can get a short bed which adds a couple of hundred pounds of capability. Examples:

2500 D/A reg cab 4 X 4 8' bed: 15600
3500 SRW D/A reg cab 4 X 4 8' bed: 15400

2500 D/A ex cab 4 X 2 6.5' bed: 15700
3500 SRW D/A ex cab 4 X 2 8' bed: 15300

GCWR for all above: 22000

1 - 19 of 19 Posts