Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a really good tow tune for an LLY? I'm going to do a race with a trailer and need to be able to pull like a train on steroids. Need to show a cummins that a DMAX holds its own when towing. And i know they can pull pretty well. So if anyone does, let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We got a trailer weighing somewhere around 12,000-12,500. Up a small grade. It's probably 1/4 mile or so, maybe a little less. And i know the cummins grunt down low.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Whats the difference between a tow tune and a race tune? They both make more power than stock, maybe slight applications differences.

What if you called it a light race tune instead of a heavy tow tune? I'm with Dmax Tim, load up a big tune and tow with that if you want to haul ass.

I towed about 7000lb's with an edge juice on 5, I just watched my egt's and let er rip. I was going about 150km/h and the trunk lid on my car on the trailer came unlatched and busted in the back window and roof of the car hahahahaha.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
A tow tune normally has a little better overall driving characteristics. It also uses boost and fuel adjustments not only for power, but for good EGT control.

I assume you're talking EFI Live stuff? I know Kennedy and Vortecfcar both have some good ones specifically for towing. I'm sure others do too.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
This is where DSP 5 comes in extremely handy...... Put tunes in with steps, and just watch the EGT's if things get out of hand, you can back it down a little. Chalk another one up for the duramax if you do it right.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i know they are two diffrent products but I agree with the tow tune having diffrent characteristics then lets say a race tune. Example. I run the ppe hot +2et and in level 10 sure it runs like a champ but when towing the egts are out of control so iam always getting out of it and the truck doesnt seem to like it. Compared to when I run it in level 5 which isnt really there tow tune but not as agressive it runs like a champ egts are right where they need to be and I have plenty of power in reserve. Like I said I know we are taking about efi live not ppe but I thought it would just be an intresting comparesen. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.