Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be hauling a 14,000 lb 5th wheel to Arizona in a month or so. Anyone have experience with that knid of load? What should I expect?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I tow a 12K 5vr. No problems.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Need a dually for that size load.....IMHO!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Suggestions - Regular juice - egt guage - 4"flow thru muffler - diesel conditioner - complete understanding of how T/H mode works in the downshift and how to do it. when to use O/D lockout to keep egt's down while rpm stays in the 2200 - 2500 range. (sure you will see 3000 - 3500 - just don't stay there) Try not to drive under 1800 rpm - on any incline - down shift.

Lots of guys talk about running up the side of a Mountain at 70MPH - Drive your guages -power at 2200 -2500 RPM keep EGT's at 1000 but short runs into 1250 are OK and short bursts into 1350 too. (MPH means nothing - it's all about power and heat) Tranny should be OK at 200 degrees - don't worry. Change your rear-end to 90W140 synthetic.

Synthetic Oil will also hold up better in your engine.

Always remember going up hill is a challenge but any trucker will tell you that downhill will kill you!

The D/A is an outstanding machine - but needs respect. Fill up your diesel at busy interstate truck stops - watch out for out of the way pumps.

Peachin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rmax, I pull that same load (14,100 lb fiver) all the time...BUT I've got a dually. Watch the weight on your truck (mine adds 2800 pounds to the rear), your fiver will probably do the same (20% is avg.) Weigh your rig...don't believe the printed weights...they lie! I'd have never believed my truck would weigh 8300 pounds all by itself, but when you add the weight of the hitch, way too many tools, the wife and dogs, and three ice chests, it adds up. Your 2500 won't weigh that much, but you don't have the load rating of the dually either. Short of trading for a dually, you might need to look into 265/85/16s since they are rated around 400 pounds apiece over the245s that I assume still come on the 2500HD.

Sorry about the long post, we RVrs get long winded sometime.

Good luck on your trip.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great advise Peachin. Problem is that some people get the DA on a hill and just wood it for all it is worth. Have to keep an eye on what is going on. I can see in excess of 1300 even with the truck running the stock tune with an air intake and exhaust.

Jess

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
No problems w/ any of the D/A I've had and usually pull 14-15000#

This is my old 03 (#6 BTW).

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
No need to worry, and honestly nothing special to worry about. The truck will pull it with ease. I am not a proponent of the box use so you are on your own there. I think the truck tows excellent in stock trim and you do not have to worry about the "Variables" of bolt on additions.

I would highly recommend changing to synthetic fluids from front to rear at sometime and then add Allisons "Standard" transmission pan and Allisons transdyne synthetic fluid. I did that and noticed a significant difference in trans temp while towing through Mojave desert.

Stick with high traffic gas stations for fuel and I highly recommend the use of FFFP fuel additive.

Best of luck on your trip. Tow safe and have fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I pull about 13,500 when loaded (GCW 21,000 lbs.). I am stock and have no mods. I can pull a 6% grade at 55-60 mph with no problems. An 8% will slow me to about 50 mph. I don't see a need for more power for this size of load. The grade breaking will keep the same 55-60 mph down the 6% and the 8% will require only an occasional tap of brake to keep things steady.

You will want to weigh things and check the rear axle weight. The truck can exceed the tire ratings and still set fairly level. Your tires will be your weakest point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear Dave:

I would be interested in your Exhaust Gas Temperatures when hauling up the 6% grades - do you have a pyrometer attached?

·
Registered
363 Posts
My experience in the mountain West is that as you go up in altitude, boost falls off and EGT goes up. This last week, I was both North and South over I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix and back, and climbing out of Camp Verde, I saw over 1300 with exhaust and air filter mods (my personal limit for a long climb is 1350). I was pretty light, with only 2 horses. Also, Southbound, the coolant temp got up to over the 3/4 tick mark, but the outside air was in the 80's, and we were running about 55 in 3rd.

I agree that you need to know what your real weights on the axles are - they always end up more than we think, and as all the states you will travel through in the West have 70+ speed limits, you can overheat a tire in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Peachin,

I regularily tow my 11Klb trailer through the Mojave desert in the middle of summer during the day up 6% grades for miles. The outside temp was well into the 100's as you might guess. I have both boost and EGT gauges. My EGT's run between 1200-1300 but remain steady there with about 15lbs boost. Tranny temp rises to about 200 but quickly cools down on the backside of the pass. I routinely tow at 75-80 mph. I just cannot do the 55mph thing.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the 2004 2500HD LB which I assume is the same as the 2003 and the max tow rating is 12000 lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will more than likely over gross the truck. But it will pull it..as fast as your willing to go. Stopping can be interesting at times. And with 14000 trailer and say 7000 lb truck you will be under your GCWR of 22000 by 1000 lbs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the input. My first move will be to look into upgrading the tires. I've been running Michelins on my 93 chevy 3500 (single wheel) & have had no complaints. somekevinguy... max trailer weight is 12000 # but with a 5th wheel the max is 15500 # (8' ext cab) I'm fine on trailer weight just close on weight on the truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts