1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

I just floored my Duramax for the first time
. I know! what took me so long?

When I floored it the smoke out the exhaust was unbelievable! Is this normal? I do mostly highway driving. And have really taken it easy on the truck since I bought it. It currently has 12,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I would say it suppose to smoke "some" as it's a diesel,Black,gray'ish in color.....

Mac

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mackin-

It was more grayish not really any black at all.

I drive diesel fire trucks and they are floored, or pretty much near to floored, on a lot of occasions. You have to, to get all that mass moving from a dead stop. They smoke little in comparison. Is it that they are floored more often and "cleaned out" in the process?

The smoke from my truck pretty much took me by surprise.

-Thanks

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
I have had the same thing happen on a number of occasions. some people on the board have told me that its from soot buildup. I seem to notice it more on cold days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gentlemen, we own two Duramax/Allison vehicles, one a 2001 3500 CCab and a 2003 4500. They are used (not abused) for mobile fleet repair. Everything goes well until 40,000 on the 01 and 31,000 on the 03. Then into the shop they go, for three weeks at a time, fuel injectors, leakng fuel lines, no power. It is true that the fuel pressure is up at 27,000 psi.and when the supply and return lines leak internally the engine oil goes external. Isuzu (yes Isuzu and not GM dictates the repairs) will only replace injector(s) that are bad, one at a time, or two or three or four as we have had. The 4500 was smoking so bad that you could not see the truck from 20ft away and I am serious. They replaced all four injectors on the left bank, pressure tested the right bank (as per Isuzu's instruction)and called it good. The truck made it 150 miles and would not go over 30 mph. Towed back to the dealer (who in all fairness is the best one we have
found so far) where the other four were replaced. The 01 is on its second complete set of injectors. Much is made about the quality of fuel, but I have to question why sell a product that cannot use the fuel that is available? Another interesting feature of the Duramax is what GM refers to as "Phantom Idle". Drive along at freeway speeds and without warning the engine rpm drops immediately to idle, no throttle response whatsoever ( the TPS is the throttle pedal, drive by wire) you can (if you don't get run over by the semi behind you) pull over, cycle the ignition several times and it MAY be okay, if not tow to your local dealer, where no logged faults can be found in the engine management computer. The standard reply is always "if it happens when we have it hooked up we could see it" followed by "yes, we know it is a problem". Now for the really interesting part,the GM dealers were really concerned that they were going to get audited by GM for excessive percentages of warranty claims regarding the Duramax until they compared notes with other dealers and found that ALL the dealers that perform warranty on Duramax are in the same situation. If anybody out there thinks this is untrue the dealer that we take our vehicles to performs the same warranty related fuel problems on 10-12 Duramax powered vehicles per day. Even the salesmen do not push Duramax powered units because of all the problems. As for the new 04 engines, the only difference is that the injector position has been changed to make them more accessible, the injectors themselves have not been changed. Do all of you out there realize that a set (8) of injectors installed is $5000? We have existing case numbers with GM for both vehicles and have had long conversations with people both inside and outside GM. The bottom line is that they know there is a problem and they quitely acknowledge that they have no "fix" in sight. The upgraded fuel filter is a "patch" not a cure. Isuzu is pointing the finger at Bosch saying they don't know how to build injectors and Bosch is replying that Isuzu does not know how to design injectors (Bosch manufactures to Isuzu specifications). GM does not know what to do. Ask yourselves this: If there is no problem with the fuel system, why undergo a major redesign after only three years? GM's quoted life expectancy for this engine is 500,000 miles. They admit that it is going to be nowhere near that. After 68,000 miles on the 01 the oil pressure is down by 12psi. Now, take the $7000 premium you pay up front, add $5000 for each 30,000 miles above the warranty 100,000 miles and I will be generous and give the engine a life of 250,000 miles. Thats $31,000. New replacement cost for an engine (complete) is around $15,000. Thats $46,000. You are now in CAT, Cummins territory and you will get 1,000,000 miles out of those units. If any of you think about using the lemon law, don't bother, it does not go above 9,999 lbs GVW and GM is fully aware of that. Sorry to be so long winded, but it really is time for Duramax owners to learn what the real problems

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Isuzu has never been in any decision making arguments that I have seen. Is your 4500 in an Isuzu chassis? I think all of your points have been brought to attention in previous. I find it odd that your 01 is on the second SET of injectors...

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
192553 since bosch doesn't know how to make injectors and both dodge and chev use them, I guess that leaves you buying Fords from now on.

On a side note, whenever things get slow or boring around here I go read in the 6.0L forums on The diesel stop. Now that is what I call quality entertainment.
Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If DuraMax injectors are built by Bosch to Isuzu's spec's, then what are they doing in Cummins? Major fuel sys redesign in 3 yrs? But yet "As for the new 04 engines, the only difference is that the injector position has been changed to make them more accessible, ~~ "

·
Registered
772 Posts
Mine will smoke a bit if I've plugged along in stop and go traffic for a long time and then romp on it. But nothing really remarkable. I have ridden with Nick, though when he's laid down a trail of black smoke that would make an old steam locomotive proud.

TC

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">Update!</V:SHAPE></V:SHAPE>

<V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">It must have been soot buidup like ROCKYMTNDMAX said. I floored it a few times since then and it get's less and less each time. Really not much now. I guess I have to stop driving so easy.</V:SHAPE></V:SHAPE>

<V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">Anyway... I added a "Carbon build up maintenance routine" to my driving pattern.
javascript smilie(':burn:')</V:SHAPE></V:SHAPE><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
JohnnyO said:
<V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">Update!</V:SHAPE></V:SHAPE>

<V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">It must have been soot buidup like ROCKYMTNDMAX said. I floored it a few times since then and it get's less and less each time. Really not much now. I guess I have to stop driving so easy.</V:SHAPE></V:SHAPE>

<V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">Anyway... I added a "Carbon build up maintenance routine" to my driving pattern.</V:SHAPE></V:SHAPE><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><V:SHAPE coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">javascript smilie(':burn:')</V:SHAPE></V:SHAPE>
<

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ShumDit said:
Me ~ just the opposite. I'm gonna take it nice and easy to buildup a major load of sut (yes ~ sut) to dump on someone who'll deserve it
The CC might be useful afterall

ShumDit:

I LOL. That's exactly how I found out about it the first time... Passing some guy who was driving like a
idiot. When I looked in the rear view mirror, he was covered in smoke! It looked like one of those James Bond scenes.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think I've experienced the phantom idle thing ~ accidently bumped the hi-speed idle switch while pulling the trailer. I donwanna ever do that again
Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
yes teh High idle bump definately sends my truck to near-idle.. for some reason its worse with the juice than the predator...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts